Chapter 26

Let Me Love You

As she was fitting her wedding gown, Tiffany didn't look like a bride-to-be. In fact, she looked emotionless, sad even. It seemed like she wasn't the one getting married and she was just testing the gown out for someone else. There was a slight frown, although she kept a small smile on her face.

Siwon was deep in thoughts as he watched Tiffany emerge from the fitting room. Should he force her to marry him since it was obvious she's not keen? Should he just let her go? Would their marriage life thereafter be blissful if he were to hold on? What changed? Her heart, or him? Was it because he spent too much time on work and neglected her so she turned to someone else? Was it because he changed so she no longer loved him like before?

What went wrong with their relationship, exactly? They were fine. Had their feelings faded? 7 years was a long time. If they're not able to go through 7 years, what would the future hold? What would 40, 50 years down the road feel like? Would she be happier with Taeyeon? Was that what she wanted?

"The bride looks stunning! You are one lucky man." The fitting assistant gushed as she helped Tiffany adjust her gown, smoothing out the creases.

"Yes, I am."

Was he really? He looked at Tiffany who was staring at her reflection. He walked and stood alongside her, holding her hand in his. He looked at their reflection through the mirror and no doubt, they looked great together. But what would they be? They didn't look happy. Another couple doing their fitting was all smiles and twirled around to look at their suit and gown respectively. And here they are, looking solemn.

"Let's go for lunch." He took one last look at their reflection and let go of Tiffany’s hand.

Tiffany merely nodded and lifted her gown with the help of Siwon and the assistant. He let go of her gown when she's outside the changing room and watched as she went in. He stared at the closed door silently and heaved a sigh before going into the next room.

Tiffany never had to force a smile for him. He knew how her genuine smile looked like and this was not it. Perhaps he had really made a wrong choice to propose. Perhaps he should have waited a while more. Perhaps... he should let her go.

He knew he had a lot of flaws and Tiffany was always accepting of them. He didn't have much time to accompany her for things she liked or wanted to try. He was always busy with work. His promises turned empty whenever there's a new project given to him. He was not a family man.

And he could already imagine Tiffany raising their kids up alone. She would play with them and cheer them up whenever he couldn't attend any of their school activities... and he didn't like that.

He had tried to change. But his proud self and the workaholic embedded in him wouldn't budge. He would always put work before anything. His dad was like that, and sad to say, like father like son. His father wasn't a family man until recently. And he didn't want Tiffany to feel the loneliness his mother felt.

He knew, since a boy, as he had always seen his mom crying silently in her room. His dad was always not around. He didn't know how his mom managed to survive when he was sent overseas for studies. It must had been hard for her, being alone most of the time with her husband at work and son abroad.

Had he made the wrong judgement? Promising Tiffany things he couldn't give. Even as they were engaged, nothing had changed. Tiffany was still alone most of the time. He should have stayed with her and cheer her up, but he was being a jerk by working overtime, accompanying potential business partners for dinner followed by a few drinks at the bar. And when he's home Tiffany was already asleep. The next morning he left even before she's awake.

What kind of husband would he be? What kind of father would he be? He wasn't sure if he could set a good example for his future kids to follow, since he's flawed. And he wasn't sure if Tiffany could stay with him for a lifetime because if he were in her shoes, he would've dumped himself a long time ago. Was she still with him because of love, or because it had become a habit? It was sort of a natural step for them to be together and eventually get married since they passed the 5-years mark.

He saw how carefree and happy she was with Taeyeon. He saw that sparkle in her eyes although it wasn't obvious. But he knew. He could get Tiffany's body, but not her mind and heart. Maybe, just maybe, this was his retribution for not treating her right. For being too confident that he's the only one for her, thus he paid lesser attention. For underestimating Taeyeon and her love for Tiffany.

To make up for it, he might have to let her go. He had to let her be happy because she's no longer happy with him. The wedding that she looked forward to previously was now on her least favourite list.

 

---

 

Sooyoung was busy preparing dinner as both Tiffany and Taeyeon watched from the bar. The doorbell rang and Sooyoung asked Taeyeon to get the door for her. She was glad that she checked who the person was standing behind the door before she opened it, so she wouldn't seem too shocked to see Siwon. She even had time to take deep breaths.

"Hey," Taeyeon greeted upon opening the door.

Tiffany had been spending a lot of time at Sooyoung's since they were all worried for her wellbeing if she's alone at home. Thus Siwon would drop her at their friend's place before heading to work, and fetch her home after work.

Although Tiffany had cheered up considerably and was in a better mood, they still thought it would be better if someone was with her at all times to keep her occupied. Taeyeon and the others would take turns to show up. They would sometimes visit as a group, sometimes in pairs, sometimes alone. And today was the day for Taeyeon to visit alone since none of her friends were able to make it.

"Hey."

"Um, she's in the kitchen with Sooyoung."

Siwon nodded and stepped in as Taeyeon opened the door wider and took a step to the side. It was kind of awkward since he knew she's interested in his fiancée. But at least Siwon's gaze didn't seem hostile or full of hatred.

He walked to the kitchen without a word after taking off his shoes, to which Taeyeon released the breath she had been holding in.

It's going to be a fun dinner, not.

 

---

 

"Hey Siwon, you're early," commented Sooyoung as she stirred the beancurd soup.

"Wanted to beat the crowd so I left earlier." He walked towards Tiffany and kissed her on the crown of her head. "Hey baby," he whispered.

"Hey." Tiffany smiled.

Siwon raised a brow as he looked at her smile. For the past weeks he wasn't able to see any smile on her face. And this smile looked really genuine and pretty. Was she finally getting out of it? Was his girl finally coming back?

"You had fun today?"

Tiffany nodded her head slightly as her smile widened. "Yeah. Taeyeon took the day off and brought me to places. It was fun."

Ah, Taeyeon. I should've known. Siwon kept the smile on his face as he looked at the happy girl telling him the places they went and what she saw that caught her eye.

"I don't get how it's fun when all they ever did was to go to the museum, the aquarium, and a few other places which were really, really boring." Sooyoung switched off the stove and stood across them, crossing her arms.

Taeyeon watched from where she stood and didn't like that look on Siwon's face. It was like a light bulb went off in his head; that realization why his fiancée was smiling. She didn't want him to think they went on a date or something behind his back, so she felt the need to clarify.

"It's just some places I thought she would like to go to, and some other places we've been to that she liked. Sooyoung kept complaining throughout the day though."

"Yah, don't blame me. I'm the adventurous type, so whatever you planned for the day made me restless."

"But Sooyoung-ah, Taeyeon planned it for me. You were just there to take care of our belongings," Tiffany joked and laughed at her friend's scowl.

Siwon smiled when he heard the laughter coming out from Tiffany. Jealousy aside, he finally saw and understood how great a friend Taeyeon was. All of them were so nice and understanding towards Tiffany. She's a keeper, all of them were.

 

---

 

"Urgh, finally we're done," Taeyeon groaned as she stretched, cracking some joints while she's at it.

Suzy came over to her place as they had unfinished work and didn't wish to stay in the office any longer. Another minute in that place and they would go crazy. Taeyeon suggested her place since it was nearer to the office, and she could send Suzy home after they've completed their work.

Unfortunately it took longer than usual and dinner time was almost over, so they decided to order take-away before the restaurants close shop for the day.

"Go wash up, I'll order dinner. Is pork soup okay with you?"

"Yes, please. I have some take-away menu stuck on my fridge, just choose whichever you want."

Suzy hummed in acknowledgement as Taeyeon dragged her feet into her room.  She was mega sleepy and hoped that a cold shower would perk her up.

While Taeyeon was in the shower, Suzy ordered dinner then cleared the table. She carefully shut their laptops and placed them into the respective laptop bags. Once done, she flopped down onto the couch and switched on the television, watching the variety show as she waited for Taeyeon to come out from the shower.

They didn't have time to hangout as often as before, thanks to the increased workload as one of their colleague resigned. Taeyeon had been spending more time on her phone lately, too. She suspected it had to do with the phone call she received when they were out the other day. Their physical contact had reduced significantly but she tried her best not to think too much of it. They weren't girlfriends in the first place

"A penny for your thoughts?" Taeyeon sat beside Suzy, in her pajamas and with a towel in her hand as she dried her hair.

"Nah, just thinking about work."

"Workaholic! We've been working for more than 12 hours straight and you're still thinking of work? You should rest your brain."

"I know, I know. Yah, your hair's too wet! You should dry it thoroughly if not you'll catch a cold!" Suzy reprimanded and snatched the towel from Taeyeon and took over the task. Taeyeon's hair was dripping with water and it was making her shirt wet.

Taeyeon was taken aback by Suzy's action but said nothing as the latter patted her hair dry. She let her do her thing as she sat, facing the TV. She could feel Suzy's gaze on her as she pretended to focus on the variety show.

She had to be careful towards the way she treat Suzy. She knew she had already given her false hope, but didn't want to be honest with the latter with regards to her true feelings. Knowing she was the cause of someone's unhappiness was her least favourite thing to do. What had she gotten herself into? It seemed like she was stuck and couldn't move forward or backward.

 

---

 

Siwon brought her out for dinner and she was pleasantly surprised since it was his busy period. When she asked him what the occasion was, he only smiled and said he felt like it. It was weird, but Tiffany was not going to complain.

He brought her to Wolfgang's Steakhouse, and she almost winced at the recollection of what happened here. But she was not going to let that dampen her mood.

They ordered and ate in silence, with the occasional comments on their food. Tiffany felt comfortable and relaxed. This was her kind of date.

The dessert came shortly after and Tiffany savoured the cake like it was the best thing in the world. Siwon looked at her and smiled, finding the view cute. How Tiffany smacked her lips after every bite and how she the corner of her lips to get rid of the chocolate stain. It might be his last time looking at Tiffany's adorable way of eating.

"Let's call off the engagement," said Siwon just as Tiffany finished her cake.

Tiffany's head shot up after the words left Siwon's mouth. Did she hear right? Did he just say what she heard?

"W-wh-what?" She asked, agape.

"I said," Siwon paused and exhaled, "let's call off the engagement."

"WHY?! I-I... why?"

Siwon held her hand on the table and caressed the back of her hand with his thumb. "I think you know why. You're not happy."

Tiffany looked at him, confused and too shocked to react. What was happening? Weren't they having a good time just now?

"I know my parents' demands and wishes, Tiff. But I don't want you to live miserably and do things you don't like."

Tears clouded her eyes as she bit on her lower lip to prevent herself from crying. She somehow felt relieved that Siwon knew. It was getting difficult to pretend everything was alright when it's not. It was difficult to pretend that she wanted this as much as Siwon and his parents.

"I don't want you to force yourself into this. You're not comfortable with that idea, I know," he continued, giving her hand a light squeeze.

"I-I'll grow to-"

"No, don't say such things. You won't be happy if that were to happen." Siwon said sternly. It hurt him to see her like this. She would rather sacrifice her happiness for the benefit of others. This made him confirm what he planned to do was the right thing. He needed to set her free.

That shut Tiffany up. Siwon was right. She wouldn't be happy. Heck, she wasn't even happy now and it was before marriage. Before the baby, before all the responsibilities that comes after being legally bound to Siwon.

"Hey," Siwon called out gently, "and you can finally be you for real." He had tears in his eyes but his gaze was soft.

"Real?"

"Yes, real. I know, Tiff. I know."

She never liked the words 'I know'. It made people seem like a smartass when in actual fact they know nothing. It was just an expression to empathize with someone, or to pretend they know everything. However, she knew exactly what Siwon meant by that. He knew.

"When?" She whispered shakily as tears continued running down her face.

"I had my doubts for a while. I knew how she felt for you, definitely. So I tried to get you to spend less time with her, and you did -which I'm thankful for- but I underestimated the bond you have, eh? Even after not seeing each other, the feeling is still there. And perhaps even stronger than before, especially after the whole marriage thing. You'll be happier with her. I've seen how happy you were. And before you apologize or say anything... no, you didn't cheat on me. It was nothing like that, okay? And I know I've neglected you a lot over the years and I'm grateful you stayed with me throughout the years. So now I'm letting you go. Go get your happiness."

Tiffany was still speechless as she stared at Siwon as if he had two heads. Was this a joke? It's not April Fool's. Was Siwon out of his mind? Highly likely.

Siwon exhaled loudly and chuckled, shaking his head. "Whew, that was like making a presentation. Feels so much better to let it all out."

He wiped the tears accumulated in his eyes and leaned forward to do the same for Tiffany, wiping the tears on her cheeks.

"The best way to love you is not to hinder you, but to let you soar. And I'm doing just that. Your happiness is no longer with me and it's pointless to tie you down. So go, Tiff, go find your happiness."

 

---

 

After the confrontation with Siwon, Tiffany wandered around aimlessly. She wasn't expecting this to happen. This shouldn't have happened. She thought she was careful to not show her thoughts and feelings too much. She thought she could pretend or to lie her way through but Siwon saw through her.

She ended up at Taeyeon's neighbourhood and stopped at her place unknowingly. Her 7-years long relationship just ended and subconsciously she was thinking of Taeyeon? What was wrong with her? Wasn't this similar to cheating?

She stepped into the building and smiled at the security guard before proceeding to the lift. The guard knew her since she had been at Taeyeon's place for a considerable number of times previously.

She stood outside Taeyeon's door, unsure if she should ring the doorbell. Her hand reacted faster than her brain and pressed the doorbell, and waited albeit nervously. What was she going to say? What if she's not home? What was she doing here in the first place? She was playing with her fingers and looked up when the door opened, revealing the person she was looking for.

Taeyeon opened the door hastily and her smile faded off instantly. What was Tiffany doing here? She thought it was her dinner delivery so she didn't bother checking who stood behind the door. If she had known...

Tiffany saw the change of expression on Taeyeon's face and gulped. It was harder than she thought, coming here without knowing what she should do or say. Just when Tiffany wanted to say something, she heard another female's voice coming from behind Taeyeon.

"Taeyeon-ah! Is it the delivery guy? Hurry! I'm hungry!"

Tiffany stiffened as she in a deep breath through her parted lips. Who was that? Was it the girl she saw at Wolfgang? What was she doing here? The way she called Taeyeon was like as if they're really close. Are they dating?

Tiffany's heart skipped a beat and she cringed. It was like a double blow. She had really come at a wrong time, she shouldn't be here. She averted her eyes to the ground and stared at Taeyeon's feet. Now that she realized, Taeyeon was wearing her pajamas. Was the girl going to stay over? Taeyeon seemed really carefree with her. The only time Tiffany saw her in pajamas was when she visited Taeyeon who caught a cold.

Taeyeon continued staring at Tiffany, ignoring Suzy. What was Tiffany doing here? She seemed to want to say something until Suzy spoke. It seemed like she was uneasy, judging by the way she fidgeted. Could it be... nah, it's not possible. Did something happen? It wasn't like Tiffany to drop by unannounced.

Before she could ask, Tiffany muttered an apology and rushed to the lift.

"Fany!" Taeyeon shouted for her and dashed forward to hold her back, but she tripped and fell face down as her foot got stuck in the rug.

"Aish!" She cursed under her breath as she helplessly watched Tiffany rush off. She stood up as quickly as possible, ignoring the sting on her wrists and knees, and ran with all her might towards the lift. She almost tripped again thanks to her clumsiness, and spent a few precious seconds trying to get her balance back.

She saw the digits going down and she knew she wouldn't be able to catch up with Tiffany even if she were to run down the stairs. In addition, she wasn't even appropriately dressed to head down to the lobby.

She sighed and punched the wall before turning around to head back to her apartment, but stopped in her tracks when she saw Suzy standing there, looking at her.

She inwardly sighed and walked towards the girl, taking note of the latter's facial expression. There was no way she could read Suzy's thoughts or what she felt right now, but she was hoping to at least see anger on her face or in her eyes. It would at least make her feel a tad better. She felt the need to explain but she wasn't sure where to start. Her actions were obvious enough.

They said nothing and headed back to the apartment together, and resumed their previous positions, allowing the movie to continue with none of the two paying any attention to it.

Taeyeon was lost in her thoughts, and she could only think of Tiffany. That look on her face when she heard Suzy's voice, that dejected slump of her shoulders, what did they mean? Was she disgusted that Taeyeon might potentially be dating a woman, or she was glad that the attraction had shifted to someone else?

"So that's Tiffany?" Suzy asked, breaking the silence. She had heard of Tiffany's name a few times when she met up with Taeyeon's friends. But Taeyeon had hardly mentioned her name whenever they were out. She thought Tiffany was just an acquaintance, and not part of their small group. But it seemed like she was something more than that.

"Yes, that's her." Taeyeon replied softly, staring at her open palms. She had light scratches on both the heel of her palms and her knees but her thoughts were everywhere, and it was seriously the last thing on her mind.

"Taeyeon-ah, look at me."

She looked up to see Suzy's serious expression and gulped. She's going to ask. What do I do?

"No one knows you better than your heart. Follow it and you'll eventually be happy. The person you kept in your heart is Tiffany, right? Why don't you go for it?"

"I-She... it's complicated."

"Don't take this the wrong way but Taeyeon-ah, if you're this indecisive, I don't think I can stay and continue being like this with you."

"I understand," Taeyeon whispered as she stared down at her hands again, "I'm sorry."

She knew what Suzy meant. She couldn't wait for her if she can't make up her mind on who she wanted. The answer was out in the open, actually. It had always been Tiffany. 

Suzy sighed and stood up, taking one last look at Taeyeon before keeping her things. She shouldered her bag and walked out of Taeyeon's apartment. Who knows it might be the last time she step foot into that place? If Taeyeon's heart was already occupied, she's not going to continue staying by her side in hopes of Taeyeon changing her mind one day. It was a waste of time, she felt.

She saw the look on Taeyeon's face when Tiffany left her apartment. All of a sudden everything clicked. She knew then and there she had lost to Tiffany. Maybe she wasn't in the competition from the start. It hurt, but at least they have yet to go beyond friends which made things a little less complicated.

 

---

 

Yes, I'm afraid I chose an easy way out. I think at times it's quite obvious when your other half doensn't feel the same anymore. Taeyeon aside, I think this relationship will be very taxing on Tiffany to continue being in it.

If she were to marry Siwon, she'll have to conceive through another woman's egg, which isn't what she wanted at all. In a way she'll have to force herself and it won't be a healthy relationship. She'd be in an emotional turmoil most of the time and I bet Siwon won't want to go back home after a long day at work to find a grumpy wife. Imagine going through that for the rest of his life.

Siwon loves Tiffany, no doubt. I don't think I need to elaborate on that. And it's true he's not willing to give everything up for Tiffany. And when the person you love doesn't seem happy being with you anymore, the right thing to do is not to hold on but let go. Let her find her happiness elsewhere. Tiffany's happiness was Siwon, but not anymore. It's not an easy step for Siwon, but being the man he had to it up.

It wasn't my intention to portray him as a jerk in the first place. He's just a man who wants to protect his woman and his relationship. Although he could've used a better way. And before he proposed he should've thought through it carefully. Rather than dropping the bomb out of nowhere. He wasn't prepared. Like I mentioned, it was such a logical step to take, considering how long they were together. But since he was caught between his parents and Tiffany, and since things between him and Tiffany changed, he chose his parents eventually. He would've fought for Tiffany, but it would be pointless if her heart's no longer with him.

 

Anyway, here's the update as promised. Didn't want to split into two chapers so I merged them into one. ^^

By the way... https://youtu.be/YGjoq9ybAMM If you haven't watch Girls' Generation Party M/V teaser...

As always, thanks for the comments and subs!

-E