Six (Me and My Five-Day Boyfriend)

Complete
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

DAY FIVE: End of Contract




I sat up trying to focus on the book that I have been reading for the past minutes. I hate being so distracted early in the morning and I even took a shower just to wash away the uncomfortable feeling, but to no avail. I tried to collect my thoughts about last night but decided not to dwell on it much. 

It didn't mean anything, right? It's just something that maybe he wanted to do with his real girlfriend if he has one. Maybe he just missed having one so he did that. Besides, we agreed to do what couples do and holding hands is one of them so it actually doesn't mean anything. 

Sigh.

I closed the book and laid it beside me. That was one of the most beautiful night I have ever had. Not because of anything else, but the weather was perfect and the night sky was so clear. I always wanted to go star gazing, and he gave me that perfect moment to just sit there, watch the sky, taste the evening breeze and feel the world around me.

So far, I have been satisfied with the experience. He just became a companion for those things that I would never thought of doing with anybody else. Perhaps, his mission was a success. The four days was a success.

Four days. Four days never been so short.

Sigh.

Come Monday everything will be back to normal. No more him to see after school. No more unanticipated event to deal with. No more listening to that radio show. No more goguma latte...

Sigh.

The train of thought was interrupted by the ringing of my phone. Yoona again.

“It's still early, I'm in no mood to spazz with you ab--”

“Oh sorry, but good morning to you too...”

Oh-uh. His voice vibrated in my ears, “Oppa? Sorry, I thought you’re Yoona.”

He chuckled on the other end, “Seohyun doesn't sound in a good mood this morning...”

“Aniyo...” oh! It's embarrassing! “It's just that she usually bothers me with nonsense early in the morning...”

“I hope I'm not bothering you...”

“Oh no,” I grinned, settling comfortably on my bed thinking which I prefer better, talking to him on the phone or otherwise. “You're not Yoona.”

“So, I thought. Anyway, I'm outside your apartment.”

“Ne?”

“I'm on the car park right in front of your house. Can you come out? I’m sorry if I’m too early…”

Ottoke?!

“It’s okay. Can you give me a few minutes before I go down?”

“Yeah sure... I’ll be waiting for you...”

“Oh, okay... thank you...” I remained seated for a short moment after the call trying to figure out what to wear. Oh my god! I stood and walked to my closet, like when did I start caring for what I wear?

I decided to go for my knee-length denim romper and a baby pink tank. I tied my half-damp hair into a ponytail and put on my pink chucks. After putting on some light blush and lip gloss, I grabbed my purse and deposited my phone inside.

“Mom! I'm going out!” I chimed as I ran downstairs.

“Seo Ju Hyun,” she met me by the kitchen with a spatula in hand, “Seems like having a boyfriend is not a good idea after all...”

I pouted then smiled sweetly, “Umma...”

“Oh don't do that! Don't give me that look!” she pushed me gently, “You went home late last night and you're going out early in the morning? On a Sunday?”

“I won't be long, I promise...” I laced my arms on hers, “besides, this is the fifth day, I'm just getting this done...”

“Hmmm? Are you sure?” She said with that glitter in her eyes.

“Of course!” I grumbled, “So can I go now? Besides, he’s waiting outside--” oopps, I shouldn’t have said that.

“Really?” She has that surprised look on her face then continued, “I will let you go if you invite him for breakfast since you haven’t eaten yet.”

“Mom!!!!”

“Then go back to your room! Just because you are in college now, you won't listen to your mother anymore!”

I rolled my eyes. She can be a drama queen sometimes, “I told you, stop watching those sappy TV dramas...”

“Seohyun, don’t push your luck too much. I'm not joking with you...” she glared so I just nodded.

“Okay, fine... I'll ask him to come up but please, Mom, don't overreact, he will be my ex-boyfriend tomorrow.” I planted a kiss on her cheek then hurried out to meet my future ex-boyfriend.

I was literally running out since I hate the feeling of letting others wait for me. I pushed the door open and found him sitting on the railings at the other side of the road. He waved with a silent smile.

I don't know but I was totally breathless seeing him there with his faded jeans and thick jacket. He looked unexpectedly feverish as he hopped down on his seat and placed his hands on his pockets. I crossed the street without letting my eyes off him because I could sense something from his eyes; he looked tired—almost jaded. 

His face finally lit up when I walked towards him.

“Good morning...” 

“Good morning...” I answered and chuckled when he was trying to suppress a laugh, “Waeyo?”

“Nothing…” he cleared his throat, “I’m just happy to see you…”

“Kamsahamnida…” I managed to just nod and he laughed. Why did I even say that?

“Uhmmmm, are you ready?”

“Uh, have you eaten breakfast?”

“Not yet, are you gonna buy me one?” He grinned.

“No, my mom told me to bring you home.”

“Chincha?” his eyes widened as if unsure of what I said, “I’m meeting your mom?”

“I’m afraid so… I mean, if you want to…”

“Of course!”

“Are you sure?” Because I am not. I did not say the last phrase but it was enough to make him chuckle.

“Yes, I would love to meet her,” he uttered with conviction. Uh-oh.

“Okay…” I managed to smile, “Let’s go?”

~~~

My mom was all smiles when I introduced him to her. I looked at him apologetically when she was starting to fuss over him asking too many questions at the same time. My mom is like that when she gets excited. Some people say I take more from my dad since I'm a lot calmer. I wouldn't know.

“So Yong Hwa-ssi, I hope my Seohyun isn't giving you a hard time.”

“Oh no, Ma'am. She's been very nice.”

“Oh... so what's your plan now? I mean, are you two finally doing it for real?”

“Umma!”

“De?”

We blurted out at the same time. My mom, really... “I'm so sorry but she's a joker...”

“Ahhh... yeah...” 

He managed to sigh but was obviously sweaty so I glared secretly at my mom.

“Anyway, if you decide that you would want to be my daughter's boyfriend then do it properly.”

“Mother, please!” I whined as he seemed to be as tensed as I was with what my mom was saying, “We just did this for the radio contest. Besides, I'm sure I am not Oppa's ideal girl.”

“Really?” She dropped her chopsticks and waited for him to answer then glowered at me when I was about to answer for him again.

“I don't have any, Ma'am.”

“Oh! Just like Seohyun! You match each other well!” She clasped her hands together.

All I could do was to sigh heavily that Yong Hwa Oppa turned to me with a sorry look since he could feel how burdened I was. We were sitting beside each other as mom was on the opposite corner of the table so we were both tensed with my mom's smart comments. Finally, she excused herself to take her medicines, so I turned to look at him, “I'm sorry, she's a bit to ecstatic to meet you...”

“So I've noticed,” he chuckled as we continued whispering, “But she is nice and she cooks well...”

“Oh tell her that. She will definitely love you.”

“Really?”

I nodded as my mom walked back to the kitchen. Then, he stood thanking her for the delicious breakfast and of course she was totally delighted. She excused herself again to go to the kitchen as Oppa and I cleared the table. I took the dishes from him and asked him to wait for me by the living room.

My mom was still quiet though she knew I was in the kitchen so I leaned beside the sink as I watched her dry the dishes.

“What? Go back to your boyfriend…” she finally turned to me.

“Hmmm... later. So…”

“So?”

“What do you think of him?”

“Huh? Would it matter, Seohyunie? You said you’re going to part today. Don’t tell me…”

“Aniyo! It’s just that you’re acting weird not giving your opinion about him.”

“Ahhh… he looked like a good boy and a good person and I would be relieved and give him my trust if he would really be your boyfriend.”

“Umma!” I grumbled.

“But isn’t that what you want to hear?” She smiled, “Seriously, I think he’s okay. I don’t know Ju Hyun, there’s just something about him that makes me feel a little uncomfortable.”

“Really? What is it?”

“I don’t know I just can’t explain.”

“Aigoo, you and your instinct again, mom,” I hugged her from behind, “Don’t worry.”

“Yes, I guess I'm worrying now,” she said as she put her hands on my bottom and patted me softly, “Maybe this is the start that I would begin to lose you for a boy.”

“Eh... don't say that!” I gently tugged her to look at me, “Don't worry. It has always been us and I will always take your side. Whatever happens, I will take your side, mom.” 

“That's a relief then...”

“Mom, it's as if me and Oppa are doing it for real. Don't worry, we are not. And I think I won't be ready for that stuff right now.”

“You may never know.”

“You're teasing again...” I pouted.

“Ani...” she took off her gloves and put her palms on my cheeks, “But if ever. I want you to think about this: never be scared to love. Not all love stories end the way it did for me and Appa...”

“Okay...” I just nodded since I don't want to push the issue.

~~~

We walked along the park minutes later after we bid goodbye to mom. She was still pushing that Oppa should come again one day so she could prepare a proper meal for her 'son-in-law'. I groaned still but both of them just laughed at me. 

“Are we going to ride again?” I said obviously expecting why we were there. He promised me that we would go on a bike ride again.

“You're an impatient one, aren't you?” He said swiftly brushing a finger on my cheek.

Maybe I was re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter