Where Do Broken Hearts Go?

It Started with a Drink
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Give me back my Kyungsoo, Kim," Chanyeol cut through the chase as he placed his glass on the marble top of the bar. The bartender who was standing a foot away got the subtle message and moved on the other side, wiping the top and looking around for more customers to serve.

Jongin held the urge to childishly snort. "You do not get to talk about her like that, Park. You can't just ask Kyungsoo in a snap of your fingers, like she's some kind of a thing that you could pass around just like that," he took a sip on his own whiskey. "And what makes you think that I will even consider handing her back to you?" he squinted his eyes at the taller mockingly. "I would never put her back into the hell she was in with you."

Maybe Jongin was exaggerating. He is being subjective at this but he can't help it. He feels responsible for keeping Kyungsoo away from this man who had the nerve to hurt her and then ask her back like he did nothing.

Chanyeol's eyes hardened, his stance unconsciously shifting to defense. "You don't know anything about our relationship. You don't have a right to talk down on what we had."

"That is pretty high, coming from you," Jongin rolled his eyes. "I may not know everything about you and Kyungsoo but I know enough to be able to say those things. How could you even ask her to come back to you when it is clear that she is sharing your love with someone else?"

The draining of color from the other's face told Jongin that he wasn't expecting him to know that part of the story. "I don't know what you're talking about," Chanyeol lied. It was one of the biggest lies he has ever told in his life. If he continues doing this lying thing, he might not be able to tell the truths and the lies apart.

But what could he do? He is losing Kyungsoo just like that before he could even repent from all of his bull.

"So are you telling me that Kyungsoo simply slipped off the ring that has been on her finger for years and return it to you just because? You and I both know that she is not that obtuse. You did something, Park. You screwed up."

Oh, I know. I ing know all about it, Chanyeol thought bitterly.

"Do tell me, Kim Jongin. What is it to you if you give me back my fiancée? It's not like you know her the way I do. I don't know why the two of you ended up married but I could bet my everything that it wasn't because you were in a relationship," Chanyeol was watching the other guy closely and he smirked inside his head when he saw a tiny faltering in his expression.

"What kind of a deal did she make with you? Just tell me, Kim. Whatever it was that you agreed on, I'll do my best to equal that. Are they shares? Properties? Just name your price, Kim Jongin. It will be win-win. You could have what you've laid on stake for this deal and you will be saved from pretending..."

"Stop, Park Chanyeol. Do not make me cause a scene by how you're being a first grade right now," Jongin is seething. He has let go of his glass in fear that he might crush it from his mere grip. He has never felt so angry in his whole life. This giant’s insolence dared to materialize and quantify Kyungsoo. He felt utterly offended for his wife and his upbringing and family's reputation are what is stopping him from swinging a fist to Chanyeol's face.

But the other seems so adamant and determined. "Jongin, please be reasonable. I know how to make Kyungsoo happy. I have been with her for eight years but we've known each other far longer..."

"Look," Jongin's tone is hushed but sharp and that had Chanyeol silenced. "I don't care of you have been with Kyungsoo for more than a decade. You've had your shot, Park. You said so yourself that you had been together for eight years. If you have the audacity to claim that you have made her happy all those years, why don't you ask yourself why she ended up married to me and not you?"

Kim Jongin has a point but Chanyeol can't just back down like that. He needs Kyungsoo badly. For his future. For his sanity.

"Please, Jongin," his pride is yelling at him for being far too wounded in all of his life but he bites it back for the reason that he is mighty desperate. He could even go down on his knees just to get Jongin to return Kyungsoo to him. He can't fall to the other side and Kyungsoo is his anchor from tipping over.

He has fallen off before and he has worked hard to climb back up because that is what is right. Being with Kyungsoo is right on so many levels.

Jongin shook his head and stood up. "I think we better end this here. And just so you know, Chanyeol, you are right. Kyungsoo and I came together without the investment of feelings at the start but you can't say anything to make me let her go. I love her, Chanyeol. Define that love however you want it but know that that love is the reason why I will hold onto Kyungsoo as long as she wants me to."

And he left feeling like he is floating with every step, wearing his heart like a crown and proud that he was able to say those things out loud.

While Chanyeol is left at the bar, hand gripping his glass with a crushing force that he cares less if it will indeed break. Maybe his bleeding physically can numb how he is bleeding inside. Everything is his fault. Everything started with him and he was the one that put a crack on his relationship with Kyungsoo.

But there is a reason why that crack was even possible in the first place. Chanyeol clenched his hands into fists, finally breaking the glass in his hand. He knew that little shards of glass dug into his palm and that the wetness he felt is warm in addition to the moist that came from the melted ice.

He didn't register the exclamation of bartender and asking him if he was okay. When he was met with no reply, he looked for his manager frantically and he spotted a sleek white phone by the bleeding man's elbow. He asked him again if he's alright but the man was looking blankly on the ground. This guy is one of the frequent customers he got for the past month.

He usually shows at least twice a week and the bartender couldn't help but wonder what could be the reason why the guy has been drinking mournfully on a single spot on the bar. That night was the first time that he ever saw him with a companion and by the looks of it, the other guy left in a not so good mood.

When the screen lit up, he immediately checked it and saw a call. He slowly crept his hand towards the device as he waited for the owner to pick it up himself. But the other made no move and he is still bleeding.

"H-hello? I'm sorry but are you friends with the owner if this phone?"

"U-uhh, I guess?" a melodic voice answered who sounded unsure.

"I'm sorry but I think you have to pick him up, sir. He's bleeding..."

"What?! I'll be there. Please don't make him leave even after first aid. Please."

The bartender sighed in relief. "Okay, Baekhyun-ssi. Please come soon," good thing he remembered th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter