If the Feeling is Gone

It Started with a Drink
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin's home phone rang and it jolted him awake and his surprise threw him off his bed and his upper body dangling off to its side. He groaned, annoyed, and glared at the blasting thing which was conveniently placed beside his alarm clock that says that it was just five in the morning. It would ring in about an hour and a half but it will only be Kyungsoo who will get up because she will fix them breakfast and he could sleep for one more hour before they head off to the school and then he will drive to the company.

But someone was determined to wreck that routine and it is not sitting well with him. He thanked his years of dancing that he was able to move swiftly back to his previous position, minus his wife's arm placed on his chest, and yank the device off its cradle.

"Wha--"

"I am truly sorry to disturb your sleep, Mr. Kim," the voice on the other line was obviously nervous and scared. Jongin decided to cut him slack and remained quiet. The guy on the other end of the call cleared his throat and took the silence as his cue to continue.

"There is a man here, sir. He's looking for Mrs. Kim," he paused. "I swear, sir, that I have told him that it is not wise to disturb you this early but he just cried some more and begged. He insists and he told me to tell you that his name is Byun Baekhyun."

"Uhm..."

But the guy, probably the receptionist, took that as his permission to send Baekhyun away. "I understand, sir. I will request for his immediate removal from the building. Again..."

"N-no. I mean... let him up," Jongin sighed. He doesn't know how this will end but if he was able to survive Chanyeol, how difficult could Baekhyun be?

He slipped off the bed and placed a kiss on Kyungsoo's forehead, smiling a little when her nose twitched cutely upon contact. Jongin stepped into the living room and sat on the sofa and reached for the hidden controller under the side table. When the doorbell rang not too long after he settled, he pressed the button his finger was hovering on to let his too early visitor in.

Actually, Jongin was prepared to tell the guy to off personally and not to call Kyungsoo until he deems his wife to be ready to face her past. Seeing how anxious she was last night, Jongin knew that she is not yet prepared to hear anything from her ex, much less her bestfriend.

But seeing how bloodshot and frail looking Baekhyun was when he came into his view, his abhorrence got stuck in his throat. Jongin hummed and Baekhyun's attention was on him, looking confused seeing that he is alone.

"Mr. Kim, I'm sorry for coming on such late notice but thank you for letting me in," Baekhyun tried to appear as though he isn't crying and his voice is sounding steady. He tries to look as presentable as he could but he's failing, really. But Jongin doesn't have the heart to break it to him.

"What is so urgent that you have to go all the way here, Mr. Byun? I would find it hard to believe that this is about business," he probed and the other's mask is slowly cracking around the edges.

"I am leaving for good, Mr. Kim," he heaved a deep breath and by the way his lips were quivering, he's stopping himself from crying. "I don't know how much you know but it is not a mystery to you that Kyungsoo and I are not on speaking terms," he looked down and Jongin knew that the tears were too hard to stop. Baekhyun's voice croaked. "But before I go, I just want to properly apologize. Please, Mr. Kim, allow me to see Kyungsoo for the last time."

Baekhyun looked up and Jongin panicked as the waterworks looked like they aren't stopping anytime soon. He cursed himself for being so socially awkward outside of work and Sehun and Luhan. It's not like he can comfort the crying man like he comforts Kyungsoo. His rigid and confused stance turned to defensive when he felt arms wrap around his torso and a blow of hot breath by the side of his neck.

"Kyungsoo," he breathed in, mostly, relief and wonder.

"Maybe you could leave us?" she spoke against the exposed skin just below his nape and if they were in a different situation, Jongin would've loved to spin around and kiss his wife senseless. But there is something in her tone that made it final and that put Jongin in no room for argument. He sighed and gently loosened the arms around him and he faced his wife who had a hard mask on.

"You sure?"

Kyungsoo nodded once and tiptoed to place a reassuring kiss on Jongin's lips. But her husband didn't miss that she avoided looking him in the eye. "Yes, I'm sure," she paused and Jongin waited for her to continue. It was then that she looked up with a lost look in her eyes and even though her face says that she's indifferent, her eyes says otherwise. "You'll be here, right? You'll stay?"

Jongin's heart was pricked by her words. Her insecurities might've resurfaced upon seeing her bestfriend in the state that he is in. He swooped down for another kiss, this time much longer than the first. "Of course, Mrs. Kim. I'll be here."

Kyungsoo hugged him briefly and when they broke apart, Jongin went off to the kitchen and plans on trying to make breakfast. Kyungsoo then made her way to the seat on Baekhyun's right, leaving as much space as possible. One look at her bestfriend and the pain that she has buried inside her are starting to rattle and break out from their confines.

She was awake since Jongin placed a kiss on her forehead and she might've just gone back to sleep but then she heard Jongin talk to a certain Mr. Byun and she had to check if it was really Baekhyun.

Proving that she was right is the familiar voice that has lulled her to sleep many times. She has heard that Baekhyun wanted to talk to her and hearing that he will be gone for good, something inside her urged her forward and grant his wish.

Now that they are facing each other, the silence was too thick between them as no one wanted to breach the gap.

It was Baekhyun who did it eventually.

He walked towards Kyungsoo got down on his knees with his eyes trained on the ground, his head tucked down.

"I... I'm s-sorry, Princess. I - I am a no good knight for you because I am selfish. I d-don't think I could e-ver say every - everything if I will talk," he then fished something out of his jacket pocket and placed it on the space beside Kyungsoo who is watching his every move.

It was a folded paper with creases at the corners and some folds in the middle. "I give you the ch-coice to read this. This contains the whole t-truth, Princess," Baekhyun took out a hanky and wiped his tears away. "I am just so sorry for everything but I don't really deserve your forgiveness. I just want y-you to know the truth. I... owe you that, at l-least."

Baekhyun then got to his feet and Kyungsoo is just looking at the paper beside her, contemplating what to do with the truth presented to her. Does it even matter still? It was all in the past and knowing it will not change anything.

"I will t-take my leave now, Princess. I love you and I will really miss you," he bowed even though Kyungsoo wasn't looking at him. It was just another blow to his shattered heart and he knows that he did it to himself. It's just that he missed Kyungsoo so much during the last months and to think that he was the reason why their two decade friendship had crumbled to dust.

"Goodbye, Kyungsoo."

It was when the front door clicked as it locked that Kyungsoo's mask broke completely and Jongin is already beside her. She was held tightly and whispers of comfort and security by her husband echoed in the living room. She is still looking at the letter beside her.

"He really left, Ni? Baekkie left?" she asked through her sobs but her husband remained tight lipped. It was rhetorical and his guts are twisting inside him because Kyungsoo is looking a lot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter