Fall in Love

Comeback, Brother!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 9: Fall in Love

 

It’s another shift Jinyoung needed to fill in, as Jihyo, at Il Mondo. It was different that day. He felt like he got all the strength in the universe to work. Partly because of the new uniform Mark bought for Jihyo. The head chef even gave Jihyo her own name tag, which slightly made Jinyoung jealous to Jihyo. He spent the whole night staring at the uniform and the nametag blankly, feeling a bit bitter about the fact that he never had the chance to wear this uniform with a name tag with his name on it. To the chefs he was, probably still would be Junior, the youngest of all of them. That was when the Scheduler came and disrupted him out of his thoughts with, “What are you thinking?”

To which, Jinyoung answered, “Nothing. Just happy that someone treated Jihyo really good.”

He recalled the Scheduler told him something between, “Don’t be jealous over the living,” and “Being down doesn’t really suit your character, Jinyoung.” Somehow, looking at the Scheduler’s face made him bursted out laughing. The Scheduler was right.

 

When Jinyoung entered the front door of the restaurant, he inhaled the familiar aroma, a mixture of melted cheese, butter, and freshly baked bagels. He used to think of bringing Jihyo here to just get the scent of this very aroma. Never had he thought that he really brought her here for the umpteenth time with his own spirit, making her work here. It was still a bit unreal for Jinyoung, but then he was standing at the front door with Jihyo’s pink shirt and her jeans. So there was no denying the fact that he really possessed his own sister. Still couldn’t figure the way out of her body. But that would not going to get into his mind, because he recalled that it should be a happy working time.

“Anyeong Chef Jackson! Anyeong Sous Chef Brian!” Jinyoung greeted them as they went inside the locker room.

“Hey, sis! You look so energetic!” Jackson was surprised to see her this bright.

But before Jinyoung could respond, Brian noticed, “Oh! You have a nametag now?”

Jihyo smiled so bright. “Yes! Park Ji Hyo.”

“Wow, that’s awesome! Congrats sis!” Jackson bro-hugged Jihyo.

“I also got this brand new uniform,” Jihyo pointed at the new Chef uniform that she changed into, moments ago.

“Mark-hyung really treats you well,” Jackson commented.

“I guess there will be more ‘Nice guy- Mark’ from now on,” Brian’s comment brought laughter to all of them.

At the same time, Jaebum came into the locker room.

“Hyung, look, Jihyo got a new uniform AND her own nametag!” Jackson immediately informed the older boy, hyped by the situation.

But Jaebum didn’t give much attention. He just went to his locker and respond without looking at them. “Really?”

Jihyo approached him and showed the uniform. “Look hyung! It’s good, isn’t it?”

Jaebum turned to see Jihyo and nodded hesitantly. “Yeah, it looks good on you.”

Jinyoung who noticed that there was something wrong in Jaebum’s expression asked, “Hyung, are you okay?”

“Uhm? I’m fine..” Jaebum answered shortly.

Jinyoung didn’t buy his lie, he asked again, “Are you sick?”

Jaebum exhaled deeply before answering, “I’m fine, Jihyo-ya. Now can you please go out for a while, we need to change.”

 “Oh. Okay,” Jinyoung went out of the room, still curious by Jaebum’s sudden change of attitude.

 

-00-

 

“What’s wrong with him? He isn’t usually cold like that,” Jinyoung wondered to himself, and at the same time Mark called Jihyo.

“Park Jihyo, what are you doing there? Just come to the kitchen.”

“Oh! Yes, Chef!” Jinyoung rushed to the kitchen.

 

Jinyoung stood in his position, quite far from Mark. That made Mark look at Jihyo weirdly. “What are you doing there?”

“Me? Nothing, You told me to come to the kitchen, so here I am, Chef,” Jinyoung answered innocently.

That made Mark chuckled. “They’re still not ready. And why do you stand so far over there?”

“Aah. Should I come closer?” Jinyoung asked again as he walked closer to Mark.

But when he was near him, Mark asked again, “Why do you come here?”

“Didn’t you just tell me to come closer?” Jinyoung questioned back.

“I just asked why you stand there like a statue. I didn’t ask you to come closer to me. You can go anywhere in the kitchen.”

Jinyoung sighed. Are you joking with me, Chef?

“Anyway, do you like it?” Mark asked as he rolled his eyes to Jihyo’s nametag.

“Oh, this? I like it, Chef! Thank you so much!!” Jinyoung exclaimed happily completely forgetting how Mark just toyed him around.

At the same time the other Chefs came in to Kitchen. Jaebum, who saw Jihyo and Mark were chatting happily and so close like that, got jealous. He sighed and tried to ignore it by throwing his gaze somewhere else. Jinyoung who saw that the Chefs were coming, then went back to his earlier position. He stole a glance at Jaebum before standing next to him. What’s with his expression? It’s making me worry.

But his thought on Jaebum was disturbed by Mark’s usual intro before opening the restaurant.

“Okay, today’s special is Red Hot Fusilli. So, let’s just make Il Mondo a perfect place for a hot romantic Saturday date! Fire!”

“Fire!!!!”

 

-00-

 

Slowly empty seats in the restaurant filled up by customers. And more than half of them were couples. Young ones, mostly. They were completely absorbed in the romantic setting of the restaurant, being touchy and lovey dovey and Jaebum could see everything, from the kitchen. Il Mondo’s kitchen was at the end of the restaurant, with an open view, so the customers can see the food processing and the chefs can see the people eating with joy. Usually Jaebum likes watching lovebirds like them. But it wasn’t the case that day. He was so pissed because the couples reminded him of how close Mark and Jihyo was back then. Sometimes, he stole a glance each time Mark calling Jihyo. He observed how Jihyo smiled to Mark and Mark acting cool. But after she left, there was a little curve at the corner of his lips. It was so irritating for Jaebum. He was burning in jealousy, and somehow it made him want to do something. Just like..

“JB, are you done with the special?” Mark asked as he finished his own special. This day, they were all busy over making the special menu.

“Yes, Chef,” Jaebum answered.

Then Mark came and tasted the special Jaebum made. “Holy ! Do you want to kill the customer?” Mark asked before he took a glass of water hoping his tongue would cool down.

Mark’s face was reddened and that made Jaebum screamed hooray! in his mind.

“Pour half a bottle of whole fat milk to this. Geez. I hope it will tone the spiciness down. What the hell is wrong with you today JB? Seriously,” Mark said that as he glared at Jaebum.

As Mark went back to his stove, Jaebum tried to hold his laugh. What’s wrong with me? It was all your fault. Eat that, hyung!

 

 

-00-

 

 

“I know today is really hectic, but we handled it well. So, thanks for the good work, guys,” Mark wrapped up the day.

“Yes, Chef.”

“But, today JB nearly killed me,” Mark said as he stared at Jaebum.

“I’m sorry Chef,” Jaebum bowed naturally.

“I’m not in any mood to scold you. So, let’s just forget it. But next time, use your sense when working JB,” Mark nagged.

“Yes, Chef.”

“Okay then, goodnight guys!”

 

-00-

 

“Hyung, what’s wrong with you? Is there something bothering your mind? You seemed unfocused,” Jinyoung asked as he walked next to Jaebum.

“I’m fine,” Jaebum answered shortly.

“Don’t lie, Hyung,” Jinyoung insisted.

“I said I’m fine, Jihyo-ya..”

“Well, it’s okay if you don’t want to talk about it with me,” Jihyo pouted. And then they walked in silent. But Jinyoung felt uncomfortable with the silence, so he tried to start a conversation by showing the gifts he got from Mark. “Anyway, I forgot to tell you. I got new school uniform..”

“Oh yeah?” Jaebum tried to act surprise, despite knowing it.

“Uhum.. Chef Mark bought it for me, not only one, but two,” Jinyoung said it cheerfully, but that annoyed Jaebum.

He stopped walking and asked, “Jihyo ya, why did you take it from him but not from me?”

Jinyoung was surprised by the question.  “That’s.. Mmm.. Actually I tried to refuse it, Hyung.. But Chef Mark insisted..”

“I also insisted, Jihyo.. Twice! But you kept refusing.. But, now?”

“Are you angry over this uniform? Hyung.. If I could refuse then I would, but Chef Mark told me that buying me this was just as easy as him buying a snack.. Money is not a big deal for him.. But for us—“

“But for us, what? Because we’re poor and he’s rich? So that’s okay if he take care of you? I’m your guardian, Jihyo.. You are my responsibility, not Chef Mark’s!” Jaebum said firmly.

That made Jinyoung stare at him deeply. He took a deep breath before saying, “Yes, because we’re poor and he’s rich, so it’s okay if he give and I take!”

“You....” Jaebum was speechless.

“Yes, you’re my guardian, Hyung.. But I don’t want to burden you financially.. I know how hard it is to earn money.. So, taking even a little from you, I don’t want it,” Jinyoung said firmly. He continued, “I know you need it to get your drea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter