Chapter 11

Love Letters [part 2] (Sequel to Love and Life [part 1])

 

Before dawn can break and the moon can set, gui gui's mom comes home from work exhausted. she finds her daughter sleeping on the couch, she moves towards her, fixing the covers and discovers ya lun holding her in their sleep! shocked she backs off a little. She takes a look at his face, in one glance she has remembered him from two years ago.

ya lun slowly awakes and sees gui gui sleeping beside him then he sees her mom. in an awkwards situation they somehow managed to stay quiet.

they sat there in the kitchen as gui gui slept on the couch alone. gui gui's mom serves him some breakfast in silence, but she couldn't look at him not even with a smile. after setting the breakfast in front of him she sat down across from him and sighs.

"how long have you been back in taiwan?"

he answered respectively as he slowly eats, "last week." he looks at her lightly, "you remember me?"

there was a small silence before she admits to it. "how can i forget, you're the reason gui gui's finally matured. thanks."

he shakes his head, "no need to thank me, it's what friends do--"

"friends?" she interrupts, "so gui gui and you are just friends?"

ya lun thought carefully before he could answer, "actually... this isn't the right time to bring it up... but, if i could ask now... can i have your permission to be gui gui's boyfriend?"

she looked at him, the expression in her eyes darken as she mumble the word, "boyfriend?"

he looked down shamelessly knowing he did this without gui gui's permission, "yes."

her mom also didn't know how to respond so she switched the question on him, "do i have the right to decide my daughter's love life?" she wore a faint smile, "it wasn't too long ago when gui gui got out of a relation, the heart takes time to mend."

he was confused, "but it's been two years, isn't that enough time?"

she looked at him and shook her head, "no. two years may seem like a long time when you're waiting for someone... but two yaars for a broken heart is like two blinks of the eye, the memories that remain are still very vivid. no matter how much the heart wants to move on even the person we want to forget is the person we're waiting for..."

hearing her words, ya lun knew what she was trying to tell him, he was the one who gui gui was trying to forget and also the one she was waiting for.

"be patient with gui gui," she says lightly, "she grew up with few friends and with no father around... it's been hard on her." gui gui's mom's voice became lighter, "sometimes i wonder if i did the right thing."

he looked at her weirdly, "the right thing?"

she nods, "as in raising her with too much freedom. there are times when i worry about who she's hanging with, who she has plans with, where she goes after school and everything else... it's good for a parent to be controlling at times, it's just them showing their concern without saying it."

after hearing her he finally understands why his parents never gave him the freedom he wanted.

she just smiles, "eat up while it's warm." she then leaves and heads up the stairs.

ya lun sits there staring at the food in front of him.

~~~~~

xiao yu is taking down the notes as xiao xun keeps on staring at gui gui's empty seat. she kept on wondering why gui gui wasn't here and what happened after she left gui gui at the corner of the street last night.

xiao yu looks at her and faintly smiles, "don't worry. gui gui should be fine right now."

xiao xun looks at him strangely, "why do you say that?"

"I should know... ya lun won't let her get hurt."

xiao xun's face turns blank, "so you do know about gui gui and ya lun."

he nods, "actually... i don't mind... because if i lose gui gui one day to someone, i'll be happy that person is ya lun. so no matter what position i am, it's a win win situation."

"for your age you're actually really mature."

"thanks," he says as he stares at gui gui's seat, the smile on his face vanishes.

~~~~~~~

"where are you taking me?!" gui gui exclaims as ya lun pulls her towards the amusement park. she looks at it and freaks out, "i don't want to go there!"

he stops and faces her, "can't you spend today with me?"

she looked at him angrily, "first you made me skip class and now you want me to spend today with you?! what am i?!"

he smiles at her, "just give me today with you," he pauses, "let me prove that i can be a worthy person in your heart."

gui gui looks at him lightly, "you stupid fly..." she says to herself, "you're already a worthy person to me, what else do you want to prove."

ya lun continues to smile, "actually you already know the person i like is you... but i don't even know if the person you like is me... give me a chance ok?"

before gui gui could even answer he has already forced her into the amusement park with him.

they were riding the rollar coaster, both of them were screaming with excitement.

ya lun takes a peek at her and realizes she was enjoying it, he laughs to himself, "i thought she was going to hold onto me instead..." he then continues to enjoy the ride.

gui gui was jumping around happily, this was the first time in a long time that she felt such excitement. ya lun just smiles at her, this was the feeling he has been missing.

she rushes over to a booth and looks at the couple ladybug stuff animal on display.

the man looked at her, "missy do you want to try? it's an easy game."

gui gui looks at ya lun and then back at him, "how do you play?"

"if you can make this ball enter the bucket you'll win."

ya lun smiles, "it seems pretty simple." he gave it a try, but there was a catch to the game, the ball was ridged. Everytime the ball would enter the bucket it would jump back out. He seemed embarrassed in front of gui gui so he kept on trying.

the man just smiles as ya lun kept trying, "if you want something you have to try it more than once you can't always get it on your first attempt."

after the third attempt he decides to give up.

gui gui looks at the two ladybug stuff animals and faintly sighs, "can i try?" she grab the balls away from ya lun, lightly she throws the first one, a miss. She seems disappointed and slowly tries the next one, another miss. She held the last ball firmly in her hands and sighs.

the man lightly smiles, "if you want something you can't always try hard, sometimes without even doing anything you can also get it."

gui gui looks at the ball and smiles brightly, she throws the ball lightly to the ground, it bounces off the ground and directly into the bucket. She smiles brightly and happily, "i got it!" she says happily hugging ya lun excitedly, "i got it!"

the man smiles happily at gui gui, "you won, what prize do you want?"

she points directly at the couple ladybug.

the man hands it over to her, "good luck with these," he told her, "do you know the meaning of the ladybug?"

she looked at him confused, "ladybugs have meanings?"

the man nods, "butterflies means 'lovers', fireflies mean 'happiness' but ladybugs mean 'luck'." he hands it back to gui gui, "i hope you and your boyfriend find luck with these. it is said if you catch a ladybug and release it, it will fly to your true love and whisper your name in your true love's ear, then your true love will immediately rush to your side." he continues to smile, "i guess these ladybugs have found you two."

gui gui and ya lun looked at each other lightly.

after having fun at the amusement park they find themselves standing at the corner of the street.

gui gui finally looks at him, "i didn't say you weren't my boyfriend because i accept," she explained, "i just didn't want you to lose face."

he looks at her and just smiles, "then why'd you choose a couple prize?" he says taking the stuff animals away from her, "aren't you going to give me one?"

she looked at him fiercely and took them back, "did i say i was?!" she then walks ahead.

ya lun laughed at her expression and follows after.

~~~~~~

xiao yu is giving selina a small tour of the city.

"thanks for accompanying me," she told him, "i asked ya lun already but he refused."

he shook his head, "sorry about my brother selina, he's a little harsh."

she shook his head, "it's ok. I mean... when i first met him i knew he was a different guy compared to anyone else, he has his own wishful thinking, but i grew to like that about him... I was thankful Hebe could understand and made way for me to be with ya lun again, but even those two years weren't enough to move him." she looked at xiao yu with a faint smile, "do you know what kind of girls does he like?"

xiao yu thought about gui gui and smiled to selina, "i don't," he lies.

selina continues to smile, "i know that ya lun hasn't accepted me yet... but..." she stops walking and looks at xiao yu seriously, "after knowing about gui gui, i feel uneasy."

xiao yu didn't know what to say.

"I know ya lun has a girl on his mind ever since he came back... but..." she pauses as she looks at xiao yu, "isn't gui gui also the girl you're waiting for as well? xiao yu, you've waited longer than anyone else for your true love."

xiao yu just shakes his head, "it's not the waiting that tortures me," he tells her, "what's the real torture should be meeting her again and knowing that she's changed into another person."

selina sighs, "so... gui gui has someone else she likes already?"

xiao yu refuses to let selina know the truth, "i'm just saying she's matured."

she nods with a smile, "i see. but i hope you good luck on winning her heart again."

xiao yu just smiles and knew this was going to be his only chance to ask her. He takes in a deep breath, "selina, i have to ask you something."

"what is it?"

"...why haven't you given up on ya lun?"

she looked at him as her smile began to disappear, she then smiles again, "because i believe if you love someone even if that don't love you, one day they'll learn to appreciate you." she sighs, "even if ya lun doesn't love me, i still want to give it a try."

xiao yu frowns, "but--"

"wah that dress is so pretty!" selina says rushing towards the shop.

xiao yu sighs and follows her lightly.

Selina is looking at it from the window.

xiao yu looks at the store and smiles, "let's go in."

his uncle hugged him tightly, "wah you're so much taller!"

xiao yu was smiling, "i can't believe you still have this shop! It's been ages since i've been here!"

he laughed at xiao yu and then changes the subject, "have you seen your brother? He's suppose to report for work."

xiao yu shook his head, "so he isn't with you?"

"why would you ask me?" he questions, "he's your brother."

xiao yu sighs, "he got into an argument with mom and dad again. last night it went to the most extreme, ya lun left."

"ya lun left?" his uncle says worriedly, "so he has no where to go now?"

xiao yu shrugs his shoulders.

"uncle," xiao xun says coming from the back, "i can't find the item." she then sees xiao yu and quickly looks away.

"why can't you find it?" he asks, "didn't ya lun leave it--"

"stop following me!" gui gui yells trying to push ya lun off of her.

he has his arm wrapped around her neck and leans in closely to her, "we're going in the same direction again aren't we?"

she glares at him, "stop messing with me!"

he laughs and leans in closer to her, "you do remember what happened at this very spot two years ago right?"

everyone watched them silently.

flashbacks of the kiss kept entering gui gui's mind, she shook her head, "why would i want to remember such a thing!" she pushes him away.

selina watches ya lun's actions with gui gui. she knew he liked gui gui, but seeing this hurt her. she clears , "ya lun."

both of them looked at them and let go of one another.

xiao yu walks up to his brother, "where were you last night? you really didn't come home."

he sighs, "that's no longer my house," he says, "i'm not welcome there anymore."

xiao yu sighs frustrated, "you should at least apologize to mom and dad, they stayed up all night waiting for you to come home. where did you stay all night."

ya lun and gui gui looked at each other and then turns away, looking very suspicious.

xiao yu looks at gui gui and then back at his brother, "you stayed at gui gui's?"

gui gui denies, "no--"

"yes," ya lun admits, "i stayed at gui gui's."

xiao yu looks at ya lun, angry. "why did you stay at gui gui's?! do you know how bad it sounds right now?!"

"we didn't do anything," ya lun says, "why are you so uptight?"

"you may have not done anything but would anyone else believe you?!" xiao yu pulls selina towards him, "this is your fiancee, whether you like it or not, you're going to marry her!"

ya lun looks at his brother now angry as well, "why did you have to bring that up?"

"if you want to stay over at someone's house stay at selina's, but leave gui gui!" xiao yu says, "whether you like it or not, gui gui can never be yours!"

in a state of rage ya lun punches his little brother to the ground.

gui gui and xiao xun rushes to xiao yu who was bleeding.

gui gui, angry, she faces ya lun and slaps him.