Chapter 23

Love Letters [part 2] (Sequel to Love and Life [part 1])

 

Gui Gui is walking home from school as the light snow falls. Ya Tou and Ah Wei are walking behind her with Xiao Xun who keeps looking at Gui Gui. She feels bad... because... a part of the reason why Ya Lun left was because of her.

Ya Tou also looks at Gui Gui and sighs, "she's been like this for the whole month now, what's wrong with her?"

Ah Wei sighs, "is she still worried about Xiao Yu? Ever since he was dispatched from the hospital, I asked president everyday at work, she tells me he's always asking for Gui Gui."

"How sad," Ya Tou says, "now the only person Xiao Yu can rely on is Gui Gui, he doesn't know anyone else how can he trust others?"

Xiao Xun rushes towards Gui Gui and sighs, "Gui Gui are you ok?"

Gui Gui doesn't answer.

Xiao Xun looks at her, "Gui Gui, cheer up... how about we don't go home today and spend the whole day shopping!"

Ya Tou rushed by with Ah Wei, "yeah! Shopping!!!"

Gui Gui continues to remain silent.

Ah Wei just smiles as well, "ey Gui Gui, my mom tells me if you meet a person who doesn't smile you should ignore them."

Ya Tou pushed him away, "stupid." She clings onto Gui Gui's arm, "we should have a girls day today!"

Xiao Xun agrees, "it'll be good."

Ah Wei clings onto Ya Tou.

She looks at him and then back at them, "a girls day... plus Ah Wei."

Xiao Xun looks at Gui Gui, "what do you say?"

Gui Gui finally breathes and looks at them, "I have to go see Xiao Yu today. Sorry," she says walking ahead without them.

Ya Tou sighs and looks at Xiao Xun, "lately Gui Gui's been visiting Xiao Yu, is this her final decision?"

Xiao Xun remains silent, because she knew it wasn't Gui Gui's final decision... it was Ya Lun's.

~~~~~~~~

"This is nice," Mrs. Yan says as Selina tries on the ring at the Yan's family home.

She smiles brightly, "it's too pretty," she says, "I can't accept it--"

"Please do," Mr. Yan says, "this ring has been passed on in our family's generation."

Ya Lun is sitting there as well, but he's doing the paper work for his exhibit instead.

Selina smiles as the ring with the brightest diamond shines on her finger.

"The wedding's in a week, we should've prepared sooner." Mrs. Yan says with a big smile, she should be excited because this was what she wanted. She then looks at Ya Lun who was minding his own business. She clears , "Ya Lun, what do you think?"

He doesn't even look up but he gives a faint nod, "yes."

Mr. Yan chuckles lightly, "he has a lot of things to do so don't mind him ok Selina?"

She looks at him lightly and nods. "The exhibit's due to open the day before the wedding, Ya Lun's working on his speech. He should be proud, it looks wonderful."

Mrs. Yan smiles, "if it isn't for you he wouldn't have this opportunity."

She shook her head, "this is all of Ya Lun's hard work and dedication, it has nothing to do with me."

The doorbell rings and the maid answers it.

"Come in."

The maid enters into the living room with Gui Gui beside her, "sir and madam, Gui Gui's here to see Xiao Yu."

Hearing her name Ya Lun quickly looks up at her.

Gui Gui doesn't make any eye contact, she just greets them lightly.

Mrs. Yan lets out a frustrated sigh, "she can go."

Gui Gui quickly walks up the stairs.

Ya Lun keeps his eyes on her, Selina notices but she doesn't say anything.

~~~~~~~~~

Xiao Yu is sitting at the corner of his room, crying, a knock comes to the door.

"Xiao Yu..." it was Gui Gui.

Hearing her voice, he quickly rushes to open the door. Seeing her he quickly holds her crying to her, "where were you Gui Gui? I thought you left me..."

She slowly comforts him, "it's ok... I'm here..." She looks at his complexion he's gotten skinnier, his skin is now paler than hers, he was such a mess. "Are you hungry?" She asks, "why didn't you eat?" She holds onto his hands, "let's go eat."

She leads him down the stairs, once again Ya Lun watches her as she enters into the kitchen with Xiao Yu. He lets out another breath.

In the kitchen, Gui Gui is sitting next to Xiao Yu as the maid serves him. She watches his weak movements and sighs.

She looks at the maid, "when was the last time he ate?"

The maid spoke highly towards her, "two days ago when you came to visit him."

Gui Gui glares at her, "two days ago?! You guys don't even bother to feed him?!"

What Gui Gui said could be heard from the living room.

Mrs. Yan clenches her purse and head towards the kitchen. She looks at Gui Gui harshly, "is there a problem?" Her husband appears by her side.

Gui Gui looks at her, angrily, "yes. Xiao Yu hasn't eaten for two days is this how you neglect him?!"

Ya Lun and Selina both head towards the kitchen as well.

"No matter what we do, Xiao Yu refuses to eat," Mr. Yan explains, "sometimes we would just leave the food outside the door and he'll get it once we leave, otherwise he won't have a meal with us."

Gui Gui was still angry, "that's not a good reason." She says looking at Xiao Yu, "you must eat with them for now on," she tells him, "if you don't eat with them for now on I won't come see you anymore."

Xiao Yu just look down like a little kid, his maturity... down the drain.

"You must have at least three meals a day," Gui Gui told him, "do you hear me?"

Xiao Yu lightly nods.

"Who are you to yell at him like that?" Mrs. Yan questions, "do you think you can just boss him around?!"

Gui Gui tries to hold in her anger.

"Isn't it good enough we still let you come see him?!" Mrs. Yan says angrily, "if you're going to come and fuss around like this you might as well not come. We have important matters to attend to."

Gui Gui looks at them and sees the ring on Selina's finger. She scoffs at them angrily, "just because your eldest son is getting married doesn't mean you can neglect Xiao Yu! If I was him I wouldn't want to remember this family as well!" Gui Gui stands up and faces Xiao Yu, "go pack your bags, you'll come stay with me--"

"Gui Gui!" Mr. Yan exclaims, "do you think you can just take him?!"

She sighs again, "this is better for Xiao Yu... this way someone will actually take care of him." She took his hand and walked passed them upstairs.

Ya Lun watches her hold onto Xiao Yu's hand, he catches the anger in her eyes... this was the caring Gui Gui... the Gui Gui is remembers...

~~~~~~~~

Xiao Yu is eating a meal at Gui Gui's house.

She's sitting across from him, feeding him. Her hands are shaky as well, it was from all that anger she just wanted to hit someone or something.

Xiao Yu looks at her and sees her expression, he swallows the food in his mouth, "sorry."

She looked at him, "why are you sorry?"

"Because of me... you got into an argument... sorry."

Gui Gui looked at him and shook her head, "you shouldn't be sorry for me... it makes me feel worse for you."

Xiao Yu looks at her lightly, "that lady... is my mom... that guy... is my dad... but they don't seem like it."

Gui Gui watches as he talks about his family... the people in his family that he's not come to realize yet.

"Although she seems mean, she doesn't talk much." He sighs, "she likes to play the piano and to read poetry."

Gui Gui was surprised, "you realized it?"

He nods, "living with them for a month is a different experience." he continues, "she only drinks black coffee, one spoon of sugar no milk, she likes her tea warm and scented... she's a good lady. When... Ge (Ya Lun) would do something wrong she would yell at him but it's cause she cares."

Gui Gui lightly smiles.

"Although that guy is very quiet, he likes to talk a lot on the phone," Xiao Yu says referring to his dad causing Gui Gui to laugh. "he also has strange taiwanese accent when he talks too fast. He wakes up really early in the morning just to watch the sunrise from the back porch, he doesn't like to wear white socks cause they don't match his apparrels... and he also doesn't know how to tie his own tie."

Gui Gui smiles brighter.

Xiao Yu then sighs, "then there's Ge (Ya Lun), he's the only one I've gotten used to since I've left the hospital." He breathes, "he's really quiet and seems cold... his name really matches him. Ya Lun doesn't follow the rules my parent's have because he has his own set of rules, he also doesn't like to watch TV, he can just sit on the couch all day and not even fall asleep. He's caught my mom's musical side and plays the piano when he's bored, but he only plays it when everyone's asleep..."

Gui Gui somehow became drawn into the words of Ya Lun, because she's finally getting to know Ya Lun... the things she never knew before.

"He's also like my dad where he wakes up early in the morning to watch the sunrise but he does it secretly as well... I guess he's afraid to be similar to my parents."

Gui Gui fainly looks down.

Xiao Yu sighs, "watching them everyday... I begin to wonder how life was before I lost my memories... I begin to think and asks myself if I was happy... if things were easy for everyone... I begin to wonder if my parents understood about our happiness..." he lets out a sigh, "although I hide in my room all day... I begin to understand a person without being near them, because sometimes... being away from them is the key to making you miss them."

Gui Gui thought about Ya Lun, about being away from him... and missing him.

Xiao Yu sighs and smiles as well, "happiness isn't about being next to them everyday... it's the feeling you get when you're away from them, you feel happy because you miss them and sad because you miss them... being away from them is the medicine to a person's broken heart, because you learn to grow from it..."

Tears fall from Gui Gui's eyes... Xiao Yu is right. Being away from Ya Lun for those two years has caused her to miss him but when he came back that feeling went away because he was there now... that unhappy feeling had disappeared, she just hasn't realized it til now.

Xiao Yu wiped her tears while wearing a smile, "Gui Gui... I want to remember again... can you help me?"

Gui Gui looked at him with a faint smile and nods, "ok." She quickly takes out her cell phone and shows him pictures, "this is Ah Wei and Ya Tou," she says and continues to explain to him.

~~~~~~~~