Twenty Six (Complete)

Complete
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER 26. CHASING DESTINY

 

There has been an on-going talk about the Director of Media and Audience Research Department and his assistant for having inconspicuous transactions with the rival companies. At first, Seohyun thought it was a mere baseless accusation since she has known them for quite a while too but in the end it was all true. She stared at the office memo she found on her desk early that morning and shifted on her seat with confusion.

“You are hereby informed that starting Monday you will be reporting as the OIC Assistant to the Director of Audience and Research Department. As such you, please take note of your duties and responsibilities listed below...”

It wasn't really making sense to her so she finally stood and knocked on her immediate head's office.

“Oh Seo Hyun, hi!” Kim Hyo Yeon, the Senior Research Analyst Officer for the Audience Research Office, who happened to be her good friend beamed at her, “What brought you here? Do we have any prob?”

“I think we have...” she nodded as she handed her the memo.

“Problem?” She shook her head then shrugged, “I don't see any problem with a promotion. And please sit down.”

Seo Hyun lifelessly sat, it seemed that her boss didn’t get her point, so she supplied, “Yes that's the point. It's a promotion! Like a big one!”

“Woah! Woah!” Hyo tried not to laugh by the petrified expression the younger girl was wearing, “When did a BIG promotion become a problem?”

“But--” she bit her tongue and shook her head when her boss just smiled strangely, "Wait. Did you happen to recommend me?"

"Oh no..." she shook her head, "It was the management's move. Maybe my monthly ratings for you has affected this decision plus, of course, your positive performance for four years in this Company. You deserve this promotion, Seo Hyun.”

“It should have been you...” she sadly said staring at the paper again, “I really don't think I deserve this...”

“Ahhh! That's what you were worrying! They can't put me up there since they need me more here. Besides, it's only for six months and after that you can come back to me.” Hyo Yeon finally noticed that little light reflecting Seo Hyun's face, “Unless, the Company deemed you fit for the position after that duration.”

“Aish...” she muttered, “And did they disclose the new Director?”

“Well, because of those hullabaloos the Management has been keeping their lips sealed until Monday when the new Director arrives. But I have a hint that it will be the youngest son of the CEO. Besides, after what happened, they could not just give the position to anybody here.”

“Ahh... that just made more nervous now!”

“Psh! Stop being paranoid there!” She scowled and stood, “Come on, I forgot to tell you. I will be the one to orient you on your new post.”

“What? So you know this, Unnie, before hand?” Although she was Hyo Yeon's subordinate the latter has encouraged her to call her sister whenever they are only talking alone, which she believed to be practiced by their other peers. Only when they are in front of the bosses or other employees of the Company she lets them call her Supervisor.

“Of course! I did not tell you because I know how you would react,” Hyo Yeon walked towards the door and winked at her, “And, see? I was right...”

After introducing her to the staff at the Director's Office, Hyo Yeon ushered her towards the room which she would be working side-by-side the new Director. Seo Hyun was caught in awe with the new interiors, not to mention that it was obviously extended meters bigger. She has been there so many times that was why it thrilled her that the Company really did take the whole change so atrociously. Anyway, it was the son of the CEO and probably the future CEO so he deserved only that luxurious workplace.

The office exudes that masculine feel with those rich hard woods and minimal furnishings. A small receiving area furnished with brown leather settee, a black beanbag on the corner, and a Japanese coffee table that would welcome anybody who enters the room. On the right side was a desk complete with office equipments that she imagined to be her place.

“This will be your new work station...” Hyo Yeon tapped the table, “Do you like it? It's far prettier than mine!”

“I know!” She nervously smiled. Deep inside, it was her wish to work in a place like that-- like being inside a real Diplomat's office. To her astonishment, her table was located at the corner a little closer to the door with the high end computer mounted on the side and the other office fixtures. However, she wasn't really comfortable of its position. If only she could, she would have asked to have it face the receiving area than facing that of the Director's table.

“And this will be where our new boss sits,” Hyo playfully lunged herself on the mahogany colored box armchair resembling that of the CEO's. She noticed that the blush of pink on the younger girl's face did not even lessen though they were inside the room for a couple of minutes already, “Ya! Sit down so we can discuss your duties and responsibilities.”

Seo Hyun followed and took the sit across the table gazing at the empty desk nameplate and listened to Hyo Yeon's instructions. More or less, she knew those already but it was also a fact that she would be taking her baby steps on that new position. The room has that autocratic feel to it and wished that her new boss will be as accommodating and as friendly as the one talking in front of her.

The promotion was really flattering that she was losing hope on herself that she could do well. She needed to call Yoona and her mother later to discuss the whole thing. Not that she doesn't like it but the responsibilities overwhelmed her since she was also dividing her time between work and school.

“Seo Hyuna, the Management trusts you and most importantly, I trust you,” Hyo Yeon gently said when she realized that she was zoning out again, “Prove to us that you are really deserving of this position and for six months, show to us a brand new you. Someone we could be more proud of as part of this Company.”

Seo Hyun felt her heart skipped with what she said, “Yes Unnie... I will never let you down...”

“Okay! Good!” Hyo Yeon stood again and extended her hand to her, “Come, let's go to the record and stock room.”

She thought it was the end to that room but she has mistaken. A door beside the huge bookcase opened towards another room that was what her boss or ex-boss mentioned. Hyo Yeon d for the lights on the side and exposed a smaller space lined with some metal cabinet organizers and an open floor-to-ceiling bookcase that contained nothing but stacks of papers, documents and books with a sliding ladder on the corner. The cabinets were tagged accordingly with their office supplies contents and there were also a scanner and photocopying machine in the middle of the room.

“Everything you need is here. You can review the checklist if you want. Actually, you can start using this office but just report to me before and after office hours so that you can familiarize yourself with everything.”

They started walking out until Hyo Yeon stopped again, “Oh, I forgot. The Director, just like the CEO, has a special room where he or she could usually rest and you are the only one allowed to go in here... to fix things around and provide everything he may need.”

She was getting dizzy already as Hyo Yeon opened the locked door to an adjacent room next to what she presumed to be the restroom. This time it was smaller than the stock room but far sophisticated than her own bedroom, or apartment, for that matter. There was a pantry on the side equipped with a coffee-maker, blender, microwave, small fridge and other what-nots a kitchen should have and a mini dining area. A white day bed with a side table and a mini cabinet was the focal point of the entire room as it was situated in the middle. The area was designed with white furnishings with a tint of black just to complement the rather brightness and, the thick white curtain opens to reveal a mirrored wall which has the best view of the skyscrapers outside. Seo Hyun has heard about this kind of room from the other employees and it seemed like only family members of the CEO working in the top management has that kind of privilege.

“This is so beautiful...” she whispered as she looked down from the dizzying heights.

“I know...” Hyo Yeon laughed, “And I'm so happy that I was able to enter this room too before I become one of the unauthorized.” She sat on the bed and tapped the side for her to take, “If only all the CEO's sons are not married, I would throw myself to one of them to have this luxury!”

“Unnie!” Seo Hyun hissed but chuckled when she laughed, “Yeah, we must enjoy this first before the real owner arrives.”

“Yeah, and Seo Hyun, there's another phone line-- the white one, on the Director's table. That's the private line and you are not allowed to use it nor answer if ever the Director is not around.”

“Okay, thank you for all the help...” she ran her palm on the soft cottony bed.

“You're welcome...”

“What could be my new boss look like? I hope he or she is as kind and nice as you are...”

“I hope so... if it would be the CEO's son, he's a sure hunk but he's married already,” Hyo frowned.

“He is?”

“Yeah, just gotten hooked eight or seven months ago? I'm not sure... but remember when the whole family went to the States? I guess it was because of the wedding...”

“I see...”

“And oh, for your first assignment, you will meet the Director at the airport Monday morning and drive him to his pad.”

“What?” When do those bombs end dropping on her? “I will be the one to pick him up?”

“Yeah, I was just informed about this. Only you and the company driver assigned for you since the Director will have his personal car. But on picking him up at the airport will be your first job and probably the easiest. Right?”

Picking him up at the airport, she as the one-man welcome party, what could go wrong? Definitely nothing.

~~~

He hated being inside a plane. Comfortable as it was since he basically had the whole corner to himself, he was still restless. Maybe it was the long hours spent being caged in that place that one could not really do anything but amuse himself with all the amenities a first class passenger deserves. He tried one unfamiliar movie among the hundreds on the list but instead of being entertained, the wide screened LCD monitor seemed to annoy his vision so he just decided to recline and sleep his way back to Korea. That is, if he could. With one touch of a button, he adjusted himself and put on the eye mask his sister prepared for him.

He was assigned at the advertising firm of one of the companies owned by Tiffany's husband and the sudden situation in Seoul became a b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter