The Cold Treatment

3 Steps To Loving You (EXO FANFICTION)
Please log in to read the full chapter

A/N: Just play the song here throughout okay! I think it's quite a sad chapter ahead :(

Seyeon stared at Baekhyun, breathing unevenly. This was the first time she ever felt truly frightened of a human, her best friend. She felt herself tremble from his glare-the glare that looked like he was going to devour her any moment. His bloodshot eyes that were by then, filled with tears stared deep into her brown orbs.

"B-baekhyun... what's wrong? What are y-you doing?" Seyeon croaked in fear.

"What's wrong? Are you asking me that right now? Why not you ask yourself? What is it that you've been hiding from me?" Baekhyun whispered, like that of a whisper that is about to explode into a yell.

*It can't be... How did he... No it's not Oh Seyeon it's not about that.* Seyeon tried to reassure herself. But then again, what else was she hiding? That was her deepest and only secret.

"What are you-"

However, she was interrupted when Baekhyun brought out the brown envelope and put it right in front of her eyes. At that, her eyes widened in horror as she gripped tightly onto the sides of her skirt, crumpling it. So... he knew. He still found out; The matter she was trying so hard to keep from
him.

"So? What have you got to say now?" Baekhyun asked, tears rolling down his cheeks.

Seyeon looked at the medical report as tears fell. The words "Adenocarcinoma" seemed to prick on her heart like needles. It stood out from the other words so much-so much that it seemed to be the only words visible to her.

"I-I didn't mean to hide it from you. I was...I just... I just didn't want you to worry-" Seyeon tried to explain in panic, but was interrupted once again when Baekhyun laughed bitterly. The more he laughed, the more his tears fell.

"Worry?" Baekhyun paused, trying to hold back his tears. "Oh Seyeon. Don't you think it's something I have to find out sooner or later? So what if you can hide it now? What about next month? Or next year? How long can you hide? Or are you just going to hide it from me forever and leave quietly?! Do you think I will be any better off that way?!" His whimper started to escalate into a yell.  He looked at Seyeon, waiting and hoping for an answer. Waiting for her to tell him that he was seeing things. Waiting for her to hit him and tell him that he was too easily fooled. Waiting for her... To tell him that everything was a lie.

However, none came.

His hands, that were pressed against the door, slid down slowly. He looked up at Seyeon sadly. "Am I that insignificant in your heart... for you to hide this from me? Do you not trust me... m-me enough?"

Except for tears, there were only tears. Seyeon couldn't find the words to speak. She just stood there, crying. "Sorry...I'm sorry..." Those were the only words that she seemed to be able to say.

Baekhyun smiled bitterly as he looked up at Seyeon. "It's okay... I get it now." And thats was all he said before he pushed Seyeon aside and left the rooftop.

Seyeon sank down to her knees, falling onto the cold hard ground.It felt as if a warm, yet rough hand had wrapped around her heart and was squeezing it softly. ached as the tears tickled her eyes. She blinked for a moment then felt the warm dampness spill down her cheeks. Soon, tears fell down uncontrollably like a silent river. She cupped with one hand weeped, her tears falling onto the medical report sprawled all over the floor.

It hurt too much. Much more than she expected it to.

-------------------

Baekhyun ran and ran aimlessly, not knowing where his legs were taking him. The cold air brushed against his skin, drying up his tears in the process. He wished so much for the wind to blow all his pain and miseries away. It was too much for him to bear - the pain of being kept in the dark when a loved one was suffering alone.

As he reached the field, he slowed down, not able to run any further. Soon, he dropped to his knees and collapsed on the grass, limbs spread outwards. However, the tears never stopped flowing. Baekhyun stared up at the star-filled sky as the image of the medical report appeared repeatedly in his head. As he screamed in frustration, the tears flowed even harder.

He hated how everything was not a dream. He hated how things had to turn out this way. Most of all, he hated himself for not being that reliable and trustworthy friend for Seyeon to pour out her troubles comfortably to.

As much as he tried not to dwell on the issue, the negative images were replaying constantly in his head. What was frustrating was the fact that he could only think of the worst-case scenarios. The amount of 'what-if's he had running through his mind was endless. What if she couldn't pull through? What if she had to suffer? What if... he had to live without her?

And there he was, lying on the grass, crying for the rest of the day.

-------------------

The next morning, Seyeon woke up with puffy eyes and a tear-stained face. She didn't even know how she fell asleep. All she knew was that her tears never stopped flowing throughout the whole time she was lying on her bed. Sitting up on the bed, she gently rubber her face with both her palms before getting up and heading towards the toilet.

At the dining hall, Sehun was sipping on his coffee while reading through his work files.

"Good morning." Seyeon said tiredly as she entered the hall.

"Good-" Sehun stopped when his eyes landed on Seyeon.He stood up instantly and went in front of Seyeon, cupping her face in between his palms.

"What happened? Why are your eyes swollen? Did you cry?" He asked worriedly.

"Uh... I-I..." Seyeon shook her head lightly out of Sehun's grip and looked at him. "I just didn't get enough sleep I guess... "

"Is that so? Then why don't you go back up and rest? I will call your teacher-" Sehun said as he looked around and felt around his pockets for his phone.

Seyeon grabbed onto his wrist and stopped him. "Ah... no. It's fine, I'm okay. Besides, I have an important project to complete in school today." Seyeon lied. No, she doesn't have an important project. No, she's not okay. She was afraid of how Baekhyun will act when he sees her.

Sehun eyed her skeptically. "Are you sure?"

Seyeon nodded her head assuringly.

"Okay then. Eat your breakfast before you head off then. Remember to call me if you feel unwell in school okay? " Sehun reminded.

"Yes, I will."

After finishing a sumptuous breakfast she haven't had for so long, Seyeon bade her brother goodbye before leaving the house.

As she stepped out of the house, her heart dropped. Baekhyun wasn't there.

It felt weird, and yet expected.

"Guess he's still mad..." Seyeon murmured to herself as she closed the door behind her and made her way to the bus stop, disappointed.

--------------------

"Hi Seyeon!" Minji greeted the moment Seyeon stepped into the classroom. She grabbed onto Seyeon's arms cheerfully and looked behind her, expecting to see Baekhyun.

"Where's Baekhyun?"Minji asked casually. It feels exceptionally weird not to see Baekhyun with Seyeon, when he had been sticking onto her like glue all along.

Please log in to read the full chapter