Happy Birthday...?

3 Steps To Loving You (EXO FANFICTION)
Please log in to read the full chapter

As Seyeon pulled out the chair and settled down, she noticed the unusually light feast laid out before her. Noticing her puzzled look, Sehun smiled and stood up to ladle out a bowl of porridge for her.

"I got the helpers to make lighter meals from now on, since... it's better for you this way. Try it." Sehun explained as he placed the bowl carefully in front of Seyeon.

Picking up the spoon beside, Seyeon tried a small portion of the food.

"How is it? Is it to your liking?" Sehun asked, looking at Seyeon with an expression full of expectation.

Seyeon nodded her head weakly and smiled, before scooping up another spoonful of porridge and putting it into again- Rather tasteless, and yet full of love.

"Seyeon..." Sehun called out softly, making Seyeon stop just as she was about to take another mouth of food. " Wait for me after school today. I will go get you."

"Okay...but are we going somewhere? Don't you have work? " Seyeon questioned in curiosity.

"I took a day off today since I thought I should... probably accompany you to the hospital to follow-up on your condition."

Although it wasn't very apparent, but Seyeon could just feel the hesitation in Sehun's voice as he spoke. She never imagined this to turn out as a topic between them. Being fortunate enough to meet her own brother again after so long, she would love for both of them to sit on a random bench in the park and simply catch-up, and not sit along the cold hospital corridor that reek of iodoform, waiting for results that makes you want to give up on life.

Looking back down on her food, all her appetite seemed to have disappeared. Swirling her spoon in the bowl of porridge, Seyeon sighed and nodded silently.

--------------------

After a torturous and boring lesson, the long-awaited bell that signals the end of the school day finally went off. After packing up quickly, Seyeon bade goodbye to EunMi before walking out of the classroom.

However, just as she stepped out of the classroom, a long arm slung over her shoulders, weighing her whole upper body down. "Caught you! Haha!"

Without even looking up, Seyeon already knew for sure who that cheeky voice belonged to. Who else could actually be so childish? Lifting up an arm, she jabbed Baekhyun's abdomen forcefully, making him release her in shock. "What was that for?" Baekhyun pouted as he complained, rubbing his abdomen.

"That's what I should be asking you. What was that for?" Seyeon retorted, folding her arms as she frowned.

"Just wanted to show some love for you, you know, L-O-V-E." Baekhyun reasoned, making a heart with both his arms above his head.

"Stop it that's embarassing."Seyeon scolded, pulling both of his hands down and setting it on his sides. By doing so, Seyeon stumbled forward naturally, creating a situation of an unexpected body contact with Baekhyun.

Both Baekhyun and Seyeon were taken aback by the sudden 'skinship' at first, but after awhile, Baekhyun grinned cheekily and slid his arms out of Seyeon's grip, encircling them around her waist.

Instinctively, Seyeon sprang away backwards and slapped Baekhyun's arm as she looked away to hide her burning cheeks, earning another yelp from the poor boy. It wasn't that she didn't like the hug, but somehow, she couldn't stand being so close to Baekhyun. It was as if his body was some electrical conductor sending electrifying shocks through her body with such intimate contact.

"Okay okay I will stop fooling around. Are you going home now? I can take you." Baekhyun succumbed.

Seyeon pursed her lips as she shook her head. "Not today. My brother is coming to pick me up."

Baekhyun's eyes rounded slightly in surprise. "Oh? That's rather unusual. " Baekhyun raised an arm and looked at his watch. "Isn't it still office hours though?"

" He took the day off because he wanted to bring me to the hospital to enquire about further treatment...I guess?"

"Ah..." Baekhyun nodded in understanding, trying to hide the cheerlessness in his voice. "Okay then. If possible, do let me know what the doctor said and remember to text me when you reach home, got it?"

"Mmm." Seyeon replied, smiling.

"Get going then. I will see you tomorrow!"

--------------------

Walking out of the main block, Seyeon scanned around the area and managed to spot Sehun's car parked right next to the tree at a near distance. It wasn't a difficult task after all since her brother, who was leaning against the car with his earphone plugged into his ears while scrolling through his phone, stood out from the surroundings so much even with a simple loose white top and a pair of ripped jeans. Was it even normal for someone to fantasize over how hot her own brother was? Damn it, he just looked so fine.

"Oh, you are here?" Sehun removed his earphones as he noticed Seyeon jogging over beside him. Removing her bag from her back gently, Sehun opened the car door , gesturing for her to get in. "Get in." Sehun smiled, placing his hand against the frame of the car so that she could sit in comfortably without knocking her head against it.

Beaming, Seyeon sat in slowly and buckled her seatbelt, allowing Sehun to close the door for her.

It's amazing how even small actions can make you feel so blessed to have a certain someone by your side.

--------------------

Sitting on the empty corridor, Seyeon kept her eyes on the ground as she played with her fingers. Why was she even so worried? It's not like she didn't know. It's not like Sehun didn't know. Her heart just keeps pounding violently against her chest without her knowing why. What exactly was the source of this fear?

Just as her thoughts were running wildly in her mind, she felt a warm pressure around her cold, trembling hands. Following it's source, her eyes met Sehun's. Tightening his grip around her hands, Sehun flashed a reassuring smile. And that was all he did, without saying a single word.

It was bewildering how this simple act can offer such a huge source of comfort. There wasn't even a need for words. Just by looking into his eyes, Seyeon felt her heart warming up slowly, calming the 'tsunami' inside of her. At that point of time, Seyeon felt so, so lucky to have met Sehun again. Perhaps this illness was a blessing in disguise; A disguise to make her realise how fortunate she was to have such a brother by her side, supporting her through her hard times so that she wouldn't have to fight alone.

"Oh Seyeon?" The nurse called out as she exited the doctors room.

Before Seyeon could do or say anything, Sehun shot up from his seat. "Here."

"You must be her guardian, right? You may accompany her in now." She informed with a gentle smile before turning away to leave.

Putting a hand out, Sehun looked down at Seyeon and beamed. "We are in this, together."

Gazing at the slender hand in front of her eyes, Seyeon blinked a few times as she made a made up her mind. *Yes, I won't run away anymore. I can overcome this. You are not alone now, Oh Seyeon. You have your brother, you have Baekhyun and Minji. You can do this.*

Taking a deep breath, Seyeon placed her hand into Sehun's, slowly and yet firmly. Flashing him the most confident smile she can give, she jumped up from her seat and turned to the doctor's room, ready to face whatever was going to come her way.

For she was sure of one thing.

As long as she had him by her side, she could overcome everything, and anything.

--------------------

Exiting the hospital, Seyeon exhaled deeply and took in a huge breath of fresh air from the outside world. It was only when she came out into the open that she realised how suffocated she felt inside the building. Sadly, though, she knew that it was going to be her second home starting from that moment onwards. Needles, tubes, lifeless corridors- she hated all of those, but she knew it was time for her to learn to accept how things were going to be and face her fears with courage.

Turning around, she noticed Sehun standing quietly behind her, biting his lip and frowning with his arms folded and his head tilted at an angle. He seemed to be deep in thought, like he was in serious dilemma. Curious, Seyeon slid closer to him and poked his biceps. [A/N: BICEPS YOU SAY?BICEPS. -smirks-]

"Oppa!" Seyeon called out lightly, startling Sehun as he jumped a little and looked at her with wide, confused eyes.

"Y-yes?"

"What are you thinking so deep about? Your eyebrows are going to meet soon, if you continue frowning even further." Seyeon teased, poking a finger in between Sehun's creased eyebrows and pushing it upwards.

"No...it's just that..."Sehun hesitated a little before he looked at Seyeon and let out a huge sigh. "I just remembered that I'm leaving in two days for a business trip, and I wouldn't be back until the day of your treatment. I just can't... leave you to be even for a day, needless to say five days. What if-"

"I will be fine." Seyeon interrupted, giggling. It was amusing to see Sehun growing increasingly tense as he spoke. Before her brother might explode into a serious state of panic, Seyeon decided to stop him and perhaps give him some assurance.

"It's not like I will be alone after you are gone right? I have the helpers at home, Mdm Jung and also B-" Seyeon stopped and bit her lip as she realised what almost escaped from . "My friends."

"Tch, your friends? Isn't it Baekhyun again?" Sehun questioned, narrowing his eyes at Seyeon and folding his arms in front of his chest in dismay.

Without saying anything, Seyeon gave a small smile as she looked down shyly. She could just feel her cheeks burning up and her heart rate getting faster.

What was this feeling of excitement, seriously.

"Look at you, look at you." Sehun commented, shaking his head from side to side disapprovingly. "Sister! What is this behaviour in front of your brother?"

"W-what?" Seyeon stuttered as she looked up, palms covering both sides of her face to conceal her supposedly red cheeks.

Upon seeing how shy his sister seemed, Sehun just shook his head and laughed it off, hiding that undefinable unpleasant feeling inside his heart.

--------------------

ONE WEEK LATER

"Eun Mi, I can trust you on this right?" Seyeon re-confirmed for the nth time, hastily packing her bag and getting ready for the big surprise.

Eun Mi laughed and shook her head. "Yes, yes, yes! How many times must you ask me? Not to worry, I bet my acting skills wouldn't lose out to Kim Tae Hee, not to mention my beauty. Aye speaking of which, why am I still suffering in school? I should be making a name for myself out there in the entertainment industry."

Rolling her eyes, Seyeon grabbed hold of the small gift box before heading out towards the door. "Okay, okay I get it! Thank you in advance! Please don't screw up!"

"I got it! I will make sure your surprise runs as smooth as my skin."Eun Mi joked before sitting back down on her seat, waiting for the main star of the day to appear.

A few minutes after Seyeon left, Baekhyun sauntered into the class room and scanned around the classroom. Upon noticing Seyeon's absence, he strode across the room to Seyeon's seat, where Eun Mi was sitting on at that point of time.

"Where's Seyeon?" He asked casually.

Please log in to read the full chapter