Beautiful Melodies

My Lucky Year

We were walking to the furniture store and I try to start up a conversation to the best of my ability. 

"So last night was fun, wasn't it?" 

"Oh yeah it was great. My mom told me that she was really happy to talk to you again. She said she misses seeing you around all the time, and I agreed with her"

"I miss you too" it slipped from me before I could even think about what I had said.

Jonghyun looks at me with kind eyes and a slight smile. 

"I'm glad we're hanging out again. My life hasn't been the same without you, Jinki hyung"

"What do you mean? How?"

"You've just always been so easy to talk to. Around my other friends I kinda have to watch what I say. I haven't even come out to them yet"

"Who else knows?"

"Just you and my ex"

"Thank you for telling me. It really means a lot"

"Thank you for accepting me"

"I guess now it's time for you to accept me. Jonghyun-ah, I'm gay"

"Yeah I know Jinki" This was quite shocking to hear. I'd only ever told Taemin, and he wouldn't tell a soul.

"How?" 

"I've known you your whole life. I pick up on things"

"What kinda things?"

"Ummm things like staring at pictures of boy groups and telling me you wanted to marry them. Hehe other things like never showing interest when guys tried to talk with you about girls"

"Oh...I didn't know I did that"

"Don't worry Jinki, I accept you for you. I wanted you to tell me when you were ready"

He gave me loving puppy eyes and I just had to hug him. We hugged for a few minutes lightly moving our hands across the other's back. He rested his head in the crook of my neck and I pressed him just a bit closer. 

"Thank you, Jonghyun" I whispered into his ear.

"Thank you, Jinki" I didn't ask for what, because I already knew the answer. 

Slowly, we broke apart, but I took his hand in mine. He didn't resist, but just squeezed my hand in response. I squeezed back and we started walking again. 

A few minutes after walking in comfortable silence we arrived to the store. 

"Where are the lamps?" he said in a relaxing tone of voice.

"I think they're over there" I spoke pointing to the lamp aisle.

"This silver one is nice" Jonghun said. I noticed it as also the cheapest one in the row and knew he was just being kind.

"Are you sure? I think that black and white one over there is more your style" I distinguished that one first as we entered the aisle. The lamp was checkered black and white and a shiny black rectangular lamp shade. It would fit perfectly with his room. I was no interior design expert, but I did know Jonghun. And that lamp was his. 

"Oh." is all he spoke, but I could see his eyes brighten and they glazed over the piece of furniture. 

"Let's get it" Normally I would have been more hesitant with my words, but at that moment with Jonghyun I just didn't feel scared about being wrong or saying the wrong thing. Around him everything just seemed to come out right.

We purchased the lamp and started walking back.

"Thank you for the lamp, Jinki hyung"

"Sorry for breaking the original"

"No it's okay I got to do this with you, which was better than some old lamp"

"Being with you is better than anything" I said looking right into his eyes.

We were holding hands again. I moved my thumb across the plane of his hand making lazy circles. He returned my touches with his own as he gradually scanned his thumb over my calloused skin.

"Do you still play the piano?"

"Yes."

"You love it don't you Jinki? It's your passion I can tell"

"How can you tell? Have you even seen me play?"

"Sometimes when I go walking in the neighborhood, if I'm lucky I can hear you playing beautiful melodies. I went walking a lot this summer for that very reason."

"It is my passion. When I play, I can just close my eyes and escape the world. I've recently started composing. It's really  meditative to me. Perhaps one day you could accompany me with your voice. I would really love that... You have the most amazing voice, Jonghyun"

"I would be honored to hyung" We smiled at each other knowing we were going to keep that vow. 

"You don't want to go to medschool do you Jinki?"

"No I don't. I've come to realize I only dreamt of being one as a child because of my parents' influence"

"Don't worry hyung I know you will sort things out. You don't have to become a doctor. Pianists are just as amazing"

"So are singers"

We arrived at his home and placed the lamp on his bedside table. It blended right in, just as I thought.

He asked me to go to his living room and so I followed. He took me to his grand piano and asked me to play. Although his family wasn't rich they did have a love of music and so I knew this piano was a precious possession to Jonghun and his family.

"Are you sure I can?"

"Of course Jinki. Please play something for me"

I hesitantly sat down on the bench and Jonghyun seated himself right next to me. There was just enough room for the two of us.

I brushed my hands against the keys feeling their beauty underneath my touch. I shut my eyes and pressed down on the ivory and heard the sound ring out. I got engulfed in the different pitches overlaying each other and started swaying my head to the rhythm. Suddenly, Jonghyun's voice began blending with the sounds of the piano and it was beautiful. We continued doing this until the last note was played and Jonghyun's voice faded out.

I opened my eyes and took in the most blissful moment of my existance. I turned my head to look at Jonghyun's beautiful features and tilted my head towards his and pressed a kiss to his cheek. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(A/N) Okay this chapter turned out differently than I expected. I was feeling pretty deep today and wasn't really in the mood to right silly clumsy Jinki hehe sorry for those of you who wanted that, you'll get more of it in the future. I really want to build their relationship before anything happens but don't worry things will happen, I promise.  As always please comment, and thank you to all of my subscribers :D