Chapter 30

Let Me Love You

Tiffany was laughing at Taeyeon's failed attempt at making pancakes when she spotted her father from the corner of her eyes.

"Morning Daddy," greeted Tiffany as Mr Hwang sat down on the dining table.

"Good morning, Sir, would you like some pancakes?"

Mr Hwang sniffed and smelled the burnt smell lingering in the air and huffed, reaching out for the white bread and peanut butter on the table. He ignored the glare of his daughter as he slowly spreaded the peanut butter on his bread.

Taeyeon reached out and placed her hand on Tiffany's arm, slowly shaking her head to stop her from overreacting. For the past two days, she stuck to Tiffany like glue, accompanying her to work whenever possible. She had to make the rest of this trip count. However, it was already day three and Mr Hwang still seemed to dislike her for some reason.

If he disliked her as Tiffany's friend, how would he react if she were to become his daughter's girlfriend? What was she going to do? It was like he knew Taeyeon was someone who could potentially take his daughter away. Fathers don't usually react this way towards his daughter's female friend, right?

Tiffany rolled her eyes and puffed up her cheeks. She had to talk to her father soon. He  had been treating Taeyeon like she was invisible, ignoring her questions, offers and small talks. They could be watching a football match together but her dad kept to himself, which was something unusual. He would usually talk about the game to the person beside, no matter who he or she was.

Taeyeon always had a small smile on her face despite the rejection, and she would keep trying to get a favorable response from Tiffany's father. She knew it was hard for the blonde to be constantly treated as if she wasn't there.

Her father had to understand that it was rude of him. It's not like Taeyeon did anything wrong. Furthermore, he would have to accept Taeyeon eventually so why not now?

 

---

 

"I'll call you tomorrow, alright?"

Tiffany wanted to send Taeyeon back to the hotel before coming home but got rejected by the blonde immediately. She insisted on sending Tiffany home even though the latter was capable of going home herself.

"Okay, be safe on your way back to the hotel. Text me once you're there."

Taeyeon squeezed their interlocked hands and pulled away slowly. She wanted to kiss Tiffany's cheek for the great date tonight, but remembered she was not alone. Her father might be somewhere in the house, probably behind this door for all she know.

"I will, go on now."

Tiffany smiled, leaned forward and placed a quick kiss on Taeyeon's cheek. "I had a great night." She blushed and ran back into her house, slamming the door shut.

Taeyeon stood rooted to the ground, a silly grin slowly formed on her face as she touched her cheek. She could still feel the softness of Tiffany's lips. It was a little sticky because of the glossy lip balm the dark-haired girl had on.

She started punching the air with both her fists, and jumping around on Tiffany's porch. She skipped all the way back to the cab, ignoring the weird stare the driver gave her.

"To the hotel, please."

She looked out of the window, the grin still on her face. She had 3 days left to convince Tiffany that she'd be better off with her in Korea, and also to get Mr Hwang to accept her. She had to step up her game now that there's not much time left.

"That chick your girl?"

The cab driver suddenly asked, looking at Taeyeon through the rear mirror. With limited vocabulary and understanding of the language, Taeyeon could only reply with what she knew.

"Yes."

"Pretty. You're lucky."

"Thanks."

It felt great to call Tiffany her girl. Mine and mine only.

 

---

 

Mr Hwang turned to the front door as he heard the door slammed shut. His daughter had her back to the door, her hands on her chest. He almost went over to ask if she was alright, but the smile on her face stopped him.

For a split second he thought his late wife came back. The smile on his daughter's face was identical to that of her late mother's. That happiness it radiated was blinding. That Korean girl has that kind of effect on her?

Tiffany soothed her erratic heartbeat and took deep breaths. She felt like a high school girl all over again, getting nervous and shy at kissing her date after a nice dinner.

She felt someone looking at her so she glanced up to see her father sitting on the couch, looking at her with an unreadable expression. It was between adoration and realization, and something more.

"Daddy, you had dinner?" She flopped down beside him and brought her hair to her right shoulder, exposing her neck.

"Yes. You had a good date?"

She smiled and nodded her head. "Enjoyed it."

"Tell me more about Taeyeon."

Tiffany wiped the smile off her face at the unexpected request. "What?"

"Well, I would need to know her better before I can start to like her right?"

"Yes."

"So fire away."

"She..." Tiffany paused to collect her thoughts. Where should she start? There was so much to say.

"She's an orphan. She grew up in an orphanage and the Sister who took care of her died when she was just a high school student. She started working part-time and moved out when she was of legal age."

"She had a scholarship to pursue her studies further so she went to college. She doesn't have many friends, but she treats them well like they’re her family. Although she went through a lot of hardships, she was still able to smile and embrace every day with joy."

"She once told me whenever she felt lonely or frustrated with life, she would think of the less fortunate ones. She was lucky to be given the opportunity to go to college, whereas her peers back in the orphanage were not so lucky. Most of them are working as baristas or waitresses, some earning only a fraction of her salary."

"She's a really nice person, Daddy. She gives her all to whatever she does. You have to interact with her to know she's a keeper." Tiffany ended her speech. Hopefully it was enough to make her father like her.

"What about the two of you? How and when did you start?"

"We... we're not... yet. I mean, we're just friends." Tiffany started stuttering. She didn't expect her father to be so straightforward.

"Oh?" Mr Hwang was surprised. He thought they were already an item, judging by the way they behaved around each other.

"She has yet to ask. And you weren't exactly friendly to her when she was here. She's leaving in 3 days' time and... I honestly don't know."

"You like her?"

"Of course."

"Is she a rebound?"

"What?! No!" Tiffany screamed, making Mr Hwang wince in pain. He almost forgot his daughter was as loud.

"So she's not the cause of your breakup? She had nothing to do with it?"

"No." Tiffany took a deep breath and exhaled, her shoulders slouched as a result. "Daddy, I have something to tell you."

"That doesn't sound like good news."

"I- Siwon and I broke up because his parents wanted grandkids and I can't deliver. Because I'm infertile. I'll have to use another woman's egg to conceive."

"Wha-"

"Sorry for keeping it from you for so long. I didn't know how I should broach this subject." Tiffany's voice shook towards the end of the sentence as she felt her heart aching again. It was still a subject that she refused to touch, but she had to.

Mr Hwang was shocked at the revelation. It was unexpected and he was at a loss of words. Amongst all of the possible reasons, this was not what he had in mind. He thought it was along the lines of 'oh, we fell out of love with each other' or 'I don't love him anymore', never 'because I can't conceive'.

That probably strained their relationship. He could understand where Siwon's parents were coming from, and Siwon's stand, as well as Tiffany's dilemma.

She probably didn't love him as much. If she did, she would've agreed to it even if the kid didn't have her DNA. If she was really keen on starting a family with Siwon, she would've done anything she could to achieve that. So he should be glad his daughter didn't force herself to stay although it hurt her either way.

Tiffany was weeping silently when she felt her father's arms around her, holding her tight. She snuggled into his embrace, putting all her weight onto him. It was difficult to admit of her infertility, but she was glad she managed to get it out.

 

---

 

"Taeyeon?"

She shot up from where she was seated on the dining table and wiped her lips with the back of her hand to make sure there were no cereal crumbs. Damn, Tiffany said Mr Hwang was out.

She was alone in Tiffany's place as the latter had gone out to settle some work stuff. They were supposed to head out for breakfast but Tiffany received a last minute notice. Taeyeon offered to tag along but she told her to stay put, and she'll be back soon. Well, look at this. Is it my doomsday already? I love you, Tiffany Hwang Miyoung.

"Y-yes, Sir?"

"Relax, sit down."

Mr Hwang came towards her and sat down, patting the chair beside him, gesturing her to sit beside him.

She bowed and sat beside him, all rigid and nervous. Come to think of it, it was the first time he addressed her using her name. That's a good sign, right? Or he was just trying to lessen the pain?

She was facing the kitchen counter while he was seated, facing her. She could feel beads of cold sweat forming on her forehead. Damn it, she wasn't even this nervous when she had to pitch a million-dollar proposal.

"I want to apologize."

She turned her head towards Mr Hwang so quickly that she might break her neck. She stared, wide-eyed at the man sitting infront of her. Did he just...?

"Miyoung told me what happened last night. And I'm sorry for judging. I thought she broke off with Siwon because of you, because she fell for you."

It was impossible for her eyes to get any wider but she managed to do it. Bet she looked like a goldfish now.

"Wh-wha..."

"I know, Taeyeon. I knew the moment you came here. They call it a parent's instinct."

Mr Hwang chuckled at the hilarious expression of the poor girl. Even after all the he had thrown to her for the past four days, she managed to stay, and it was really clear where she stood in his daughter's heart. They were basically inseparable unless Tiffany had to work and Taeyeon wasn't allowed to follow. Like now.

"Sir, I-"

Mr Hwang held out a hand to stop her from going further. "Let me finish, first."

She nodded her head and shut . She was not going to defy him.

"Because she is my only child, the only child her mother gave birth to before she passed on. So I'm really protective of her. You could say that she's my princess, my life. So what you saw for the past 4 days was what her suitors would face. And that included Siwon."

She grimaced at that name. Was this it? Was he going to say that she's not worthy of his daughter? That ultimately, he would still choose Siwon over her? Well, that's predictable. She could almost feel tears surging up her eyes.

"And he passed, he passed with flying colours actually. He was the man for Miyoung, I was so sure of it. 6 months into dating and I knew they were going to stick together for this lifetime. He was really a gentleman, really caring and he loves football too. Finally someone who could watch matches with, you get me?"

Taeyeon looked down at her opened palms and nodded, albeit weakly. The more he told her about Siwon, the more insignificant she felt. Siwon was really the man for Tiffany. He had the looks, the money, the ability, capability, and most importantly, her dad adored him. Whereas for her...

"But some things aren't meant to be. When Miyoung came back and told me about their breakup I was upset, furious even. 7 years, 7 years of relationship. She said it was a mutual breakup and didn't mention anything else. So when you showed up, I thought you were the cause and she was just trying to hide it from me. So I apologize, Taeyeon, for giving you hell without knowing what happened exactly."

She looked up to that pair of apologetic eyes and that movement made her tears roll down her face.

Mr Hwang panicked at the crying girl infront of him. What did he do? He was just trying to apologize for his behavior.

"Oh my... why are you crying? I-I... why are you crying? Shh, stop. It's okay. I'm not scolding you so stop crying, please."

The more he told her to not cry, the harder she cried. She felt as if she was about to participate in the competition but got disqualified even before she stepped onto the tracks. Her hands felt really empty all of a sudden. It was like something slipped off her hands, and she couldn't grab onto it no matter how hard she tried. This was it, she could probably cut short her stay in LA, then brawl her eyes out the moment she reached home.

Mr Hwang was at loss of what he should do. Should Tiffany come back now and saw Taeyeon crying, he'd be in deep . He did what his instincts told him to- he went over and hugged Taeyeon lightly, patting her back to soothe her.

"Shh, stop crying. It's okay." He repeated over and over again.

"So this is it? I don't get a chance? But I want to fight for her. I know I can give her happiness. I know- I can. I love her, Sir, I really do." She clutched onto Mr Hwang's shirt as she confessed her love for his daughter amidst crying.

"What was it?"

Now he is confused. Why was she suddenly telling him this?

"Me and Tiffany. You're not going to allow me to date her."

"What? When did I say that?"

She looked up from his shoulder and frowned. "You started telling me how great Siwon is. Wasn't that to make me realize I'm not the one for Tiffany? That I'm not worthy of her?"

"What?" Mr Hwang laughed. "Where did that come from?"

"I thought..."

"She was right when she said you think too much at times and complicate things."

He knocked her head lightly with his knuckles and let go of the messy girl, and walked towards the kitchen counter to grab a piece of napkin for her.

"Wipe your face. You're so messy. If Miyoung comes back she'll think that I bullied you."

She blushed and grabbed the napkin before cleaning her face with it. So all along she had gotten the wrong idea? He was not going to oppose? Does this mean he's going to allow them to date?

"Sir..." She called out softly.

"Hm?"

"So you're going to allow us to date? You're going to allow me to pursue your daughter?"

He looked at that hopeful expression of Taeyeon and he couldn't reject her. After the talk with his daughter last night, he knew Taeyeon better. The hardships she had been through, the heartbreaks and all.

He was glad someone like this was going to be with his daughter when he passes in the future. Strangely, he felt that Taeyeon had this sense of security although she's petite and soft-spoken. So who was he to say no? As long as his daughter was happy and was in good hands.

"Yes, you have my permission."

 

---

 

This chapter may not be much, but it kind of just came to me as I was on my way to work. XD Sorry if there were mistakes.

The date beside the chapter number just tells you when the chapter was posted. Thought it might be useful if I were to go missing for a week or two. XD

Hello, new readers/subscribers/commenters. Thank you all! ^^

-E