Keep Holding On

It Started with a Drink
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’ll go first, Mrs. Kim,” Minseok waved her hand as she stopped by the door, her grin a little too wide for Kyungsoo’s liking. She rolled her eyes, still not quite used with one of her closest friend always teasing her. But she can’t help the smile creeping up her face because she loves being called Mrs. Kim. It makes her feel giddy inside but not quite as intense as to if it was Jongin calling her Mrs. Kim, Soo, wifey, baby or love. Her husband has taken a liking to calling her all these pet names and as dumb as it sounds, she loves that too.

Maybe she just loves everything about Jongin.

She nodded to herself. She definitely loves everything about Jongin.

At her Jongin-induced daze, she didn’t notice that Minseok has already left and that she is alone in the office and probably the only person, apart from the security, left in Sunshine. The ping of her phone brought her back and upon reading the message, she has hastily put the necessaries inside her bag and tried her best to tidy her desk in her hurry. Jongin said that he’ll be coming in five minutes and she could hardly wait.

She blushed to herself because the reason why her husband is picking her up after weeks of not being able to was because she had a slip of tongue during one phone call from her mother-in-law. Jongin’s mother might or might not have scolded her husband for keeping Jongin in the office beyond office hours and as a result, Jongin was demanded to be out of the office as soon as the clock struck five in the afternoon. She tried to talk again to her mother-in-law but she was brushed off with a ‘I’d rather have my grandchildren soon so humor this old lady, Kyungsoo-yah’.

Kyungsoo loved this anyway so she simply thanked her and anticipated her husband’s arrival. She was by the entrance and greeted Sungyeol on her way out. The young guard smiled and gave her a salute as she walked a little ways to the parking lot, admittedly overexcited for her date with Jongin. She was already way passed the stage where she still felt bashful around him. It was a lot easier now that they just do what they want, without thinking of anything else but the two of them.

It may sound selfish but Kyungsoo has sought for everything that was Jongin to her for years. And now that she has finally found him, is it so bad to indulge herself? She makes Jongin happy this way too so it’s a win-win. She fixed the strap of her bag and craned her neck a bit to see if she could make out Jongin’s car from where she is standing. But a hand landing on her shoulder made her shriek in surprise. She whipped her body so fast to see who it was and she felt like ice-cold water was dumped on her upon seeing Chanyeol with a smile on his face.

Sungyeol, upon hearing the owner of the school scream, ran to her and assessed the situation carefully. He knew who the tall man was, after working for almost two years in Sunshine Kindergarten but he also knows that Ms. Do, or Mrs. Kim now, has broken up with him a few months ago and that she is happily married to the successor of Kim Corp. The discomfort was evident from his employer’s face and that pushed him to move forward and stand by Kyungsoo’s side.

“Ma’am, is something wrong?” he asked, poised to keep the tall man away if he is upsetting the lady beside him.

“Nothing’s wrong, Sungyeol. I was just talking to Kyungsoo,” it was the man who answered and he wanted to scoff. He wasn’t the one he asked so he kept his eyes on Kyungsoo who is looking at the man – Chanyeol? – with a frown on her face.

“Ma’am?” he asked again, as if he didn’t hear the other one speak. He regarded Kyungsoo carefully and was contemplating on calling her husband to take her away before she cries. Sungyeol cannot handle crying girls. Kyungsoo finally looked at him with a weak smile.

“I’m okay, Sungyeol-ssi,” she replied and then she looked back at Chanyeol with an unreadable expression. “I don’t think we have anything to talk about, Chanyeol.”

Burn! But Sungyeol kept his mouth shut and he wanted to laugh at Chanyeol’s crumpled face. He might be biased because Kyungsoo is the one paying for his salary but he knows how good a person she is and if Chanyeol hurt her enough to break off their relationship, then this man is a douchebag. He stayed there even though he knew he was stepping on some lines already but he can’t just leave the lady like that, right?

“Kyungie…” Chanyeol started and the hardening in Kyungsoo’s gaze scared even Sungyeol, who took a step back.

“Don’t you have a company to run, Mr. Park?”

Chanyeol looked sheepish as he scratched the back of his neck. “I do but…”

“Then you have no reason to be here,” Kyungsoo cut him abruptly. It has been so long since Kyungsoo felt angry because she has only been feeling happiness as of late, courtesy of Jongin. “You know your way,” she gestured to the gate, her glare unfaltering.

The tall man smiled weakly and hung his head, defeated. “I guess this is not a good time to ask you out. Maybe another day.”

Kyungsoo snorted. “Ask me out? Do you hear yourself, Mr. Park? Why would I go out with you?”

Knowing that it wasn’t in his place to hear whatever they are talking about, Sungyeol stepped back completely but still keeping an eye on Kyungsoo. He would be ready to step in, just in case he needed to.

A car appeared by the gates and Sungyeol knew that things are about to get interesting. It was like seeing a movie play out right in front of his eyes. He briefly wonders if his girlfriend will believe him when he tells this to her.

Jongin was whistling a happy tuned as he turned to enter the parking lot of the school, only to choke on air when he saw Kyungsoo and Chanyeol in the middle of the parking lot. His mood went considerably down as the thought of Chanyeol still bothering his wife grated on his nerves. He had told Kyungsoo about his suspicion that it was her ex-fiancé who sends her the unsolicited flowers. It turned out that they had the same hunch but they didn’t talk about it further. They’d rather spend their time together talking about them and not involving annoying exes into the picture.

“—I’m married, Chanyeol, in case you forgot,” he heard Kyungsoo said as he stepped out of his car that he has just carelessly parked. He saw the guard look at him and bowed a little. He liked the guy and it seems like he had looked after his wife before he came there.

“You weren’t supposed to!” Chanyeol argued childishly. An errant thought that Kyungsoo has a soft spot for childish guys crossed Jongin’s mind but he shook it off as he strode towards his wife and when he pulled her closer, he could feel that she was slightly shaking.

“What brings you here, Mr. Park?” he asked as casually as he could, keeping from his voice his intent of beating up the taller. Chanyeol wore back his tough mask and glared at Jongin.

“It’s none of your business, Kim,” Chanyeol spat venomously. Jongin wasn’t a bit fazed, especially that Kyungsoo has relaxed in his hold and her arm s around his waist.

“You made it mine because this has something to do with my wife,” he replied i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter