Don't Leave Me

3 Steps To Loving You (EXO FANFICTION)
Please log in to read the full chapter

"I...I...I am s-sick..." Seyeon mumbled softly, but still loud enough for Sehun to hear. She didn't know why, but she was crying again. Was it fear? She didn't know either.

"Sick?" Sehun sprang up from his chair immediately and walked around the table to where Seyeon was. He grabbed onto Seyeon's shoulders as he looked at in concern, only to be more worried to see tears flowing down her cheeks. "Are you very sick? Does it hurt anywhere? Why are you crying? Do you need to see the doc-"

"Cancer." Seyeon interupted.

Sehun stopped talking and looked at Seyeon, stunned. He thought he heard it, but he didn't want to believe it. No, he must have misheard it. "W-what did you say?"

Seyeon looked up as more tears fell. "It's cancer...s-stomach cancer."

--------------------

Seyeon could feel the grip on her shoulders getting tighter as Sehun looked at her with an unreadable expression, like that of fear mixed with disbelief. "W-what did you say?"

Still crying, Seyeon held up the envelope on her hand slowly to the gap in between her and Sehun. Looking down at the envelope, Sehun's hands slid down her arms before he got hold of the dreadful brown sleeve.

Swallowing the lump in his throat, Sehun flipped the lid open and took out it's contents with trembling hands. As the words 'Medical Report' appeared, he stopped abruptly and closed his eyes, losing all the courage to further pull out the rest of the slip of paper and reading it. The time when he discovered his Father's medical report flashed through his mind as he felt all the pain and heartache gradually coming back into him. Gathering all his courage and taking a deep but uneven breath, he pulled the slip of paper out without further deliberation and slid it in front of the brown envelope.

Throughout this whole torturing time, Seyeon dared not look up. She was afraid to see the kind of expression that Sehun might give. She detested the fact that in face of the problem, no matter what she does, it would never fail to bring harm to her brother-it's just a matter of how small or big the harm could be. Of course, she chose the better way out before everything becomes too late. Sehun had to find out, sooner or later.

As Sehun's eyes scanned across the paper and the words 'Adenocarcinoma(stomach cancer)' came into view, he paled. His mind blanked in an instant, as if his brain short-circuited and needed to be rebooted. How could such a thing happen again? He tried so hard to get over his Father's incident, and yet the heavens had to throw a similar problem right in his face again.

Trembling with the piece of paper in between his fingers, he pressed the heels of his hands into his eyes until he saw nothing but bright sparks. Instinctively, he took a step backwards that was more like that of a stumble as he laid his palm on the table beside for support.

"O-oppa!" Seyeon called out as worriedly as she held onto Sehun's forearm to support him.

However, unexpectedly, she felt her grip being swung off the skinny but yet masculine forearm. She stood rooted to her spot as she tried to make sense of what was happening between her and her brother. So... that was how it felt like to be rejected by someone who never turned away from you.

Realising what he had done, Sehun blinked several times and gazed at Seyeon, tears finally falling. Knowing that he wasn't in the right state of mind to face his sister, he turned away to face the exit. "G-give me s-some time alone." He stuttered before brisk-walking out of the study, leaving Seyeon all alone in the empty room.

Even so, Seyeon couldn't blame her brother for showing such a reaction. Anyone in face of a similar situation, including herself, would react the same way.

Walking out the study, Seyeon dragged her feet weakly to the door of Sehun's room. Raising her fist hesitantly, she stopped as she heard soft, weak sobs coming from inside the room. Not being able to handle another second of seeing the pain she had caused to Sehun with her bare eyes, she turned away and ran out of the house.

As she reached the gate, she stopped and bit her lips as she allowed the tears to fall again. Clenching onto her hurting heart, she ambled down the cold, dark streets of the city.

Walking mindlessly, she automatically blocked out every form of noise around her- murmurs, giggles and laughters. *Oh Seyeon...you are so bad. You are the worst...* was all that was running through her mind at that moment. While everyone was staring weirdly at a young female wearing nothing but a loose t-shirt and a pair of tights on a cold winter night, she couldn't feel anything else except pain. She couldn't even feel her skin turning cold as a gush of cold wind blew across her. Sure, she did feel cold. Her heart felt as cold as ever.

As she walked and walked, she stopped at the playground where Baekhyun and her would always hang out after school when they were much younger. Strangely, the place itself seemed to offer a source of comfort she needed at that point of time. Walking over to the swing, she plumped herself down on the old swing as the same old thing ran through her mind again. *Oh Seyeon... you are really the worst.*

Looking around the playground, she started to think of that someone. In fact, she suddenly felt the urge to see him. Looking down on her phone that she somehow had with her all along, she unlocked it and swiped her finger across his contact.

-------------------

"Baekhyun! Wash the dishes!" Baekhyun's mother yelled at him from the kitchen.

Baekhyun frowned and poked his head out from his room. "Why is it me again! Get hyung to do it! We agreed to take turns!"

"Can't you give in even once? Baekbom is busy! Why can't you help out if you can game all night long?"

"Aish...whatever!" Baekhyun said in frustration as he slammed the door and jumped onto his bed.

The moment he laid on his bed and spaced out, she came onto his mind again. That was why Baekhyun hated to be bored with nothing to do- because he would end up thinking of Seyeon. What she was doing, if she had eaten or if she had gone to bed. Honestly speaking, he was sort of freaked out by himself at his obsession over a girl. With his outstanding appearance, he had all kinds of pretty ladies surrounding him. How the hell did he manage to stay in his lane since middle school?

"You are so powerful, Oh Seyeon... so powerful." He mumbled to himself as he shook his head.

Just then, his phone rang. Flipping over to the other side of the bed where his phone was lying at, he held it up and smiled upon seeing the caller ID. Without much hesitation, he cleared his throat and picked up the phone.

"What's up, missing me already, Oh Seyeon?"Baekhyun joked. However, the next instant, as Seyeon's soft sobs entered his ears, his smile turned into a serious face as he sat up.

"Hey Oh Seyeon, what happened? Are you okay? Where are you?"

"B-Baekhyun..." Seyeon croaked from the other end of the line.

"Yes I'm here, are you okay?" Baekhyun asked anxiously. He felt like another moment with this level of anxiety would seriously make his insides explode.

"Can you come?" Seyeon asked weakly,  calming down a little upon hearing Baekhyun's voice.

Baekhyun jumped off his bed and grabbed his coat before running out of his room and down to the living room. "W-where are you?"

"Playground."

"Stay right where you are and don't go anywhere else. I'm coming over now." Baekhyun said, running out of the door, ignoring his mother's screaming from behind.

-------------------

Fortunately, the playground was right smack in between their houses, so it didn't take long for Baekhyun to reach there by foot, but by running of course. It was a lucky thing he hadn't showered and changed out of his uniform yet, or he would already be running out in his pyjamas.

After a few minutes of running at a speed that even he himself was shocked at, Baekhyun reached the old playground. Scanning around, he stopped as he caught side of a familiar figure by the swing.

Jogging towards the swing, he removed his jacket. "Hey Oh Seyeon!" He scolded, putting his outwear over her shoulders. "Are you out of your mind?! How could you leave your house without a jacket in this weather?!"

Squatting down, he grabbed Seyeon's hands immediately and put it in between his palms. "Look at this... your hands are like two blocks of ice, you idiot!"

However, as a warm drop of liquid fell on his hand, he stopped and looked up at Seyeon, who was looking down as her hair safely hid her face.

"Hey..."With a voice sounding out all the worries and concern in the world, he carefully lifted Seyeon's chin up. However, the moment his eyes met with Seyeon's pale and tear-stained face, his heart wrenched.

[A/N: PLAY SONG IN HERE :> ]

"S-Seyeon-ah-"

"Baekhyun... I did the right thing, right?" Seyeon croaked as she stared into Baekhyun's eyes, like she was really desperate for an answer, like she needed assurance.

Please log in to read the full chapter