I Will Be There For You

3 Steps To Loving You (EXO FANFICTION)
Please log in to read the full chapter

A/N: And of course, the author likes to use sad OSTs for sad and touching chapters :') I really worked hard to find the most suitable tracks for each chapter so I really hope you guys would listen to it. Trust me, it feels a lot like a drama when you imagine the scenes in your head as you listen to the music. ENJOY :D track for this chapter HERE :)

"She's running a really high fever. I've given her painkillers to bring her fever down temporarily, but do bring her to a doctor as soon as possible after school. It doesn't seem like a normal fever to me." The school doctor informed Baekhyun.

"Ah... okay." Baekhyun answered simply, taking a small bow to thank the doctor. What more can he say? The moment the doctor mentioned that it wasn't a so-called 'normal fever', only one thing came up to his mind-the medical report. He looked back at Seyeon sleeping soundly on the clinic bed and sighed, heart aching. What have she done to deserve all this pain? Or rather, what wrong had she done, to deserve such a useless friend like him, who couldn't do anything to ease the pain she was going through?

Baekhyun pulled out the chair beside the bed and sat down carefully, not wanting to wake Seyeon up. Suddenly, as Seyeon stirred a little in her sleep, he stopped sitting down mid-air and held onto his breath. When she finally stopped moving, Baekhyun gently slotted both her arms into the blanket and sat down.

Somehow, the more he looked at her, the more guilty he felt. It wasn't like he caused Seyeon all the pain, but he felt like he was at fault for not realising sooner. In contrast to the complicated feelings he bore at that moment, Seyeon was just sleeping peacefully, the rhythm of her breath seen from the movement of her chest. Just looking at her did calm Baekhyun down a little. Although his mood was like that of a tsunami, Seyeon's expression was like a reflection of a still and calm ocean.

Insticntively, Baekhyun held out his hand hesitantly above Seyeon's face. Slowly and carefully, his fingers inched closer to Seyeon's bangs as he carefully swept it to the side.

"I'm sorry..." He whispered bitterly, caressing Seyeon's cheek gently with the back of his fingers. "I'm sorry for being such a coward for the past few days."

Just then, Minji entered the clinic. She was about to walk to Seyeon's bed, but stopped halfway abruptly when she saw Baekhyun. As she watched the scene before her, she gripped on tightly onto the sides of the skirt and looked down, taking a deep breath. After calming down for a bit, she looked up once again and tried her best to put on a natural smile. (A/N: I guess this is quite a big hint of Minji's feelings but no worries, more in-depth explanation will be done in future chapters :) )

"Baekhyun,"She called from behind, startling Baekhyun a little, who didn't realise that someone entered the room. "can you just lend me five minutes of your time?"

Baekhyun looked up at her, then back at Seyeon. He sighed as he her hair tenderly for the last time as he stood up. "Sure."

--------------------

Minji swung her legs back and forth as she rubbed the can of hot cocoa in between her palms. The can of drink was obviously warm, but why was she feeling otherwise? Sometimes, she really wished that humans had the ability to control their thoughts and feelings. Wouldn't everyone be happier this way?

"So,"Baekhyun began as Minji turned over to her side to look at him. "What was it that you've to talk about?"

"You found out...right?" Minji asked.

Baekhyun pursed his lips and dropped his head. "Mmm."

Minji looked out into the school field and sighed heavily. "I just hope... you can understand her intentions of doing what she did."

Baekhyun looked over at Minji, puzzled by her statement.

"The moment she found out about her condition at the hospital, the first person she worried about wasn't herself," Minji paused, taking a deep breath as Baekhyun looked at her, eyes burning with curiosity. "but you."

At that, Baekhyun could just feel the tears b up from the corner of his eyes again. He looked away and bit his lips, trying to control his emotions.

Minji laughed sardonically, tightening her grip on her can drink. "At that point of time, I found myself so pathetic. I was supposed to be a heartless bully. I wasn't supposed to feel bad for anyone. However, Seyeon was the first person who made me want to truly care for someone, from the bottom of my heart. She is someone who would put up a strong front, although she may be dying on the inside. Bearing all my pain myself to not make someone else worry for me, is something I can never accomplish. What she have done may seem like a selfish act to you, but to me, it's an act of selflessness."

Baekhyun closed his eyes and swallowed the lump his throat. Minji's words impacted him a lot, which caused him to instantly regret what he said to Seyeon at the rooftop a few days ago. Plus the cold treatment he was giving her the past few days- Oh Byun Baekhyun are you an idiot? No... you are the worst person alive. Since he found out, shouldn't he show more care and concern towards her? What was he trying to do, running away and hiding like an idiot, acting like the one who was hurt the most?

"Therefore I really hope... you can make up with her. I know it isn't right of her to hide this important matter from you, but for the fact that she did it for you and not for her own good, can you forgive her? She hadn't been eating and sleeping well for the past few days either, so I hope you can at least be by her side and cheer her up a little..." Minji requested. Honestly speaking, she didn't know what had gotten into her, for her to become so sentimental.

Baekhyun smiled as he slid closer to Minji, putting a hand on her head and ruffling her hair lightly. "You've really changed, you brat." He said jokingly. Minji was surprised at his intimate gesture at first, but she didn't show much retaliation anyway.

Please log in to read the full chapter