New Project

My Lucky Year

I'm sitting in math class. Or, more like burning up in math class.

Of course Jonghyun is sitting next to me. But he's not just sitting next to me. Our knees are touching, and it feels like fire where mine meets his. I want so badly to just feel more of him, touch more of him and grow the fiery sensation I have to other parts of my body.....But I can't.

I'm still just his childhood friend who grew up to be a lame nerd. I know he's only nice to me because he's to polite to ignore me, but I know he's caught me staring at him more than once. Hopefully he just assumed I was daydreaming but I had a feeling he knew exactly what I was doing. The thought made my stomach turn, fortunately I did not hurl in the middle of math class.

Instead, I got to look, no stare at Jonghyun bend down to pick up someone's fallen pencil. His white dress shirt tightly covered his strong back muscles which showed their defined shape as he bent down having his shirt tighten even more over his lovely back. It took all my self control not to reach my hand out and trace the muscles with my fingers.

Okay, maybe I was a bit today, and Kim Jonghyun was definitely to blame for it.

When he got back up from getting the pencil he sat back in his chair pressing his knee a bit harder into my own only increasing the tingles already going through my body. He also let his hand hang from his chair lightly knocking it into my own. I almost thought for a split second that he was going to hold me hand, but that dream was ruined when I stupidly flinched my hand up and into my lap so no more contact could happen, though I desperately wanted it to. My hand was still burning from the touch that was barely even a tap of our hands.

A second later Jonghyun shot his head up to look at me, probably weirded out by well...my weirdness. I was always awkward around him, but not being able to handle our hands grazing was a bit extreme. I knew it was.

Jonghyun just made me feel things so strong with something so simple. A graze of the hands, a touch of the knees, a whisper to the ear. They all have me that same fiery feeling I was dealing with right now.

I spent the rest of class staring at our knees and not at all paying attention to the lesson.

When it was finally time to walk to second period, Jonghyun walked next to me since we had it together.

"You feeling alright today hyung?" He asked obviously confused by my actions today.

"Yeah just a bit flustered I suppose" it was the best explanation I could make without confessing right then and there.

"What're you so flustered about?"  I should've known he was going to ask that.

"Uhh I don't know exactly....I g-guess our teachers are pretty intimidating this year" Wow Jinki great reasoning. Jonghyun won't suspect a thing.

"Yeah I guess they are stricter than last year" Gosh was he actually playing along with my pathetic excuse? God bless him.

"I heard we're getting a new project in Physics today according to Taemin" I said trying to change the subject.

"What? A new project already? It's only the second day!" He exclaimed with his adorable eyes widening in shock. 

"I know right it's unbelievable. You'd think they'd give us at least a week before assigning anything major." It really was crazy. But I also heard this was a partner project....and project partners are seating partners.....and Jonghyun and I are seating partners......needless to say I wasn't hating this new project. 

When we got to Physics, I was indeed correct. We got a new long term project and Jonghyun and I were partners....hehe could I get anymore lucky this year? I couldn't imagine how. I had waaaay too many opportunities to spend time with Jonghyun and if I mess this up the only thing to blame would be myself. Well maybe not only me to blame. I mean, for all I knew Jonghyun might not even be into guys, he had only ever had one girlfriend and he never told me about his crushes back when we were friends. But hey, I had a chance right? I wasn't even sure what I was going to do. What was my plan? Get him to fall for me? Although that'd be nice I'd like it to happen a bit more naturally than that. I guess for now my plan is to befriend him once again and then from there I can....flirt? I've never flirted before in my entire life so let's hope I'll get some beginner's luck with that. 

Jonghyun and I decided to go to my house after school today to get an early start on the project. Both of us had a tendency to procrastinate so starting today seemed like a good idea. 

After a whole school day of awkward knee touching and not so discreet glances at him, we were walking to my house. It wasn't that awkward....okay so there might've been ten minutes of silence but what was I supposed to do about it? Jonghyun was the social one here and I relied on him to speak up. Sadly he looked to be in his own world and pretty much glanced down at his hands for the majority of the walk. 

When we finally arrived to my home you could slice the awkward tension between us. 

"Umm you wanna go up to my room?" I asked breaking the silence. 

"Sure" he said giving me a tiny grin. 

We discussed the project a bit and started making the outline when Jonghyun asked, "Hey I know this is weird, but my friend Minho wanted me to ask you if your sister is single" 

A chocked on the air and ended up in a coughing fit. I almost thought he was asking me if I was single. Boy was I wrong. After a minute I collected myself together to say "No she's got a boyfriend of two years." 

"Two years? Wow I figured I would've heard about that by now"

"Yeah she's pretty private about it. When she started telling people about him they always just told her that she could do better and that he wasn't good enough for her. Obviously that pissed her off quite a bit so now she only tells people really close to her about him" 

"Oh wow that must . I'd hate to have to keep my boyfriend a secret just to please others. 

Boyfriend? Hmm maybe Jonghyun was into guys? This was just false hope, but it was something. 

"Yeah I've tried to tell her to just forget about everyone else and be open about him, but she insists it's easier this way"

"I don't know, I still feel like she shouldn't care what others say. If she really loves him she should want to show him off, not hide him"

"I agree, but it's her decision"

"Yeah it is"

All I was thinking was that if Ia Jonghyun's boyfriend he was going to show me off...the thought gave me butterflies in my stomach. Being Jonghun's boyfriend...ugh I wished. We weren't even friends now. I needed to get my mind off boyfriends. 

"Hey Jonghyun?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I ask you something....personal?"

"Go for it"

"Why did you and your girlfriend break up? You don't have to answer...it just shocked me when you mentioned it yesterday" So yeah I probably shouldn't have asked but I wanted us to be comfortable with each other again and maybe talking about personal stuff could be a step. 

"Well I came out to her as bi and she couldn't accept it. She called me some pretty nasty things and we broke up" 

"I'm sorry. But she probably wasn't the right person if she couldn't accept you for you" 

"Thanks, Jinki I think so too" 

Okay he was bi that was good news. And wow his ex soundsed like a I was so glad they broke up. Jonghyun deserved someone better than her, even if it wasn't me, just someone better. 

"You deserve someone better" I accidently voiced my thoughts. And quickly covered my mouth with my hand, because I did not want him to hear that. 

"You think so?" he asked looking up at my nervous face.

I quickly nodded not able to speak at the moment. He gave me a toothy grin and went back to the project. I just watched him ruffle his hands through his soft hair. 

Soon after he left to go to home, but fortunately we made plans to meet at his house tomorrow to work more on the project. We agreed a little a day was the right way to handle it. I also agreed to myself that talking to him a little more each day would be the right way to be friends with him once again. 

 

 

 

 

(A/N) This is my first fic aside from a silly oneshot I wrote on a different account so I'm still pretty new to all of this. Comments would make me really happy!! I'm going away for two weeks this weekend but after that I should be updating weekly! Okay well I hope you liked this chapter ;) Have a good day