Married Life - Day 18

It Started with a Drink
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Wow, aren’t you one lucky lady, huh?” Minseok piped as she saw Kyungsoo entering the teacher’s lounge with yet another bouquet of flowers. Said lady smiled her heart smile at her and Minseok rolled her eyes playfully. “Yeah, yeah. Rub in how blissfully married you are to some people older than you and yet still single.”

Kyungsoo chuckled as she settled on her desk, trying to look around for a new vase to put her flowers in. She still has a batch that was sent to her two days ago by her husband who had discovered how she loves to be sent flowers to. She saw the spare vase that she has gotten and placed the bouquet down on her table to fill the vase with some water. “Come on, Minnie. You could always go out and date. I’m not imprisoning you here,” she giggled as she carefully transferred her flowers from its wrappings.

“Well, not all of us happens to meet the most eligible bachelors around and bag one as a husband,” Minseok retorted as she stood up from her desk to admire the new flowers up close. Kyungsoo decided to not say anything because it’s not like she knew Jongin was a company heir just like how Chanyeol is. Maybe it is quite inevitable since they share the same social circle but even though it was quite late when she met Jongin, whatever they’re having right now is, she thinks, worth the wait.

It has been more than a week since they got back to their lives before they flew to America. Jongin is back on working on taking over Kim Corp while Kyungsoo spends most of her day in her pre-school, teaching her classes, talking with her co-teachers, playing with the kids, running the school in general and, in addition to her previous routine, getting swept off of her feet by Kim Jongin.

Jongin does these small things when she is at work everyday. Most of the time, he will be sending Kyungsoo text messages that he expects to be answered within ten minutes or else he will call her with his sulking tone. That is actually just an excuse for him to get to talk to his wife, even for just a few minutes. There were days that he will send over flowers just for the heck of it, like that day. And on some, he will have food delivered for her and just yesterday, he had ordered food for everybody in Sunshine Kindergarten for lunch.

Those are only on top of his regularly sent text messages. Jongin sends her a text message when: 1) Kyungsoo has gotten in the kindergarten as he dropped her off; 2) Kyungsoo is having her break after her 10am class; 3) Lunch time; 4) Just to give her an update on how his day went by 4pm; and 5) Jongin is on his way to fetch her from the school.

And these messages she diligently replies to with emoticons and she is replied with Jongin’s own barrage animated facial expressions that she could see him do in her mind. It’s just so out of character of the COO Kim Jongin who is always in crisp suit but Kyungsoo is one of the people who knows how adorable Jongin could get.

They are acting like lovesick teenagers but Kyungsoo can’t find it in her to feel silly. As her co-teacher and friend had pointed out, she is blissfully married to a wonderful guy. She really is lucky to be Kim Jongin’s wife.

“And space out when you are being talked to,” Minseok can’t help but smile at her friend. It has been quite a long time since she has seen her boss-slash-friend smile that genuinely. “Really, Do Kyungsoo?”

“Kim Kyungsoo now, Min. It’s already on my papers,” Kyungsoo beamed. One hassling part of getting married is fixing papers. Thankfully, Jongin has assigned himself responsible for that one and he has told Kyungsoo just last night that everything is good to go. She’s Kim Kyungsoo in all necessary fine print and it still has to sink in her because there is no going back now. Her marriage is very much a closed deal already. Not that she is planning on going back from that.

Her phone rang on cue and Minseok knew who that ringtone was for so she just rolled her eyes again and made a beeline to the door of the lounge and save herself from seeing Kyungsoo all fluffy and hear her sappy. Kyungsoo excitedly picked her phone up and giggled some more before she tried her best to look indifferent but she’s really, really close to failing, her lips twitching upwards.

“Sunshine Kindergarten, how may I help you?”

“Since when did my wife’s personal phone is used for school calls?”

“Oh, are you looking for Mrs. Kim, sir?”

Jongin chuckled and Kyungsoo’s smile broke out. There was no stopping it. “Yes, I’ve wanted to speak to my wife, Mrs. Kim Kyungsoo. Is she there?”

“Well sir, she has asked me to take her calls on her behalf so if you could just tell me your message, I will pass it on to her.”

“I see,” Jongin is sounding amused and he just played along. “Please tell her that Mr. and Mrs. Oh has invited us to dinner later and that I am picking her up a little bit earlier than usual so please tell her to get ready by 5:30.”

“Noted, sir. Consider it delivered,” Kyungsoo replied and at the corner of her eye, she saw the newly set vase. “And she is told me to tell her husband that the flowers were beautiful and that she says thanks.”

“Tell her that that’s nothing. My wife only deserves everything beautiful, just like herself.”

Kyungsoo burst out laughing. “Aren’t you a sweet talker? Where did my timid, husband go?”

Jongin calmed down as he laughed with her. “I thought I was talking to your secretary self, Soo. And to answer your question, we left him there in Las Vegas. You have no other choice but me.”

“I’ll take whatever I can, hubby.”

“That’s good to know because I’m afraid you have no choice, love,” Kyungsoo and Jongin fell into thick silence. Kyungsoo clearly heard what Jongin has called her and Jongin clearly heard what he has just called Kyungsoo. Jongin wanted to smack his head on his table to the slip up but it has been playing in his mind for a few days already when he heard Sehun and Luhan talking sweetly as they met him for lunch. He had been wondering how it would feel to call Kyungsoo a more intimate pet name other than the hubby-wifey thing that they have adapted to and he has embarrassingly went ahead of himself as his imagination pushed ‘love’ as the pet name he wishes to call his wife and maybe, if the gods are looking at him favorably, he will be called that too.

But then he knows that the l-word is not taken lightly by Kyungsoo and he doubts if his wife will just agree to that easily. It’s just that his mouth sometimes gets way ahead of his brain and now that it was out in the open, he doesn’t know what to expect. His spirits were dampened as the silence went on and he hated it. It has been going very well between the two of them, especially their second weekend together where all they did was horse around Jongin’s penthouse but they were happy and content as they ended up just cuddling almost all the time. He just had to go and hang something above their heads again.

“Soo, I’m sorry. I…”

“That’s okay, Ni. Have you eaten your lunch?”

Jongin sighed, grateful for the change of topic. “Yeah. How can I not when this is the first packed lunch you made for me?”

Kyungsoo smiled, her heart’s pace slowly going back to normal. Being called ‘love’ was enough to take her breath away and render her mind blank for who knows how long until she heard Jongin apologizing. Even though they have been nothing short of happy with each other, they clearly couldn’t venture in things about love yet. For whatever reason, Kyungsoo has set aside thinking about that for later. They still have plenty of time to figure things out and they still have time to enjoy themselves and whatever it is that is between them that keeps their relationship to being married in paper and kind of boyfriend-girlfriend behind the curtains.

“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure to make it for you everyday, hubby.”

“I—I miss you, Soo,” Jongin breathed. This, at least, is safe territory. This is what they could both say to each other without any reservations because missing each other is what they could easily accept as a rational longing since they have established that they like each other too much that they have skipped the just-friends stage in a relationship and jumped to more-than-friends-not-quite-lovers phase.

“Miss you, too, Ni. But we just saw each other this morning and we are being stupid like this,” Kyungsoo pointed out with a giggle to ease the weight on her chest. It wasn’t unpleasant in anyway but the force it comes with is a little overwhelming and she thinks that she and Jongin both agree that they shouldn’t blindly be carrie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter