Thy Heart Never Change, Thy Soul Grows Older

Second Life

The door slammed open once again. Tsuna, Gokudera and Yamamoto were panting, perhaps from running. They were in their uniforms, having to rush to the hospital immediately right after getting the news from Reborn. Their eyes immediately aimed towards the bed, where Ryuuichi was. Instead of seeing an unconscious Ryuuichi, the teen was sitting up with his back on the pillows, talking to Yuuichi, Dino, his parents and Amemori. Somehow, Reborn had perched himself on his lap, careful to not jostle his injuries, much to the teen's amusement. 

Gokudera and Yamamoto immediately jumped towards him, hugging him. (They managed to not collide onto Reborn.) Ryuuichi was surprised when they did. "Ow ow-" They quickly let go when Ryuuichi winced in pain, hands cradling his ribs. They quickly apologize and bombarded him with questions. "When did you wake up?" "How are you feeling?" 

Ryuuichi gave them a small smile. "Sometime in the morning, I think." Gokudera and Yamamoto immediately noticed something different from Ryuuichi, Tsuna as well as he trotted towards Ryuuichi's side. "Are you alright, Ryuuichi?" Tsuna asked, frowning slightly. Ryuuichi shifted his gaze to Tsuna, amused. "Yes."

"Grab a chair and seat down first." Reborn immediately interrupted. Feeling that there was something wrong, they did as told. "BakaRyuu here, has lost his memories."

And cue wide eyes. 

"What?!" 

Ryuuichi gave them another awkward smile, still amused by everything, however. He explained everything to the trio, telling them the exact words he had told Yuuichi, his parents and Dino . Really though, ever since he woke up, everything was so entertaining. (Minus the thing between his legs. He still couldn't stop blushing when he thought of it.) 

When Yuuichi and his parents talked about his childhood, he realized that he had somehow went back to the childish part of him somewhere. And reckless as well. When Dino and Yuuichi talked about his time with Tsuna and the others, he had never been so amused yet horrified by his own self. And then Reborn came along and added his two cents. Amemori remained silent, however, only explaining the part about the man who brought Amemori's soul over. Caelum, they say.

Though, Ryuuichi really need to get used to the name, and not calling Hibiki as Alex. And the creepy smile that he couldn't stop.

"S-so.." Gokudera was getting paler and paler. Ryuuichi wondered why when he remembered that Reborn mentioned about him helping Gokudera through online. Pursing his lips, he slowly reached over to the bomber and patted him on his head. "Sorry. But I'll remember everything." His hair was surprisingly soft. 

He blinked when Gokudera muttered something under his breathe. "I'm sorry?"

"I said," Gokudera looked straight into his eyes, a bit teary. "Don't ever do anything stupid anymore." Ryuuichi's eyes widen before he tilted his head down and laughed. "I can't promise that, but I'll try." 

"BakaRyuu." He turned to Yamamoto in surprise. "You're the biggest idiot I know, BakaRyuu." Chuckling at that as well, he lowered his hands. "I know right?" 

Tsuna smiled in relief. "Don't make us start a homicide, or go crazy, BakaRyuu." 

Ryuuichi choked on his laughter and heaved. "Oh man. Should I flee the country because these three are ganging up on me. Wait. Make that all of you." He still didn't stop laughing when Reborn elbowed him, still being careful of his injuries. "You can run, but you can never hide, BakaRyuu."

And laughter filled the air. They decided right there and then that everyone laughing is the best moments of all, no matter what situation they are in.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Are you sure that you're alright alone, Ryuu-kun?" Sakura asked for the nth time, still reluctant to leave. The visiting time has already ended and they didn't even want to leave. It was when Ryuuichi told them to, when they did. "We can stay, you know?" Shaking his head, he rejected it. "I'll be alright, Mother. Please go home and get some rest. There are eye bags under your eyes. Father and Dino as well." 

Kei smiled at that and nodded. "Alright. Don't stay up too late, Ryuu. You're still recovering after all." And he pulled Sakura away after getting a confirmation from Ryuuichi, sliding the door close.

Ryuuichi shook his head again in fond exasperation. He looked out the window and let out a sigh. The sun has already gone down, all of them talking, chatting, telling him stories and losing track of the time. Honestly, it was slightly hard for him to take all of it in, but he somehow managed. 

Who would have thought that he would be reincarnated in this world anyway. He tried once more, trying to remember anything about his life in this world, but it was no use. His mind was blank. Like, he was pretty sure that he was a 'she' and in a very different place yesterday, only to wake up into a 'he' and in a world that supposedly doesn't exist. 

But he's already having fun. In not more than 12 hours, he felt at home, like he had never even left before. 

'I did lived in this world for almost 14 years after all.' 

He may not have any memories, but his body could remember everything. Everything he did, every movement he made, it felt so familiar. Only that his mind couldn't catch up to it. 

Another smile appeared on his face. He somehow couldn't wait for tomorrow to come. 

And then the door opened and closed again. He turned towards the door, eyes widening. It was Hibari Kyouya. 'Oh. My. God.' Hibari stared into his eyes as he walked to the chair beside Ryuuichi's bed and sat down. Their eyes never left each others, immediately engaged into a staring contest. 

"Um.."

"You lost your memories."

Blinking at that, Ryuuichi finally broke the eye contact but didn't turn to look anywhere else, laughing nervously. "I guess..?" He jerked a little when he finally noticed Hibird staring at him on Hibari's head as well. He tilted his head, the bird did as well. Tilting the other side, the bird did the same. 

Hibari said nothing and merely watched their exchange of movements. It was really adorable. He almost laughed when Hibird flew off his head and landed on Ryuuichi's head instead, chirping. "Umm.." A small smile appeared on his face as Ryuuichi looked absolutely helpless there. 

"Rest." A confused face was shown to him. "You've been awake since you woke up the first time. Rest." Reaching over, he pushed the button and the bed lowered. Hibird chirped at the sudden pull of gravity and jumped onto the pillow, puffing up beside Ryuuichi's head. "But-"

He gave the teen a look. "Sleep." 

Ryuuichi was beyond surprised. Like, what the heck was actually happening? 'Yuu did told me that I'm rather close with him, but this? Not what I expected at all.' He wanted to chat with Hibari more though, but his body and mind has been complaining. He was tired, he admit, but it didn't help when he really really wanted to talk to the prefect. (He was scared that this would just be another dream.) Then again, he doubt he has much to say.

"I'll be here in the morning, sleep." 

"Did- Did you just read my mind?" Hibari rolled his eyes at him. What are the chance of that?

"No. You're too obvious." Ryuuichi chuckled softly at that, feeling fatigue getting the best of him slowly. "Really..?" Before he fully surrendered to it and succumbed into slumber, he heard as soft "Yes." and a hand strooking his head. 

Hibari continued to rake his finger into Ryuuichi hair gently even after Ryuuichi fell asleep. "Sweet dreams." That night, Hibari never left his place as he watched over Ryuuichi.

----------------------------------------------------------

When Ryuuichi woke up the next morning, he was jump-scared by a clown mask in front of his face and immediately punched it on instinct without much thought, screaming bloody murder. He winced at the sudden pain that coursed through him. "Quiet down please!" The nurse from the other side of the hallway, outside the room he was staying, literally shouted but he paid no heed. He groaned and softly rubbed his sides, feeling the pain ebbed away.

"Ow ow ow- You sure can pack a punch-" His eyes narrowed at the familiar voice and glared daggers on the figure curling on the ground, clutching his face. The mask had been taken off, haphazardly threw to the side.

"Alex. I'm so going to kill you." He growled. Amemori looked up at him from his crouching position, smiling sheepishly. "Oh don't give me that look you arse. Give me that." He pouted and slowly handed the mask to Ryuuichi, who snatched it away from his hands immediately. 

Ryuuichi snarled once, and before he knew it, the mask lit up in fire. Amemori stared with his jaw dropped, surprised. Even Ryuuichi was surprised, actually. He didn't even do anything when it caught on fire, except for the thought of wanting to burn it. Ryuuichi immediately threw it down to the ground and watch it burn in both fascination and horror. 

"That was, unexpected." He stiffly nodded as the mask turned into ashes. He turrned to look at Amemori. They engaged into a staring contest before bursting out in laughter. As Ryuuichi was laughing, he reached over to grab Amemori's arm and tighten his grasp as much as he can.

"-Aha- Ow ow ow ow ow! Painful! Stop you're crushing my bones!" He chuckled at the reaction and finally let go, hand flopping down onto the bed. 

"What were you thinking about, waking me like that?"

Amemori rubbed his arm and sat on the chair, scooting away from Ryuuichi's reach as he pushed the button, the bed lifting up until Ryuuichi was in sitting position. "Revenge."

Ryuuichi gave him a disbelief look. "What?" "Come on. Don't tell me you've forgotten about that time." "No- absolutely not. I would never forget that moment. Your prime moments are always unforgettable." He snickered despite the whine. There was once when he, she placed a skull in front of Alex's face when he was still asleep. Alex's face when he woke up was absolutely priceless. "And mind if I remind you, that was ages ago."

Amemori grinned at him triumphantly. "I did promise that I would get my revenge." 

"By using a clown mask, because I hate them. Nice. Why don't you get, a daruma or those Japanese doll instead? I can ensure you, I'll eviscerate you immediately." 

"That's... A great idea!" 

"Alex!" Amemori laughed. "Okay, okay. I'm just joking." Ryuuichi grumbled and pushed his bangs back, ruffling his hair. "You better be." 

"Oh, right. Good morning." Ryuuichi blinked at that, finally realizing that they've been speaking in English and switched to Japanese. "Good morning, Hibiki. When did you arrive?"

"Oh sometime ago, when Hibari was still in here. He went to who-knows-where." Ryuuichi subconsciously made a disappointed face. Amemori, of course, noticed that and wasn't exactly happy. In fact, he was a little jealous of how little things of the prefect could bring out most of the emotions Ryuuichi doesn't shows. Even he couldn't do that. Amemori pursed his lips.

"Anyways, I brought this!" He rummaged his sling bag that was on the floor and took out a chess set. "Let's play for old times' sake?"

Ryuuichi raised eyebrow, amused. "Really? Trying to kill our brains early in the morning?" Despite his words, he still helped Amemori set up the board and pieces on the table pulled near to his bed. He took the black piece and gestured the other to start first. 

And he did. The game begun as they immediately fell into concentration, eyes shifting across the board as they moved each piece, coming up with predictions and strategies. 

"Say," Ryuuichi hummed, thinking of his move as Amemori spoke. "What do you think our lives would be if we didn't get, you know. Reincarnated." He lifted up the bishop, turning it a little and placed it down near the black knight. "Check. Well, I'm not sure. Maybe it'll be normal, maybe it'll be boring, maybe it'll be weird and amazing. Who knows? I certainly don't."

When Amemori moved the pawn to block of the check path, Ryuuichi moved the knight instead. "Check." Amemori clicked his tongue at that and moved his king. ".. I guess you're right, but do you think we will be together?" Ryuuichi's hand froze, holding onto the bishop as he frowned. 

"I mean, that we wouldn't be separated for like, I don't know. The last 14 years?" He nodded slowly, took the white pawn and placed the bishop down. Instead of placing the pawn on the side, he fiddled with it. 

"... Perhaps." He glanced back down onto the board and blinked. "Ah. Checkmate." Amemori jerked forward and looked at the board with wide eyes. "Arggh!!" Leaning back down onto the chair, he sighed. "Again!" 

Ryuuichi let out a chuckle at his antics and nodded, rearranging the pieces, taking the white this time. "Sure." He was glad that the conversation was dropped. It had left a bad taste, bitter and made him self-conscious. He would prefer it if that conversation wasn't brought up ever again, or in fact, he rather not have that conversation at all.

On their fourth round and Ryuuichi's third win, Yuuichi, his parents and Dino arrived. And hours after, Tsuna, Gokudera and Yamamoto came dragging along Enma. The girls arrived around the same time as they did, including Chrome. (They were devastated upon knowing his conditions, but immediately changed the gloomy atmosphere easily. Chrome, however, kept staring at him and he didn't know why.)

Reborn just popped out of nowhere and sat on his lap again. (He has no idea why Reborn did that, but he wasn't complaining. Reborn is warm.) Somehow, they've brought a lot of games, which ended up with Reborn, Sakura, Kei and Ryuuichi being the judges of the games. 

Two word. A mess. All of them ended up fighting against each other one way or another (Minus Enma and Tsuna who looked at them in exasperation), until the head nurse came and shouted at them. Ryuuichi had to actually stare at the head nurse with a disapproving, poker face in silence until she backed away from throwing them out. He would not have someone throw his friends and family out just because they were too noisy. Then again, she was doing her job. 

Ryuuichi sighed and shook his head. "Guys, pipe it down. You're bothering the other patients." All of them deflated and nodded. A small series of apologies were heard. Yuuichi pouted and bounced over to his side, sat up onto the bed and leaned against him. Dino yelped when the younger twin accidentally kicked his side from where he was lying on the ground. "Booo..."

Ryuuichi chuckled at that. "Oh right." He tilted his head when Yuuichi took out a bracelet and ring out from his pocket. "I almost forgot. Here. They're yours."

He gingerly took them, looking at the ring. He squinted his eyes a bit and saw words incripted on the inside of the ring. ''The eyes of the selfless'? The heck?' Shrugging, he slid it onto his right middle finger. "It's, warm? Did you somehow placed it near the heater or something?"

"No I didn't. It's already warm like that." He nodded, staring at the glinting metal. Growls and howls were soon heard from the bracelet and the animals popped out, all jumping onto Ryuuichi. "W-woah!"

Everyone in the room laughed as the panther cubs and the wolf pup Ryuuichi's face as much as they could, Kuro nipping on his cheek and Shiro climbing up onto his head. Sora had perched himself on his shoulder and nuzzled against his neck. "Umm, g-guys..?" (He swore he heard the very familiar clicking sound of camera going off at that moment.)

"Oh you brought it to yourself, Ryuuichi." Reborn chirped rather cheerfully. "You made them worry after all. You made all of us worry."

The said teen laughed nervously at that. "Sorry- Ouch! Stop biting on me-" All of them laughed at his futile effort of wanting to stop the black panther cub. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Night fell once again, and all of them were ushered back, much to their dismay. This time, there wasn't much protests since they knew Ryuuichi still needed a lot of rest. Though, Kuro, Shiro and Sora refused to leave his side and return to the bracelet, cuddling up against him. Ryuuichi smiled at the soft purrs from Kuro and Shiro, Sora nuzzling closer to his side. 

"You seemed comfortable."

He snorted. "Yeah right. Not as comfortable as you sleeping in the ward beside this one." Hibari merely smirked and walked forward, taking a sit on the chair he had sat on the previous night once again. "What gave it away?" Ryuuichi shrugged at that.

"Not sure. Just that I could somehow feel a familiar flame after I wore this." He held up his right hand, showing the ring. "Or wait... I could feel it even when I didn't wear it..?" He wondered, but the soft chuckle from Hibari made him stop and focused on the prefect. 

'This is soooo, weird. But cool as hell. My mind couldn't take it. Help.' In contrary to his currently chaotic mind, he had a blank face outside. It was just too unbelievable. The pain wasn't a dream, what he was seeing and experiencing wasn't a dream as well. He love it.

"Isn't today the last day of school?" 

Hibari nodded, leaning back. "It is." "And there's nothing to do?" An eyebrow was arched. "Is there anything to do in the first place?"

"I don't know. Biting people to death?" Another chuckle was heard.

"Tempting, but tasteless." Ryuuichi made a face. "Is that intentional, or intentional?"

"Not much of an option is there?" 

"I will give you another option. Deliberate." Hibari smirked. He reached forward and flicked Ryuuichi on the forehead, the other teen whined at that. "And your not so subtle threat of eviscerate Amemori Hibiki was intentional, or optional?"

Ryuuichi flailed his hand as much as he could without jostling the three animals on his lap. "Of course you would've heard of it. To answer your question, absolutely intentional." He grinned when the prefect shook his head slightly and leaned back, but not before flicking him on the forehead again.

"Ouch!" Hibari gave him an unimpressed look, yet amused. "Okay. Ouch not."

"Did someone fed you wits today?"

"Nope. Had them ever since I was born for the first time." Hibari resisted the urge to roll his eyes at Ryuuichi and settled with a scoff at his sheit-eating grin. He shifted his gaze to the three animals, and smiled. "Cold, are you?"

"Hm?" Ryuuichi looked down as well, only to realize that Kuro, Shiro and Sora were pulling little bits of their flames to keep all of them warm. "No, actually. But it's nice." He gave each one of them a strooke on the head, scratching by their ears a little. "And these fuzz balls are drop dead cute."

"You do realize that you just said that with an indifferent facade, do you?"

"Yep."

The prefect laughed. Albeit softly, but he laughed. Ryuuichi blinked in surprise, only to dissolve in soft laughter as well. "It think you should rest now."

He gave Hibari the same look he gave him earlier. "In my defense, I never left. As you said, I was in the room next door." He didn't drop the look. Hibari rolled his eyes this time. "Fine. I returned home for a moment to change before coming back." He wanted to flick Ryuuichi on the forehead again, he didn't. Instead, he shook his head and pressed on. "Sleep."

Ryuuichi grudgingly went along. "Yes, mother."

"Don't make me bite you, small animal." Ryuuichi laughed again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N= This chapter, well, sums up two days? The first and second part is the continuation of the previous chapter, and the last two is, well, the next day.

I did promised that I would write a few certain things, but things and things and blah blah blah, I'll be on the next chapter. At first I thought of making it as an omake, but ended up not doing it because, why not make it canon in this story? 'Sides!! I'll probably get a good laugh at everything. *smirks*

Fun Fact= As all of you probably realized, yes. Amemori's good at chess as well. Which this conversation popped out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amemori grumbled as he moved his queen, alert of any other pieces that could take the queen off the board and placed it down on the board. "Check. God, when did you get so good?" 

Ryuuichi shrugged and mentally debated on moving which piece, weighing every possibilities. "Don't know. It's just that I could see everything clearer now." He settled with moving the knight to block the queen's path. Another grumble from Amemori was heard as the teen moved the bishop, taking the rook. "If I don't win this round, I'm going to kiss you."

"I'll castrate you if you come near me even an inch from where you're sitting, arsehole." Ryuuichi moved the pawn. The piece was placed down when his eyes widen. "Oh sheit." Amemori's grin turn feral and he immediately moved the queen down to the last lane. "Checkmate, buddy!"

Ryuuichi groaned and leaned back. "Congrats." He pushed his hair back and rearranged the pieces again. He swatted the hand that was reaching over to his neck, slamming it down onto the metal railing of the bed. "Nope. Don't even think about touching me you goddamn peerve."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yes, Amemori is a peerveert. Low-key, but Ryuuichi knew it.

Fun Fact= Said games that they played are Monopoly, Poker, UNO+Shiritori anddd a shrewd version of Kings Game. Chaos, I tell you. Chaos. Which ended up with Dino being on the floor, Enma's upper half out the window and hanging, unconscious, Tsuna almost puking, Gokudera bitten and Yamamoto bites. Oh and the girls ended up in a group of giggles by one corner. Yuuichi all but sprawled across Dino's stomach. In short, Ryuuichi almost died for laughing too much and choked on his saliva. 

I'll have to admit something. Hibari is a bit too Out Of Character here. His characteristic is hard for me to write, honestly. Like, howww? Okay, maybe when I'm not in a high mood, but still..

Ah. Right. About his Historian thing, Reborn had explained to him so yeah.

Anyway, I think Ryuuichi will be discharged in the next chapter? How, will be explain later. *mumbles* All these ideas in my head... 

[I apologize for any grammar, spelling, etc. etc. mistakes]