Peach buns

Of Peaches and Blues (COMPLETED)

The endless beeping sound of the heart monitor woke Park Jimin up. No, it's not the sun directly shining onto his closed eyelids. Nor is it the usual wake up call he got every morning. Park Jimin. A 21 year old young man with smiles brighter than the sun itself, and heart as soft as freshly fallen snow. Park Jimin is a softie. He's also born blind. Never has he seen the different hues of oranges on sunset. Nor the beautiful baby blue adorning the bright summer sky. Park Jimin is born blind and he learned to deal with it.

"Morning darling." A voice said.

This erratic breathing pattern, the soft rubber shoes colliding with the wooden floor, the clinking of metal and glass.

"Good morning to you too, Nurse Kim," Jimin greeted cheerfully as he smiled towards the elderly woman. "Who is the person with me right now?" He asked. How'd he knew? The breathing, the scent, and of course, the heart monitor gave it all up. It was beeping pretty loudly.  

"Oh, he will be your new room mate. His name is Min Yoongi, age 23, a pretty successful writer, I might say." She said as she gave Jimin a glass of warm milk. Jimin thanked her and she smiled at him. 

"Why is he here?" He asked as he sipped on the warm milk. 

"The poor young man fainted. Probably from exhaustion and malnutrition." She said. "Maybe you could make friends with him. It's been a pretty long time since you're rooming with someone else,dear." She said. "I'll be putting your change of clothes here." She said as she took Jimin's right hand and guides it to a pile of freshly washed tshirt and shorts. 

"Thank you so much I'll wash up soon." Jimin said as he reached out to the table beside him. Placing the empty cup soundly. 

"As usual, call me when you need me okay, dear." She said lovingly as she ruffled Jimin's hair. 

"Will do, will do." Jimin said as he flashed her a smile. 

Jimin stood up and he took a deep breath. He lightly tapped his cheeks and he smiled. There's no use on mourning over his fate. He's born this way. There's a big chance that he's going to die this way as well. The only thing he could do was just trying to be as positive as he could be. 

Jimin took 10 steps to the right. Then he turned left and walked straight for precisely 15 steps. He reached out and he felt the familiar chill from the cold metal door handle. He opened it and washed himself up.

Being blind from the very first day he was born, Jimin has done an extremely good job in maintaining himself. He learned on how to differentiate conditioner from shampoo according to their texture. He learned to make sure that he's not wearing his shirt the other way around. On a familiar environment, Jimin is pretty sure he could take care of himself well. 

Jimin took a short bath, he washed his face and he brushed his teeth. He checked his shirt and shorts, putting it on slowly and carefully. He made sure to look presentable, at least, before he stepped out of the bathroom. Jimin opened the door slowly, trying to minimize the creaking sound of the door, careful not to wake his room mate. 

He took a step outside and realized there was something wrong. His new room mate was awake. He could hear the rustling sound of the blankets, his room mate seemed to be breathing louder too. He turned his head towards the source of the sound. 

"What are you looking at, kid." A gruff voice said. Jimin was pretty sure at that time that nurse Kim had lied to him. There's no way that that voice belonged to a 23 year old. 

"Um, hi," Jimin smiled. "My name is Park Jimin. I will be your room mate during your stay in this hospital." Jimin smiled. 

"I don't need to know. I won't be here for long anyway." Yoongi said. His voice was rough. Jimin noticed that the man sounded irritated. Yoongi dragged his IV drip along with him as he walked towards the bathroom. Jimin stayed still. With Yoongi walking around, he wasn't sure where to go to not bump onto the other. 

"Move it won't you. I need to use the bathroom." Yoongi said. His voice sounded clearer. Louder too. Jimin realized that Yoongi was closer to him that he initially thought.

"O-oh, sure." Jimin said. He accidentally tripped onto one of the legs of Yoongi's IV pole, making the both of them stumbling and down onto their knees. Yoongi hissed in pain. The IV tube was ripped out of his hand. He was bleeding profusely. 

"Watch where you're going damn it! Don't you have eyes or something?" Yoongi scolded as he stood up and rang the bell. Not long after that, 2 nurses showed up. Jimin was still on the floor. He was not sure on where to go if he stood up. Yoongi was trying to stop the bleeding. 

"Oh my." Said nurse Kim. She helped Jimin to stand up and guided him towards his bed. Jimin, on the other hand, felt like . He felt guilty, to say the least. His inability got the best on him for the nth time. 

"What happened here?" the other nurse asked Yoongi. He scoffed as the nurse attended to his wound. 

"That idiot tripped onto my IV pole. Is he blind?" Yoongi said sarcastically.

"He's born blind. But he's certainly not deaf. He heard every single thing you said." Nurse Kim said in Jimin's defense. Jimin was very close to tears. As mentioned before, Park Jimin is a major softie. Yoongi's face dropped. His mind went blank and he didn't know how to respond. He certainly did not expect the younger to be physically incapable. He looked too happy. Too enthusiastic to Yoongi's liking. The younger was literally radiating light the moment Yoongi laid his eyes on him. 

"This is not good. His blood is not stopping. We need to administer a blood coagulating shot." The other nurse said. Snapping the trance between both Jimin and Yoongi. Yoongi looked down. There were countless gauze drenched in bright red. His hands grew numb and it was shaking pretty badly due to the blood loss. After all, the IV was punctured directly into his vein. 

"Do you have hemophilia?" Asked nurse Kim as she walked away from Jimin to examine Yoongi's left hand. Jimin looked clueless. Yoongi sighed.

"No. I have acute myeloid leukemia." 

And the whole room goes silent.

"I-I'm just going to take the blood coagulating shot." Said the other nurse as she walked out of the room. 

"So, is this the reason why your guardian refused to get your blood tested?" 

Yoongi sighed again. The nurse asked him to lift his hand up to minimize the blood flow.

"I don't need to take repeated tests that will only show the same result." He said, defeated. Jimin kept silent all through out.

True, he was hurt on how Yoongi treated him earlier. But he doesn't hate him in any way. Something about the older man disturbed Jimin. Like how it seems like he had to remind himself to breathe sometimes, or how Yoongi sighed deeply from time to time for no apparent reason, or just Yoongi being Yoongi. 

The nurse came back and injected Yoongi with the medicine. Yoongi shut his eyes tightly. No matter how many times he got punctured by hypodermic needles, he can't seem to get used to the idea of having a hollow needle stabbing him to put or to extract something from his body.  Feeling lethargic, Yoongi fell into a deep sleep. 

"He's such a prick for saying those things to you." nurse Kim said as she ruffled Jimin's hair.

"Maybe life hasn't been too nice on him either." Jimin replied with a smile. Jimin hated the idea of fate and destiny. He hated the concept of being born with his future perfectly planned and arranged ahead of him. He hated that things just coincidentally happening without any particular reason. He hated the thoughts of having some people who are like him who were cursed with darkness his whole life, or people who were born to be doomed. That's also one of the reason why Jimin is not a believer. The idea of some celestial being taking control over everything does not click onto his mind. Why does god made him blind? Is it funny to watch when he stumbled upon something? Is it funny to see him getting bullied and misunderstood almost everywhere he goes? But Jimin do believe in compassion. Negative multiplied by negative will result in positive. Broken people fixing each other will do themselves a great deal.

 


 

"Yo!" A voice said as the sliding door opened roughly. He knew who it was in an instant. "I brought you some peach buns, Chim."

"Yo, Tae." Jimin said as he smiled brightly at him. "Try not to be so loud, yeah? There's someone rooming with me." Jimin said in a whisper.

"Oh. The mint haired guy?" Taehyung said as he placed the paper bag on top of Jimin's bed side table. "It's been a pretty long time since you're roomed with someone." Taehyung said as he plopped himself down on the sofa. 

"Yeah. The hospital has been pretty occupied. Hence they put him with me." Jimin said as he reached over to the paper bag. He felt something nice and warm. It was soft and moist to the touch. It's his favorite peach bun. "I love you so much for bringing these babies to me." Jimin said as he took a bite.

"Peel the paper off first, dumbo." Taehyung said as he snatched the bun away from Jimin's hands and peeled the paper off of the bun. He gave it back to Jimin, who was pouting childishly. 

"Yeah yeah. Whatever." Jimin said as he munched on the delicacy. "How's your day?" Jimin said as he tried to make a conversation.

"It was pretty boring. What do you expect from a medical student anyway." Taehyung said as he took one of the buns for himself. 

Kim Taehyung, a 21 year old student taking medicine as his course, is Jimin's childhood friend. Taehyung used to be Jimin's neighbor before he moved out. They somehow met each other when Taehyung was assigned to help out in the hospital where Jimin was admitted for accidentally falling down the stairs, resulting in a concussion. They were inseperable. Taehyung with his soft lilac hair and Jimin with his bright red hair stood out from the crowd like a sore thumb. 

"Oh, he woke up." Taehyung said softly. Jimin turned his head towards Yoongi's bed.

"Don't mind me. Continue your loud munching and conversation." Yoongi said grumpily as he the television. 

"I thought you were asleep, hyung." Jimin said. 

"Well how do you expect me to sleep through you and your friend's munching and talks. Gosh." Yoongi said. "And I'm not your hyung." 

"You are! You're 2 years older than me and Tae." Jimin smiled. "Dude where's your manners." Jimin said as he nudged Taehyung, asking him to introduce himself to the mint haired stranger. 

"My name is Kim Taehyung. 21 year old. Nice to meet you hyung." Taehyung beamed although what came out of his mouth was muffled, incoherent noises. His mouth was pretty full with peach buns. 

Yoongi stared at the duo. Dumbfounded. "I'm not your hyung either, Taehyung-ssi." Yoongi said. Taehyung blinked. Dismissing what Yoongi had just said.

"What's your name, hyung? Where do you work? Why are you here? Do you want some peach buns? They're fresh from the oven! No, the steamer!" Taehyung said. Jimin chuckled. "Yeah hyung! Tell us about yourself!" He said. 

Yoongi's eyes widened from the horror in front of him and he sighed. He wished he would just get out of the god forsaken place. 

 


AWW YEAHHHHHH lol I should be focusing on my other fanfic but idk.. Yoonmin is taking over my mind and i can't even sleep properly when I got the plot on my head. Thankyou for reading guys! Please do tell me what you think! I'm very very open to suggestions and critizism! Please don't hesitate to comment!! Again, thankyou for reading :D