Chapter 10: Myeong-dong Do

M&M's World

           I didn't have a car so my mom always had to pick me up from school. I couldn't wait to tell her about my day. We were so close, that I already told her about Minho years ago and I basically just told her everything important in my life. When I saw her car pull up, I threw my backpack in the back seat and hopped in the front seat. I buckled my seatbelt and started tapping on the dash board.

          "Ummmaaaa," I dragged out her name like a little child. "Guess what?"

          "Hmm, let's see... Did aliens abduct your principal?" she said, her eyes glued to the road.

          I looked at her sideways, "Umma, what type of guess is that?"

          "An educated guess?" she said.

          "That's... that's not educated at all," I said. She burst out laughing.

          "I'm just playing with you. Go ahead, tell Umma what happened," she said and patted my knee.

          "He asked me out... on a date... I'm so excited! You need to take me shopping," I locked myself onto her arm and looked up at her face, "Now."

          "Omo. This is so exciting. My daughter going on her first date. Omo, we need to buy you a dress, get your hair,nails, and make-up done," she shrieked.

          "This is not my first date!" I said. She turned her head and gave me this glaring look, "Okay, maybe it is my first date. But anyway, you're so right! We can go to Myeong dong and buy me on outfit there," I didn't know who was more excited, me or my mom.

          "Oh yea that's right! But wait a second, do you have homework?" I forgot, she's still a mom.

          "I have a rough draft essay that's due in two weeks. And problems from my math book," I knew that she knew I could finish the math in less than ten minutes. The essay, well the essay is due in two weeks. Not to say I procrastinate, but two weeks is a long time, I can just start on it tomorrow. But this date is really important at the moment.

          "Hmm, okay. Let's go stop by that forever21 store in Myeong dong," she said, making a turn to start heading to Myeong dong district.

          "Can we go to Accessorize afterwards? I love that store!" I said. I was excited that I was actually getting ready for my first date. I kept bouncing in my seat and hitting the dashboard. I'm not a person that hides their feelings well. My mom started to pat my head which is her gesture for saying "calm down".

          "Tell me, how did he ask you out all of a sudden?" She asked. Her face looked like she was really confused. was kind of crooked and her head was slightly tilted as she was staring blankly.

          "I... don't know. I mean I guess we became friends this year," I had a small flashback at what happened at the mall last week. "But then today he asked me out. Matter of fact, he started talking to me the first week of school."

          "That's weird. Hmm, maybe he already liked you, but was just too shy to make the first move," she said. She parked on the side of the sidewalk and unbuckled her seatbelt.

          "Umma, that's absurd. It doesn't even make sense that a member of the Shinee Crew would be too shy to confess to me. Me out of all people," I said as I also unbuckled my seatbelt.

          "Just think about it. He talks to you first. He wants to be friends. He asks you out. And it is senior year. It can only makes sense that he has liked you all this time," she started to open her car door so I opened mine too. I pondered on what she said for a moment. Could she be right? It's not like I could just ask him and say "hey did you like me this whole time but was averse about it and decided against asking me out?". Now that's ridiculous.

          I finally got out of the car and walked inside the store. I knew I wanted to look effeminate for this engagement, so I immediately started heading towards the skirts and dresses section. I was rifling through the racks of dainty pleated skirts. They were all so cute I didn't know which one to pick. I'm not a tomboy or anything, it's just I preferred to wear pants and shorts on the daily basis. In fact, I always thought skirts and culottes fitted my figure nicely. Then suddenly mom came over. Actually she nearly scared me to death because I didn't see her running towards me.

          "I had an idea. You could wear heels or pumps. I saw you going through the skirts and that's what made me think about heels," my mom said. Her face was gleaming, I think I found out who's more excited about this date.

          "I can't walk in heels. I was thinking of wearing ballet flats. They're still pretty and comfortable," I said. The last time I wore one inch heels I nearly broke my ankle.

          "Right," she said as she was also probably remembering this flashback. "Well, want me to help you look around these racks?"

          "Yes! Please!" I said. A mother's touch never hurts right?

          We searched through the racks of pleated skirts for forever in a day. Then I saw it. It wasn't much, but it was everything I wanted. It was a basic elastic-waisted pleated skirt. It was black and the length was about mid-thigh. I could see all the possible outfits that I could pair with it.

          "Umma, I want this," I raised the skirt, still on the hanger, above all the other skirts so she could see it.

          "It's a little plain, don't you think?" She said as she was slightly shaking her head. She looked at the skirt like it was the most distasteful skirt ever.

          "Not if you have creativity like I do," I smiled at her to reassure her I knew what I was doing.

          We ended up leaving the store with the skirt, a long black and white polka-dotted tank top, and an asymmetric-hem loose fit knit sweater. I was planning on going to get extra accessories from Accessorize. That store has all the cutest accessories, even though all I wear is knit caps.

          As we got in the car, she asked me about our date plans. I told all I knew was that he was going to pick me up at six on Saturday and take me out to dinner.

          "Dinner dates are usually awkward if they're the first dates. Looking at each other in the face and watching each other eating. You know what's a good trick so moments like those aren't awkward?" she said.

          "Umm... no," I said. I didn't even think about what would happen if the date gets awkward.

          "Plan what you're going to say, and what you're going to eat. Works every time. Just think about topics to discuss and how you'll talk about them. I'm not saying thinking of every sentence and breath you're going to make. That's virtually impossible. When we go home and you finish your homework, I want you to come up with an outline about topics you're going to confabulate about it. Araso?" she said. I nodded my head and replied "ye" (예). 

          After I finished my math homework, and finished researching on the topic for my rough draft essay, I started working on the outline my mom told me about. I became worried over what might happen if our conversation do get awkward. Like she said, we would be looking at each other's faces the whole time. The whole "looking at each other's faces" phrase made me take the bus so I could go to the Missha store in Myeong dong and buy a bottle of BB cream.


OMGeezers I did a lot of researching about

Myeong dong district for you guys. I don't mind though,

it's my favorite Seoul district ^^. I was so surprised when I found

out there's a forever21 in Seoul. 

 

I might also be getting a poster soon. I'm so happy hehe ^^

 

I LOVE READERS!!!

I LOVE SUBSCRIBERS AND COMMENT-ERS

EVEN MORE!!!!