Chapter 9

Love Letters [part 2] (Sequel to Love and Life [part 1])

 

Ya Lun is standing in the back of the store wearing a night gown. He looks out the door just to peek at Gui Gui who was closing the store. He smiles. it's been a long time since it's been this way, this moment was special to him. he notices her long hair, her features that has matured, but she was still the same Gui Gui.

Xiao Xun is sweeping the floor and keeps seeing Ya Lun's head pop in and out of the doorway. She sighs, feeling annoyed she walks up to Gui Gui, "are you going straight home?"

Gui Gui looks at her and nods, "yeah. My mom recently has a new job, so I have to guard the house at night."

Ya Lun overhears their conversation.

"All alone?"

Gui Gui nods.

"Aren't you scared?" she asks, "you're alone all night, aren't you worried something will happen?"

Gui Gui sighs and shakes her head, "of course not."

"Are you sure? I can stay for the night to keep you company if you want."

"it's really ok," gui gui says with a smile.

Yalun was drawn into her smile, it's been a long time since he could just watche her smile.

"Aren't you gonna get dress?" his uncle asks from behind.

yalun quickly looks at his uncle and takes in a deep breath, "sorry. I really forgot."

his uncle throws the clothes to him and looks out the door noticing he was looking at gui gui. he looks back at yalun who was putting his shirt on, "you haven't changed a bit." he says with a sigh, "but i have to be honest with you, just because you're my nephew doesn't mean i'll allow you to date gui gui."

yalun was confused, "uncle why are you saying that to me? Why, what happened?"

his uncle sighs and sits down on the chair in the room, "after you left to the US have you really cared about her? Two years is a long time in life yalun, are you sure you're not making her waste her time waiting for someone who might just be playing around?"

"why do you say that? do i look like i have an intention?"

he looked at yalun and sighs, "no." there was a pause as he breathed, "but... things aren't the same no more. Yalun, you have a girlfriend now."

"a girlfriend?" yalun questions, "is there a misunderstanding?"

"there shouldn't be a misunderstanding, you're getting married aren't you?"

yalun knew without a doubt in his mind there's no way his dad would let him off that easily.

"i just don't want to see gui gui like how she was after you left two years ago."

yalun finally knew this was his chance to find out what exactly has happened.

"do you know how long she cried after you left? she locked herself in her room for a whole week, she's done crying her tears so don't make her cry anymore. it's so devastating to see a girl cry just because she knows she can't do anything to overcome it. why do people always leave gui gui and leave her with the pain, she's gone through enough."

"uncle," yalun says, "what do you mean by people always leaving gui gui?"

he sighs once more, "not only did you leave her, but so did her dad, her first love, and the month after you left Wang zi left her too. Do you know how hard she tried not to cry. After Wang zi left she just changed. she would barely show a frown to anyone... i don't want that day to come when she finally does... who knows how long she'll lock herself in her room then, she might not even come back out."

yalun sighs not knowing the pain residing on gui gui's shoulders. he turns back to look at her from the small opening of the door, he sees her laughing and smiling.

"whatever happened between you and gui gui, no matter how self-less she is... you must let her be selfish or she'll lose everything."

~~~~~

Gui gui and xiao xun are walking home, yalun is trailing behind them from a far distance.

"are you sure you'll be ok?"

gui gui nods, "don't worry i know how to protect myself."

she sighs and stops at the corner for her turn, "then I'm going home ok. see you tomorrow." she lightly whispers, "whatever happened between the two of you don't let it become distant ok?"

gui gui was confused until xiao xun signals behind her. she then sees him.

"bye," xiao xun says walking on home.

gui gui sighs frustrated, she wanted to ignore him, but now she can't. "why are you following me home?"

he stops walking and looks at her.

silence.

"i.. can't?" he questions strangely.

she shakes her head furiously, "you can't." she walks away but he quickly follows her and grabs onto her arm.

"gui gui, what's wrong with you, you've changed."

she pulls away and decides to keep on walking but he refuses to let go.

"gui gui." he says standing in front of her, "you can tell me just like old times, as if i never left, can't you tell me so i'll be easier on myself. This is torturing me."

she looked at him harshly, "torturing you? you think this is torture?!"

"gui gui," he says holding onto her shoulders firmly, "i like you, you know that already don't you?" the look in her eyes softens a little, but there was still a raging flame. "wang zi gave you the book didn't he? that's why last night you said you did come to airport the day i left." he pauses, "can't we just continue on as if i never left those two years ago?"

gui gui thought his words were crazy, "you think it's that easy to fill in that space like nothing? that space is the reason why i'm suffocating here!" she moves his hands away, "you think we can just go back to two years ago? What day do you want to continue from? the day that i picked up that book? the day that we first met? the day we first kissed? or the day that we became friends?!" she was angry, "we can't continue from it!"

he looks at her a little sadden.

"if you wanted to continue from where we left off, those two years you would've written a letter to me or just send me a message! why didn't you even stay in contact with me?!" tears filled the corner of her eyes.

yalun realizes everytime he talked to her, he was hurting her more but he had the get his words out, "i did write you." he told her, "i wrote you a letter every week, you didn't recieve anything?"

Gui gui covers her ears quickly, "don't even lie to me!"

he moves her hands from her ears and said it again, "i wrote you every friday of every week for two whole years, you really didn't recieve anything?"

she looked at him, her tears were falling.

he looks at her passionately, "i wrote you at least 60 letters, you really didn't recieve anything?"

gui gui looks at him, she believed him. "I didn't recieve anything..." she says to him still crying, "but that doesn't change anything..." she says whimpering, "you're getting married..."

he looked at her, his expression changes, "who told you that?" he was angry, "was it xiao yu?!"

gui gui shakes her head quickly, "no! it wasn't xiao yu!"

ya lun finally lets go of shoulders and in rage is yells to the top of his lungs, in rage. He quickly grabs onto gui gui and drags her with him.

~~~~~