Best Friend

My Lucky Year

"Jinki come on it won't be that bad. It'll be fun even! Just be optimistic okay?" My boyfriend told me. You see, I'd just gotten a text from Jonghyun informing me that the two of us had been invited to a visit to the beach by...well Taemin and Minho. 

I was shocked to say the least. I hadn't actually talked with Taemin since like last month, when we talked about Minho at that cafe. 

To be fair, it wasn't completely my fault. I had texted and called him a few times, but he would always give me short clipped replies like, "sorry can't talk rn" and "ttyl hyung I have an exam tomorrow" so we never actually got to develop a real conversation. 

I couldn't figure out what was going on in the kid's head, I mean we had left it on pretty decent terms. Yes, I admit they were a little bit awkward but he had told me explicitly that we were good, no worries and well...I was worrying.

And now he had just randomly invited me and my boyfriend to hang out at the beach...? I just couldn't wrap my head around it. 

 

"Okay but Jong, try to see where I'm coming from. We literally haven't talked in a month. A month. We went from best friends to strangers in less than four weeks!"

"Well clearly you're not strangers anymore, or else this invitation would be much much weirder. Jinki hyung listen, I'm sure Taemin has had a little bit of thinking and sorting out to do, and now everything in his life seems to be smoothed out, hence he wants you back into his life. The poor thing's had a lot of complicated stuff to deal with recently, so why don't you cut him a little slack and have some fun with your best friend?"

"Yeah...yeah okay you're right. I know I'm totally overthinking this. Okay let's get going I don't wanna be late"

Jonghyun simply smiled in relief that I finally understood and placed a chaste kiss on my cheek, before taking my hand in his and leading me to his car. 

 

 

"Where do you think they are, Jinki?" An innocent Jonghyun asked me with the most adorable puppy dog eyes. 

"I mean Taemin is pretty much late to everything ever, so..." and as I said that the devil himself came into my line of sight. He looked to be laying down a towel with Minho doing the same to his right. 

I tapped Jonghyun on the shoulder and signaled in the direction of the pair. Jonghyun showed me one of those breathtaking smiles and I had to admit it lightened my mood quite a bit. 

"Hi Tae" I said trying to show as much enthusiasm as I could. I found my smile wasn't as forced as I thought it would be, as I turned my face up to meet his eyes I realized how much I had missed the kid. I missed how his pure brown eyes and pale blonde hair framed his delicate features making him look much younger than he really was.

"Hey Onew I'm so glad you could make it!" He said with probably the most excitement I'd seen on him since he first bought GTA V. 

Tae and me really weren’t big huggers, but I truly couldn't resist when I saw the genuinely content expression on his face. I knew mine was matching exactly, as I opened up my arms and embraced my best friend. His frame felt boney and scrawny in my arms, but I rejoiced in the feeling of being close to him again. 

 

 

 

A little while later, Minho and Jonghyun were playing around in the water, while Taemin and I stayed back to catch up. 

"You know Minho looks a lot taller than I remember him being" I spoke as I watched the two of them jumping around among the waves.

"That's just 'cause he's standing next to Jonghyun" Taemin sneered, and I couldn't help but belt out laughing. I had missed this little bastard's sense of humor.  

"So Onew..." he started clearly setting the tone for something a bit more serious. "I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry for not keeping contact with you for the past few weeks. I know it was totally hypocritical of me considering I was yelling at you for not spending enough time with me and then I go off and...did the same exact thing. Except I was even worse because I actually resisted your attempts at contact." 

Taemin looked so apologetic and truly sorry, I instantly forgave him. Although I let him continue as it seemed that he had a bit of a speech prepared. 

"Anyway, I just want to say I'm sorry. At the time Minho and me had a lot to talk about and I had been kind of mad at you for intruding in on our situation, so I wanted to keep some distance for a while. And yes, I realize now that blocking your best friend out of your life for a reason so dumb as that is stupid. So yeah I made a mistake, but I want to move past thing slump in our friendship. Do you?" He looked up at me with hopeful eyes and bit up and a pout on those ample lips. 

"Of course Taeminnie. I'm already past it. It's okay. We all make mistakes right?" 

"Right hyung" He said softly, looking so thankful and happy it caught me a bit speechless.

 

"So, you think they're getting along?" he asked breaking the serious atmosphere. 

"Most likely. Jonghyun's pretty likeable" I chuckled.

"Well maybe to some people" He snickered.

"Oh shut up, you know you like him" I bellowed slapping him on the shoulder. 

"Alright alright, I admit, he's a bit charming"

"Mhm just a bit" I sneered before taking a drink from my lemonade. 

 

 

"So Taeminnie, can you tell me a little bit about you a Minho?" I asked amiably.

"Fine, fine. What do you wanna know?" He smiled, clearly not actually annoyed.

"Are you officially together?"

"Yes, but not publically. So keep this news to yourself.”

I nodded my head astutely to show the fact of their relationship wouldn't leave my lips.

"So I'm assuming he's not out?" 

"Well he's....yeah I guess you can say that. He told me he's no longer gonna tell people he's straight, if they ask."

"Alright that's a step in the right direction" 

"But we don't really do any coupley stuff in public. This is the most we'll probably do for a while."

"Does that bother you?" I asked.

"Nah not really. I'm not into that lovey-dovey like you and Jong" He shrugged.

I laughed loudly, because it was such a Taemin thing to say and God had I missed him. 

"Wanna go join them in a water? It's getting a bit too hot for comfort"

I then noticed how I was indeed sweating oh so profusely and gladly nodded my head.

And so the four of us had a fun rest of the day splashing water in each other's faces and making light jokes. I found it amazing how Jonghyun and I dropped any angst or tension we felt with Minho. I supposed we could both see it in his face how happy he was with Taemin. The way his eyes gazed towards him at the most random of times, or how he dried him off so intently after the sun had gone down. It was a beautiful thing to see - the start of a new love. 

 

 

 

(A/N) Ayye an update like I promised go me