Chapter 7: The End of the Contest

M&M's World

          "Are my couples ready? Hana, tul, set, GO!" The MC started the competition and everybody started cheering.

          Minho looked me and gestured for me to pick up the card. I knew I didn't have time to see how far other couples were if we even wanted a chance to be in the top three. I closed my eyes and the card up with my mouth, I turned around to pass it to him. My heart started beating fast and loud. I'm pretty sure even the MC could hear it. Minho came close to my face and took the card from my mouth. I closed my eyes even tighter because our noses touched. I didn't have time to freak over this skinship so I just did the process all over again. Minho kept whispering go faster, a little too competitive for this contest if you ask me.

          I did NOT want to go to Jeju island all alone with him. Especially because we also have school to finish. So I was at the most, shooting for second place. I have never been to Lotte World. I wonder how my first experience would be with him by my side.

          I bent over to pick up another card, but all I felt was the bumpy plastic table. I finally opened my eyes and I turned to Minho. "We're done," I said casually. He grabbed my wrist and put it in the air along with him. We're done!" he shouted.

          The MC came over to congratulate us, "Our first place couple have been chosen! Congratulations you young lovers!" Damn it! I really hope he would also stop calling us young lovers. We're not young lovers!

          "The vacation doesn't start until winter break so you can be out of school and stay warm and toasty while everybody else is freezing," he handed us the tickets along with a brochure of where we'll be staying. Apparently this contest had an answer to all my problems.

          "Cool," I tried really hard to look happy. I'm guessing it worked since the MC smiled back. He walked back to his position so he could MC over the competition.

          We sat down in the "first place" seats, waiting for the game to end. I handed him the envelope with tickets and the brochure. He took them and set them back in my lap. I looked up at him with a confused face.

          "What's wrong? We won this contest and you're still looking... sad or disappointed or something," this time he his face had a slight frown on it.

          I put on my fake smile again, "What do you mean 'sad'?" I looked at him dead in the eye. I'm at least getting used to making eye contact with him.

          He seemed to have hesitated about something, then, he put his hand on the side of my face. I acted like that skinship didn't affect me. So much darn skinship. "Wipe that fake smile off. Every time you see me or you're around me you look scared or somber," he paused before he said 'scared'. "Do you like... not want to have anything to do with me?" He took his hand off my face and looked down.

          "No! No! No, it's not that at all! And there was times when I was content around you. And the other day," I paused in mid-sentence, "...wait no that was today when I called you," I didn't even want to point out the fact that Sunny called him. I always had an opportunity to hang up instead of answering the phone.

          He let out a deep sigh, I had no idea you interpreted my nervousness as depression. "Yea that was only about two times. It's just that I'm trying really hard to befriend you, and you're not responding," he said confidently. It finally struck me that he was actually trying to be friends with me. But wait...

          "Why would you want to start being my friend in senior year? We've known each other since junior high and I never even knew you knew my name," I said confidently also.

          He started stuttering and finally he started speaking correctly again, " So you want to be my friend too right?" He dodged my question. 

          "Yea of course, why wouldn't I?" I smiled at him. Then I started to remember that he was my crush and I wanted to be more than friends. What if we're stuck in this friend status forever?

          "That's great. Park Misun is now Choi Minho's friend," he took my hand and shook it. He smiled at me once again. Looking at his face, made me grin also.

          The competition stopped some minutes after our conversation. The second place winner was the pretty lady who could be a model and her nerd boyfriend, and the third place winner was a couple that could have been in their thirties. I felt bad for the couple in their thirties, I think we should have switched prizes. What if the man wanted to propose to her in Jeju island? And what couple that old wears couple accessories? We totally destroyed their future.

          Minho and I walked into the mall to continue our day plans. Like always though, he was holding my hand. I'm starting to think he has this much skinship with all his friends who are girls. But he never hangs around any girls, just the Shinee Crew. What makes me so special?