Chapter 8

Let Me Love You

Taeyeon parked by the side of the road and waited for Sunny. She was looking at her phone checking her e-mails while tapping her fingers on the steering wheel, following the rhythm of the song played over the radio.

She managed to get clearance for an upcoming project and she was in a good mood. It took her weeks to come up with the perfect plan that would benefit the company. This called for a celebration and she wanted her friends to be part of it. Unfortunately, only Sunny was free. Yoona would be in the restaurant but she didn't want to disturb her dinner with her friend.

The car door opened and Taeyeon stopped doing everything altogether and looked up in reflex.

"Hey-" She was about to greet her friend, who bent down to be on eye level with her, but stopped when she caught a glimpse of a figure standing behind. felt dry as she thought of whom that person was or rather, what it was. The figure behind her friend had her head faced down and hair falling over the face. It didn't help that the 'person' was wearing white.

"Taeyeon, what's wrong? Why are you so pale?" The surrounding was dim but Sunny could see that her friend's face was as white as paper.

"T-The…" She stuttered, bringing her index finger up shakily and pointed towards Sunny's back. The latter thought she was just shocked to see Tiffany and shrugged it off.

"I thought you wouldn't mind. She's Min-ho oppa's partner for the photoshoot today."

The figure stepped up to stand beside Sunny and Taeyeon let out the breath she didn't know she was holding in. Tiffany.

"Hi, Taeyeon!" The brunette bent down to wave at her.

"H-Hey..." Taeyeon replied softly, taking deep breaths to regulate her breathing.

"Don't mind if I join the both of you for dinner, right?" She asked with an eye smile.

Damn that eye smile, Taeyeon thought to herself. It brought her back to the party, when she first saw Tiffany and she could feel her cheeks heating up.

"No, of course not. Hop on!"

Tiffany sat in the backseat alone while Sunny was seated beside Taeyeon. The ride was quiet save for the occasional conversations between Sunny and Tiffany. Taeyeon listened and would reply once in a while if she had something to say.

She tried very hard to not glance at the rearview mirror too often to avoid suspicion. Tiffany had her hair tied up in a bun the moment she got on the backseat, and she was wearing a cotton long-sleeved white shirt, with sleeves rolled up to her elbow. She had on a pair of jeans and sneakers. This look was different from what she wore on the party. She looked very youthful in this outfit and Taeyeon liked both sides of her.

At the red light, Taeyeon looked up to the rearview mirror and almost gasped out loud when she had eye contact with Tiffany. The brunette was looking straight at her through the mirror and she almost peed in her pants if not for the smile that was directed at her.

It was that kind of smile that reached Tiffany's eyes and made her heart flutter. She couldn't help but return the smile, focusing on the road once more.

 

---

 

Dinner went by successfully and Taeyeon enjoyed herself very much. She got to know Tiffany better all thanks to Sunny for being the talkative one. Surprisingly the both of them got along well and Sunny would often bring Taeyeon into the conversation.

There were a few things she noticed through this dinner. Like how Tiffany loved medium rare steak and would cut it into bite-sized bits before eating. She was secretly eyeing Tiffany from the corner of her eyes, and took note of every single detail.

She felt like a creep but she couldn't help it. She wanted everything regarding Tiffany etched into her mind. She wanted to be closer to her. It scared Taeyeon how hard she was falling. It was not love, yet, but she could not deny the strong attraction towards the eye-smiling brunette.

Somehow she felt like she was a sinner. What was she doing with Tiffany? That gorgeous woman was taken and had a healthy and stable relationship with her boyfriend. What was she trying to do? Why did she want Tiffany for herself and herself only? Had she gone insane?

"A penny for your thoughts?" A voice brought her out of her trance.

Tiffany was walking alongside her towards the place she parked her car. Sunny still had some errands to take care of in the restaurant so Taeyeon volunteered to send Tiffany home. She wouldn't take no for an answer. Thus here they were, strolling towards the car in silence.

Taeyeon berated herself for not taking the opportunity to talk to Tiffany, who was within an arm's reach. Instead, she unknowingly ignored her.

"Sorry, my mind drifted off elsewhere." Taeyeon paused, contemplating whether she should throw caution to the wind. This was a good opportunity and she was not going to let it slip by. She glanced to her side and saw Tiffany looking down at her shoes while walking.

"D-Do-" Her voice cracked and she muttered a curse under her breath. Just when she mustered up the courage to do what she planned to, her voice had to crack. She cleared and started again, "Um, Tiffany? Do you maybe want to… exchange contact number?"

She dared herself to look up and stared into that mesmerizing pair of eyes. She exhaled softly as she noticed a small smile on Tiffany's lips. That's a good sign, right?

The brunette stopped in her tracks and Taeyeon followed, stopping a step before her. The former held out her hand and Taeyeon looked at her with her head tilted to one side in confusion. What, does she want to hold my hand? Why would she want to hold my hand? Kim Taeyeon get a grip.

"Your phone, Taeyeon." As if reading her thoughts, Tiffany replied with an amused tone, her hand still stretched out.

"O-Oh…" Taeyeon patted her pockets to locate her phone. Suddenly she felt like she lost all intelligence. She eventually found her phone in her coat's pocket and handed it over to Tiffany.

She tapped the screen a few times and handed the phone back to Taeyeon. "What are friends without each other's number, right?"

The latter pocketed her phone and smiled albeit shakily. Friends. Should she be happy that they were finally friends, or should she weep because that's all they would ever be?

 

---

 

"Who was that?" The moment Tiffany stepped into the apartment, she was immediately welcomed by Siwon's interrogative voice. He had his arms folded across his chest and a deep frown etched on his face.

"Hello to you too." She continued taking off her sneakers and placed them into the shoe cabinet. "What do you mean who?"

"Where did you go? Why did you cancel our dinner? And, whose car was that?" Her boyfriend bombarded her with questions at one go.

Tiffany frowned and straightened up when she heard the last question. Was Siwon standing by the window throughout the night to check on her?

"What is going on? What's with the questions?" She started to feel her blood simmering. He sounded like an insecure boyfriend. No, scratch that, he sounded like she was cheating on him! "Are you trying to imply something?"

"You tell me." He challenged her and took a step closer.

"Look, I'm sorry I bailed on you so last minute okay? We could always have dinner some other day." Tiffany took a deep breath and calmed herself down. She was not going to fight with him. Not today, and not for agreeing to dinner with Sunny and Taeyeon.

"Whose.car.was.that." She could see fire in his eyes. His usual soft and loving gaze was gone, replaced by rage. Why was he so frustrated? It was just a dinner. And it wasn’t even with a man, to begin with.

"What is your problem?!" She raised her voice subconsciously. He was starting to act ridiculous and got on her nerves.

"This is what I've been talking about! I hardly have time for you due to the new project, and you're getting more photoshoots. We are back to square one. This was how we were back in the States!"

"Why are you being so insecure all of a sudden?" Tiffany frowned. What happened to him? What triggered this outburst? They had been texting and calling despite not having time to see each other. So he knows what she had been up to and vice versa.

Siwon dropped his arms and slouched, heaving a deep sigh. "Forget it. I'm going to bed. I hope you had fun tonight."

With that he turned around and dragged his feet to the bedroom. She noticed that he went into the guest room instead. What in the world? He doesn't even want to be in the same room as me? Just what the hell happened?!

Tiffany was not one to leave things hanging. She stomped all the way towards the guest room and opened the door roughly. Siwon was already lying in bed prepared to sleep. She went over and flipped the cover to expose his body.

"Out with it. What the hell is going on?!"

He sat up and looked at her with a slight frown. "You really want to know? Why I'm so upset?" The tone was as if he's tired of this argument. He wanted it to end then and there. And Tiffany felt like she shouldn't push him any futher but she needed to know.

“Of course! Tell me what's going on. Why are you like this? What happened?”

Tiffany watched Siwon reach into his sweatpants' pocket and pulled out something- it was gleaming in the dark. It was a ring. A diamond ring.

"I was going to propose to you tonight. At your favorite restaurant."

 

---

 

Oh, don't we all love this kind of cliffhanger? Hahaha! Evil me.

And hello, new subscribers! Nice to meet you. Hope you are all enjoying the story so far. (:

Next update this weekend! Hopefully. Thank you for subscribing and commenting!

-E