Good Communication

My Lucky Year

I'd just texted Taeminnie to meet me at the coffee shop after school. He seemed a bit shocked by my request, but agreed nonetheless. I had to wait a full fifteen minutes for the lil , and I was just about to ditch when he finally showed up.

His lips looked a bit bruised and hair a bit ruffled. How interesting.

"Hey, Onew" he said nonchalantly ignoring his apparent tardiness. Classic Taemin. 

"Hi." A bit of silence fell between us, and I could see Taemin start to look up to the ceiling in hopes of relief from the awkwardness.

"So Tae I don't want you to think I'm angry with you or anything, but I asked you to meet me here because I saw you and Minho kissing at school last week" I thought I was too formal. I mean this guy was like my little brother for heaven's sake, I should probably have been a bit warmer with him. I cursed myself mentally hoping I hadn't scared him off.

It was clear he hadn't seen it coming. His hand ran through his blonde hair nervously as his eyes widened and narrowed and then widened again. 

"Uh..." He bit his lower lip obviously not knowing what to do. I'd figured I'd start talking again.

"I just wanna look out for you Taeminnie, I can't have you get hurt" I looked at him genuinly and his eyes locked with mine. I think he knew I saw him like  brother, and a tiny part of me hoped he looked to me as an older one. 

"I....I'll be okay, Onew. I know what I'm doing"

"I mean...have you guys even defined the relationship yet?" A strong part of me said that no, they had not. That this was just something Minho was doing to figure himself out and experiment a bit. And I did not want Taemin to be his lab rat. 

"Well no, but it's only been like two weeks, hyung"

"Tae, have you talked about your feelings at all? You know healthy relationships need that"

"What like you're some relationship expert now because you have a boyfriend"

His words stung. We were rarely harsh to each other outside of a playful setting. 

"Tae, you know that's not true. It's just common knowledge. Good relationships take good communication."

He huffed out a long breath before replying "I'm sorry Onew I didn't mean to snap. But you're kinda pissing me off right now"

"I'm just looking out for you"

"You're acting way to protective of me Onew, I'm my own person too okay? Can't you just be a good friend? I'm trying to be a good friend. I haven't mentioned how you spend like half as much time with me now that you're dating Jonghyun. Hell this is the first time we've talked one on one in over a month!" 

Well that took an unexpected turn. He's right though. I haven't been dividing my time between my best friend and my boyfriend evenly. I definitely got way too caught up in my first relationship and neglected my best friendship. I wasn't afraid to admit my mistakes. 

"You know, you're totally right Taemin. I'll definitely make more time for us from now on okay?"

"Thank you."

"Promise to talk to Minho please. Just clear things up. Talk about coming out, about if this is serious to him, or if it's purely physical. I mean I wasn't gonna mention it, but you two were literally at each other's throats not two weeks ago. Can I ask what the hell happened?" That last part came out a bit too cruel. My patience was starting to wear out a bit. 

"Fine. I'll tell you. We were arguing again, about who the knows what. He put his hands on my shoulders, looked me in the eye. Leaned in and kissed me."

"That's kinda cute" I gave him a small smile. Of course I wasn't completely pleased. Still seemed like Minho was playing him. I'd still be on alert about this whole situation.

"Yeah, I guess it was" He sighed. 

"So will you do what I said?"

"Yeah. I know you're right, I just don't wanna ing admit it"

"That's fair" I nodded. I'd feel nothing different if I was in his position.

Another silence fell. It saddened me quite a bit. Things used to be so easy between us two. I was determined that we'd regain our bond again, just probably not today. 

"Want me to leave you alone?"

He looked at me solemnly nodding his head.

"I'm not mad at you, hyung. Don't worry, we're fine. I just obviously have some things to sort out"  

"I totally understand. Let's hang out soon, okay?" He nodded giving me a hopeful smile. 

As I left the store and I turned around to take a peek. I saw Taemin dial a number on his phone and press it to his ear. I hoped it was who I thought it was.

 

On my walk home, I rang up Jonghyun asking if he was free tonight. Naturally he replied "For you, always" because he was a cheesey little but I loved him for it. Oh. Did I just say I loved him?  I did didn't I? I love Kim Jonghyun. It seemed to roll of the tongue. It gave me ideas of a confession. Perhaps tonight. I wasn't sure. Maybe if the time was right and my gut was strong enough I would. Something bubbled in my stomach thinking about him saying it back. I imagined him to say it quite romantically. Maybe he'd take my hand in his, or cup my cheeks with his hands making me blush. I giggled to myself in the thought of it. 

 

Come over at 7, okay?

 

See you then ;)

 

 

 

 

 

(A/N) Ohh does this count as a cliffhanger? I hope so haha