29 – Guilt

3 Steps To Loving You (EXO FANFICTION)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Play track here!

They say life is unpredictable. One moment, you can be swimming in bliss and the next, you could be drowning in tears. 

They say to live everyday like your last.

Because you never know when is the end - your end.

-------------------

Trembling as she fiddled nervously with her blood-stained hands, Seyeon looked up at the red light on the wall before she closed her eyes again, tears threatening to fall. Up till then, she still couldn't bring herself to believe everything that just happened. Why must it be Baekhyun? Why can't it be her? What if...no. She would never forgive herself if anything bad happens to Baekhyun. 

She felt like it was all her fault. If she hadn't tried to be playful, if she hadn't ran out to the junction, all these would not have happened. It was entirely her fault.

Just then, panicky footsteps could be heard from a distance. The footsteps got louder and louder and finally stopped in front of her. Before she could even look up, a pair of cold and shaky hands grabbed hold of hers, startling her as her eyes shot up in shock. At that, a familiar pair of eyes came into sight. The familiar pair of eyes that had always been filled with warmth and love, was now replaced with fear and worry.

"Ss-Seyeon-ah what h-happened to Baekhyun.....M-my son....He's fine right? R-right.....?" Her voice shook along with her hands.

Seyeon looked into her eyes as tears welled up in hers. "Omoni...I-I..."

"Answer me Seyeon! He's fine right?! What did you do to him?!" Baekhyun's mother hollered, grabbing Seyeon by her shoulders and shaking her aggressively until both of them fell onto the ground.

"Omma, stop! It isn't Seyeon's fault! She didn't want this to happen either." Seeing that the situation was getting out of hand, Baek Bom rushed forward and held his mother back, pulling her into his arms to calm her down. 

As he caressed his mother's back, he glanced at Seyeon and gave her an assuring nod. 

That face, that look in his eyes. It was all so similar to Baekhyun's. For that fact, his assurance did not comfort Seyeon one bit. Instead, it made her feel even worse. 

"I'm sorry...sorry...very sorry...." That was all she could say as she looked helplessly at the poor lady who was crying uncontrollably in Baek Bom's arms.

To her, the pain then was already very unbearable. It felt as if her heart was torn and ripped apart ruthlessly repeatedly. She couldn't, and didn't want  imagine the pain that Baekhyun's mother was feeling if her share of it was already so intense. 

And for the rest of the time, everyone stayed quiet as they kept their heads down, leaving the cries of his mother echoing throughout the empty hallway.

It wasn't that they didn't feel like crying,

but that they are all crying on the inside.

--------------------

After another few hours or so of waiting, the red light finally went off. Everyone waiting along the corridor scrambled to their feet as they rushed towards the doctor exiting the operating theatre. 

"Doctor! How's my son's condition? It's nothing serious right?"Baekhyun's mother voiced out anxiously. Seyeon stood a distance behind, grabbing onto her skirt nervously as she waited for the doctor to speak.

The doctor removed his surgical mask as he sighed. "Fortunately, there wasn't much damage done to his head except for a cut which required a few stitches. However...."

However. That word. Seyeon's heart pounded even more violently as she waited for the doctor's next words.

"However what?" Baek Bom questioned. 

"His left leg was fractured quite badly. He might have to walk on crutches for a few months and undergo physiotherapy for his legs."

Everyone gasped as Baekhyun's mother lost her balance, losing consciousness momentarily.

"Omma!"

"Yeobo!" 

Baekhyun's dad and Baek Bom both called out as they supported her. Seyeon lifted a hand instinctively, but kept it back behind her again hesitantly. What right did she have to interfere? She was the cause of their misery anyway.

"Doctor, can he still attend a dance competition?" Seyeon asked, suddenly remembering about the competition that Baekhyun had been practicing for since months ago.

The doctor frowned and looked at Seyeon. " And when is that?"

"3 weeks from now!" Seyeon spoke after thinking for a while.

"Ah... then I would say it's rather impossible young lady. In fact, he would have to avoid physical activities until the end of his therapy. Even after the course of the therapy, I suggest that he try as much as possible to refrain from participating in vigorous physical activities, for example dancing, like you mentioned."

That was it. Those words struck Seyeon like a strong blast of lightning. Within an instant, she felt her heart crushing into a million pieces.

"D-does... t-that mean that he cannot... dance a-anymore?" Seyeon stammered. Despite the fact that she asked the question, she didn't want to hear the answer at all. She was afraid that the answer would be what she had expected it to be.

"Well, it's hard to say. I do have some patients giving up on certain sports because of the recurring pain that they experience after the therapy. However, some seem to do fine in enduring it. It all depends on the patient himself, but generally speaking, I'm afraid to say... yes."

And it was. What she had expected it be.

"I'll take my leave. You can see him shortly after he is being transferred to his ward. He will wake up once the anesthesia wears off, don't worry too much." The doctor informed as he walked off, his assistants following behind.

"My poor son... what did you do to deserve all these... you poor thing..." 

Baekbom led his mother away as she sobbed with his father following behind, sighing as he shook his head. 

And Seyeon was left all alone on the dark and cold corridor.

"I'm afraid to say...yes." The doctor's words played repeatedly in her mind, like that of a spoiled recorder. Sh

Please log in to read the full chapter