16

Will You Follow Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Walking through the room you saw Halabeoji laying there, his chest slowly raised and fell beaneath fog of steam from the air purifier. His face more pale and more sunken than when you last saw him. Your own chest began to feel heavy as guilt settled in. You wished you had visited him more often recently to see how he was doing.

Your grandparents passed away when you were young, so you didn’t have much memories of them, however Halabeoji was exactly what you’d think a perfect grandfather would be like. He was the only elder that you connected with the most. You loved your parents, aunts and uncles, but Halabeoji, he understood you the way your family never quite did.

The day you found out that your Dad was getting remarried, you were whirled up with a mixture of anger and sadness. You couldn’t be mad at your dad or his fiancé, they have been nothing but respectful and careful since the beginning of their relationship and even throughout. They always invited you and your brother over for dinner; included you two in outings and events to make you guys feel welcomed. They both didn’t want to upset you and Jackson in anyway. You knew that after the divorce that your parents would never get back together. You told yourself it was for the better, especially after all the horrible and painful fights. It just wasn’t possible. In life, there were just some situations where you knew some things would never ever happen and you had accepted it. But somewhere shoved back, hidden and chained up against the back wall of your heart, there was that tiny sliver of hope that maybe, possibly…. your family could be a family again. But that hope completely died when the words, “We’re getting married…” came out of your dad’s mouth.

That day you needed to leave your house from all the talks of the marriage from your family. So you walked into the only place you knew you could escape from reality. Halabeoji saw you trudging in with your shoulders stooped. You gave him a forced smile before disappearing into the aisles.

You sat there in the corner hiding your face in the books struggling to keep your mind off the announcement when you felt a soft touch on your shoulder and when you looked up, you saw Halabeoji handing you a cup of tea, the smell of chamomile and lavender filled your tiny space. You gratefully took it from him and although it was difficult for him, he shakily sat down next to you. You couldn’t look at him or anyone as a matter of fact at that moment, but he gently pulled your head to his shoulder and the tears you had been trying to hold in began rolling down your cheeks. He patiently sat and comforted you with silent pats on your head until the last tear dropped. He never asked why you were crying and to this day, you don’t think he even knew. You knew the reason why you were crying was selfish, but you were able to cry and let it out because of Halabeoji.

 

You noticed that Jinyoung’s mom stared at your hand that was holding Jinyoung’s and you quickly slid you hand away from his. You hadn't been properly introduced to his parents, you didn't even know what you were to him, and there you came in holding his hands. You felt a bit ashamed and embarrassed

“Hello.” You bowed politely to his parents.

His dad nodded in acknowledgement, but his mom continued to stare, and her stare made you feel like you wanted to shrivel up.

“How is he?” Jinyoung asked as he continued to walk to Halabeoji’s bed while you stood in your spot even though you wanted to be by Halabeoji’s side and holding his hand, but you didn't want to overstep any boundaries with his family.

It seemed as though his mom literally had to peel her eyes off of you to look at her son.

You look over to see Chorong and she gave you a soft smile but her eyes seemed as if she was going to start crying at any moment. You figured she must’ve been close to Halabeoji too.

"He had a . He’s probably been so stressed out and overworking himself trying to keep that damn bookstore afloat. We should’ve closed it down when we had the chance.” Mrs. Park complained as she pulled and retucked Halabeoji’s blanket.

You were a bit taken back by the she talked about the bookstore. The thought never occurred to you that one day it would be closed down. Were you the only one who loved that store?

“But grandpa loves that store. It’s his life.” Jinyoung stated, his eyebrows met in seriousness.

“Well look where it's gotten him” She said with irritation. “No one goes there. He was barely scraping by trying keep it open.”

Your sadness was beginning to be replaced with anger for Halabeoji. Just like what Jinyoung said, the bookstore was his life. Anyone could see how much he loved that bookstore. The way he smiled when he randomly stops mid-dusting and pulled out a book and skimmed through it, or the way he coils recommend books on the top of his head to anyone if they told him what kind of books they liked.

How could she speak of something that was so dear to him like that?

“By the way Jinyoung, did you really think that it was appropriate to bring a stranger here?” Jinyoung’s mom glanced back at you, her eyes suffocated you and you froze in the spotlight.

Chorong and the dad’s eyes darted back and forth from Jinyoung’s mom to you.

“She’s known Halabeoji for years. She’s just as worried as I was when I told her what happened him.” He said as eyebrows creased more with agitation.

“Well, it’s night time, it should just be immediate family right now.”

“Yeobo.” Mr. Park spoke up.

Jinyoung then turned his body and looked directly in his mom’s eyes “Well then, why is Chorong here?”

Chorong flinched at the mention of her name. Her head sunk into

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter