Peeled Apples

Of Peaches and Blues (COMPLETED)

Yoongi has been endlessly typing in his laptop for three whole hours while Jimin silently reads one of his books, Of Peaches and Blues. There's no words spoken, but the room was surely anything but quiet. The lightspeed clicks coming from Yoongi's laptop, the quiet mumbling from Jimin, and of course, the soft snores coming from Taehyung, laying motionless on the sofa. 

"Hyung," Jimin called. Earning a sound of approval from the elder.

"What," Yoongi said. His eyes still focused on the screen and his fingers still moving.

"Why does Peach have to wither?" Jimin asked as he kept his hands hovering above the bunch of embossed papers. 

"Because that's the only way for it to talk to Blue again." Yoongi replied absent mindedly.

"But Blue is the sky, right?" Jimin asked, yet again.

"Yeah. Skies can't talk. Blue's voice is just a figment of Peach's imagination." Yoongi explained. 

Jimin's heart clenched. Why does the story ended like that? Wasn't it supposed to be a children's book? Why can't the damn peach get a happy ending? 

"Hyung, this is so depressing." Jimin said as he closed the book. Yoongi chuckled. 

"It's a happy ending though. Peach got to talk to Blue again." He replied as he took his glasses off and placing it on the table. He then massaged the bridge of his nose. 

"But Blue doesn't even exist." Jimin insisted.

"Blue doesn't even have to be real to make Peach happy." Yoongi replied. 

"Nooo," Jimin whined, earning a chuckle from Yoongi. "Blue has to be real. He has to be." Jimin added.

"What if I'm not real? Would you stop talking to me?" Yoongi replied. 

"Of course not! But you're real, hyung. So it's nothing to worry about." Jimin said as he rubbed the nape of his neck.

"That's what Peach thought as well, Jimin." Yoongi said as he set aside his laptop. He took a deep breath and groaned. "I feel so tired, I wonder why." Yoongi said as he lay down onto his bed. 

"What? But you just slept, hyung." Jimin answered. 

"Hey, writing takes a whole lot of energy. Don't underestimate me." Yoongi said playfully. Jimin laughed.

"You act and sound like an old man, hyung. Sometimes I wonder if you're really 23." Jimin joked when the door of their room opened right before Yoongi could grab onto something that he could use as a projectile towards the younger.  

"Min Yoongi-ssi, you have a visitor." Said one of the nurses.

A young man with wine colored hair and yellow colored school uniform walked in holding a basket full of apples, oranges, and fruits of the same sort.

"Oh, Kook. You're here." Said Yoongi. Jimin tilted his head as he tried to decipher who the stranger was and what's happening inside their room.

"Is that what you're supposed to say to me, hyung? You didn't even tell me that you got admitted in a damn hospital." Said the younger. His tone a little bit harsh.

"It's nothing serious." Yoongi replied.

"Nothing serious? Hyung, knowing your condition could you at least be a little more concerned about your well being?" Jungkook said as he placed the basket down, not daring to face the elder.

"Okay okay, I'm at fault. I'm sorry. Gosh, chill a little won't you." Yoongi said. "Sorry Chim, this is my younger brother, Jungkook." Yoongi said as he introduced the high schooler standing beside him. Jungkook turned around and saw a man, probably his age or maybe even younger. His childlike features and blank eyes radiating innocence and childishness.

"I'm sorry for being loud earlier. I'm Jungkook. Age 17. Yoongi's younger brother." Jungkook said as he reached out a hand. Surprisingly, the man infront of him didn't respond how Jungkook thought he would be. The elder smiled softly at him, not meeting his eyes.

"Nice to meet you Jungkook-ssi. My name is Jimin. I'm 21." He said. Jungkook's eyebrows were furrowed. He looked back at Yoongi and the elder made a specific gesture. He waved his right hand above his eyes and made a cross. That's when Jungkook started noticing the walking stick rested peacefully beside Jimin's bed. Taking the initiative, Jungkook reached for Jimin's right hand and shook it gently. 

"It's very nice meeting you. Since you're older than me, can I call you hyung?" Jungkook asked. Jimin just beamed right there and then.

"Sure! Why not?" He said as he smiled. Jimin's happiness and positive energy was just so contagious that even the grumpy Yoongi started to smile a little bit more around him.

"Do you want me to peel you some apples, hyung?" Jungkook asked.

"Wow, it's really rare to see our Kookie being so nice like this." Yoongi said as he smirked at his younger brother.

"I'm not talking to you and your lazy , Min Yoongi." Jungkook replied as he took his belongings and scooted over to Jimin's side instead. Earning a hearty laugh from the younger.

"You're so going to get it from me once I'm released, Min Jungkook." Yoongi threatened. Earning a mocking gesture from his brother. 

"Who is that sleeping on the sofa, hyung?" Jungkook asked Jimin. 

"Oh, he's my friend, Kim Taehyung. One of the doctor's apprentices here. He sleeps like a damn corpse. You don't need to worry. " Jimin replied. Jungkook nodded silently as he took an apple and started to peel it carefully. They were silent for a short while until the youngest decided to break the ice.

"It must've been hard for you, hyung." Jungkook said to Jimin.

This, this is what Jimin hated the most from being blind. He despised the fake sympathy from people around him, even strangers. They don't feel sorry. They're just glad that there's someone out there that is suffering way much more than what they're currently facing. Those people used other's misery to fuel their motivation. 

"Don't be. I don't need sympathy." Jimin said. His face hardened. Though Jungkook doesn't seem to notice. 

"I've been there. It's one of the hardest thing I have ever faced in my whole entire existence." Jungkook replied. Jimin was shocked. Has Jungkook experienced the same thing as he did?

"Really? For how long?" Jimin asked. The younger hummed as he tried to break his mind open to find the correct responses.

"2 and a half years, approximately. Those years have been agonizing." Jungkook said.

"It is, isn't it." Jimin said softly. 

"Yeah. Rooming with Yoongi hyung is like the worst thing that could ever happen to any human being. I wouldn't even wish that upon my greatest enemies." Jungkook replied. 

Jimin, laughed out loud. He was not expecting that answer. Yoongi's nagging and screams on the background made him laugh even more. He sincerely thought that Jungkook was pitying him for being blind and incapable but no, he was pitying him for rooming with his older brother. 

"How could you say things like that about your hyung, you brat." Yoongi nagged.

"You're not my hyung anymore! I'm mad at you. My only hyung is Jimin hyung now." Jungkook replied as he threw a slice of peeled apple towards the eldest. 

"Woah, you're really testing my patience Min Jungkook." Yoongi said as he tried to stand up.

"You can't even catch me, gramps." Jungkook said as he stood up and mocked the elder. 

Yoongi tried to stand up when his body collapsed. His spine felt like it was stabbed by a thousand needles. He was out of breath and he felt his whole body shaking uncontrollably. All he could feel on the both of his legs were searing pain. It was so painful that Yoongi doubled over with tears on his eyes. He tried to withstand the pain with no avail. 

"H-hyung!" Jungkook shouted as he ran towards the elder. Yoongi stopped him midway as he tried to catch his breath. The pain seemed to subside slowly. 

"Don't panic, Kookie." Yoongi managed to say between heavy breaths. The irony was uncanny. Jungkook got down on one knee as he tried to figure out what's happening. Upon closer inspection, he realized that the elder was covered in blacks and blues. Some of them looked fresh, the others have turned into this grisly yellow colored bruises. Yoongi was covered in bullets of sweat despite being in the middle of autumn with the air conditioning on due to Taehyung's request. He grabbed Yoongi's arms as he triend to support the elder to sit back onto his bed. Yoongi was ice cold. He realized that his elder brother has lost a terrible amount of weight as well. He was shaking like a leaf and he weighed like nothing. Yoongi was panting hard as well. Yoongi raised his right hand as he massaged his own temples. Jungkook stood there. Unmoving. With the look of worry and fear displayed across his face.

"Hyung, what happened? Jungkook?" Jimin asked, breaking Jungkook's train of thoughts. His soft facial features contorted in a mix of confusion. 

"Chill man, I just slipped on the apple Jungkook threw at me." Yoongi said as he made an excuse. 

"But-"

"Kook, I just tripped on the apple that you threw at me." Yoongi repeated. Hoping that the younger could decipher what he has been trying to say. 

"Y-yeah. You should be more careful, hyung." Jungkook said as he slouched and dropped onto Yoongi's arms. Yoongi smiled softly as he the younger's hair lovingly.

"I'll try." Replied Yoongi as a tear escaped Jungkook's eyes. 

A lonely piece of peeled apple laying quietly on Yoongi's bed cover. 

 


 

"Tell me what he looks like." Jimin said as he smiled towards the younger. 

"Yoongi hyung? He's around the same height as you, but he's a whole lot skinnier. He's so pale that he could blend with the white walls of the hospital." Jungkook said as he munched on the apple. Yoongi fell asleep like a log after the incident, creating a moment for Jimin and Jungkook to share.

"Really? I imagined Yoongi to be tall and intimidating. He has the voice of an MMA player or something." Jimin said, earning a chuckle from the younger.

"You would be hella surprised, hyung." Jungkook said. "Yoongi hyung is basically just a pile of bones covered in pale white skin. Well, it's probably due to all that sleep and naps. I wonder how he could manage to sleep more than 16 hours a day." He continued. 

"Yeah, he's always tired." Jimin said with a gentle smile painted across his face. 

"I could hear you, brats." Yoongi said groggily. Jimin assumed that he was half asleep. 

"Yeah yeah whatever." Jungkook teased. "Jimin hyung, I got extra classes that I got to attend. I'll visit again soon." Jungkook said as he hugged the said man briefly.

"Bye Kookie! Visit us soon." Jimin beamed. Jungkook replied with a smile.

"Take care of yourself, gramps." Jungkook said to a pile of messed up blanket. 

"You too, kiddo." Yoongi replied. 

Jungkook waved some more goodbyes, knowing perfectly well how Jimin can't see him. He opened the doors and walked outside. The high schooler let out a big sigh. It would be a lie to say that he wasn't worried about his older brother. Yoongi was diagnosed almost a year ago. He refused all sorts of medications except for the painkillers. He doesn't want his brother to leave him. He's the only family member he got and he's not planning on losing anyone ever again. He took a deep breath and convinced himself to talk to Yoongi about his treatments the next time he saw him. 

 


 

"Hyung, I heard you're going to be released in 2 days. That's great!." Jimin beamed. He's used to people leaving him, but it's a good thing that Yoongi could continue doing his daily routines without getting checked up every 4 hours. 

"I can't wait." Yoongi said flatly. No signs of amusement nor excitement at all on his voice. 

"Why do you sound so grumpy." Jimin said as he pouted. "You'll feel the cold breeze! You could eat those street snacks all you want. You got to be free from all of the medicines and antibiotics." Jimin said. Yoongi looked at the younger with sadness in his eyes when he felt something wet dropping onto his hands. 

Bright crimson stained his bed sheets. His nose was bleeding profusely. Yoongi panicked and ran over to the bathroom, his hands cupped under his chin, trying not to contaminate the room they shared together. Yoongi stood on the counter as he washed his hands. The blood won't stop flowing as he felt dizziness taking over his body. 

The last view he saw was of Jimin calling out his name from outside the bathroom, eyes widened. 

 


 

Holy syiet this fic is doing much better than how I anticipated it to be. So I did a little research, that mentioned that one of the symptoms of acute myeloid leukemia is constant fatigue, easily bruised, and severe nosebleeds. I'm just trying to emphasize that Yoongi is indeed sick in this fic. And our Kookie made his appearance! Namjoon and Jin will show up too, probably in the next chapter or the next few chapters. Thankyou guys soooo much for subscribing and commenting. You made me want to write more and more!!! Thankyou for reading!!! I hope you enjoy!