Chapter 21

Love Letters [part 2] (Sequel to Love and Life [part 1])

 

Jiro sighs, "they're for her anyway. Just give it to her ok?"

Xiao Xun lightly nods, "ok."

Jiro then leaves.

~~~~~~~~~~

Gui Gui rushes down the stairs in the morning and is greeted by her mom, "yay! it's your birthday! You're lucky it's on a weekend!" She presents her daughter with a small gift.

She smiles at her mom, "ma, you didn't have to get me anything."

She disagrees, "it's your 21st birthday, of course I have to give you something."

Gui Gui smiles and opens it. It turns out to be a locket. "ma, it's beautiful."

Her mom laughs, "that's not from me."

"It's not?"

She shook her head, "I recieved it in the mail yesterday and hid it for today."

"Mail?" Gui Gui then smiles brightly, "Wang Zi!"

Her mom nods and hands her another one, a bigger present.

Gui Gui then smiles again, "is this from you?"

Her mom nods again, "this one is. I hope you'll like it more than Wang Zi's."

Gui Gui quickly opens it, it turns out that a smaller box was in it. She looked at her mom suspiciously, "what are you trying to do?"

Her mom just shook her head, "nothing. Just keep opening."

Gui Gui had no choice but to keep doing it, unwrapping and recieveing another smaller box and so on and so on until she reaches the smallest box out of the bunch. She looks at her mom suspicously but opens it anyways. What was inside shocks her and brings her to tears.

Her mom takes in a small breath and holds in her tears as well, "this is our family's wedding ring... unlike passing down the bride's ring we pass down the groom's ring." She took in a deep breath, "this was your father's ring. I've kept it hidden for a very long time. It seems stupid giving it to you as your 21st brithday present, but I just thought this might be the only time to give it to you."

Gui Gui slowly hugs her mom as they both cried. "I love it..." she says, "I'll cherish it forever."

~~~~~~~~~~

Xiao Xun, Ya Tou, and Ah Wei are decorating Xiao Yu's hospital room for Gui Gui's birthday. Seems weird right? But this was the only place for her to celebrate with Xiao Yu.

Ya Tou smiles and looks at Xiao Yu, "can he really hear?"

Xiao Xun looks at her, "ey, your boyfriend's jealous."

Ya Tou looked at her, "no he's not."

Xiao Xun points to the corner of the room.

As Ya Tou looks she sees Ah Wei beating up a teddy bear screaming Xiao Yu's name. "Ah Wei!" She calls out.

He straightens up and looks at her.

She sighs, "aiyo, it's not like that, don't think otherwise."

He then comes back to her side happily.

Xiao Xun laughs at them and then looks back at Xiao Yu. Slowly... she sees him wiggle his fingers. She quickly rushes to his side, "Xiao Yu! Can you hear me?!"

Ya Tou and Ah Wei realized it too, he was waking up.

"Ah Wei go get the doctor!" Ya Tou told him and rushes by Xiao Xun as Ah Wei runs out.

Xiao Xun and Ya Tou begins to smile as they see him slowly awake and opens his eyes.

~~~~~~~~~

Gui Gui is stuck at the intersection, waiting for the walk signal, then her phone rings. She picks up, "hello? What?! Xiao Yu woke up! I'll be there!" She says happily crossing the street.

As she approaches Xiao Yu's hospital room she sees Xiao Xun, Ya Tou, and Ah Wei in the hall.

"What's wrong?"

Ya Tou looked at her angrily, "the witch kicked us out."

"Ya Tou," Ah Wei says, "just be nice and call her aunty."

Gui Gui looked at the window but the curtains were covering the view. "What's going on? Why can't we be there to see him?"

Xiao Xun looked at Gui Gui and seemed worried, "something's wrong with him..."

Gui Gui looked at her, "what do you mean?"

She thought about it, "the look in his eyes when he saw me... was different."

The door finally opens and the doctor makes his leave.

Out comes the parents and then Ya Lun who makes eye contact with Gui Gui. An awkwardness between them.

"Let's go," Mr. Yan says to his emotional wife as they leave.

Xiao Xun rushes to Ya Lun, "what's wrong with Xiao Yu?"

He sighs and slowly looks at them, "Xiao Yu... lost his memories."

The look in Gui Gui's eyes changes. She quickly rushes to the door and peeks in through the small opened door.

Xiao Yu is sitting on the edge of the bed, looking down at the floor.

"But," Ya Tou was confused, "wasn't he shot in the chest? How could he lose his memories like that?"

"The bullet hit the major vien that sends oxygen to the brain, that's why he was in a coma waiting for his brain to heal over time... but the outcome turns out," Ya Lun sighs, "Xiao Yu doesn't remember anyone."

Everyone turns to look at Gui Gui, who was so silent.

Ya Lun watches her expression, he sees how much she's changed in the past two weeks... he's missed her.

A loud glass shattering sound comes from Xiao Yu's room.

Everyone rushes in past Gui Gui and sees that he's broken the vase of flowers on the table.

Xiao Yu was in tears as he stood there.

Ya Lun rushes towards him and moves him away from the broken glass, "Di (younger brother), are you ok?"

Xiao Yu looks at Ya Lun, "who am I?!" He says angrily, "tell me who I am!"

No one knew how to answer him.

Ya Lun looked at him, "you're my brother Xiao Yu... don't you remember me?"

Xiao Yu pushes Ya Lun away, "go away!"

Gui Gui finally rushes in, "Xiao Yu!"

He looks at her gently, the look in his eyes changes, "Gui Gui!" He rushes towards her, "are you ok?!"

Everyone was shocked in confusion.

Gui Gui looked at him, "you remember me?"

He looks at her, "how can I forget you?"

Gui Gui looked at everyone, "you don't know anyone else in this room?"

Xiao Yu looked around and then back at her, "no."

~~~~~~~~