Forty Three (Complete)

Complete
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Absence diminishes little passions and increases great ones,

as wind extinguishes candles and fans a fire.

~ Francois De La Rochefoucauld 

 

 

Chapter 43. From Here

 

 

There will never be any man

Could love you just the way that I love you

~ You And I (bee gees / kenney rogers)

 

“When I asked you to go see me at the train station, I was going to give you that. I wanted to ask you to wait for me after two years so I could make things better for you— for us.”

 

Seo Hyun's heart hasn't even recovered after their abrupt contact and now it was palpitating so loudly again as she watched his solitary expression, “Oppa, I didn't know. I—“

 

“I know, Hyun. And I'm not telling you this because I want you to feel bad about anything,” his hands held hers. “I am telling you this because I want you to know what happened that day. Maybe it was not really the perfect time to give you the necklace, but the day I gave you— that was the perfect moment. Just like everything else, we fell apart because it was not really our time to be together. I love you, Hyun...”

 

She swallowed the lump in but it did not help at all. Her heart gave up and tears welled out of her eyes. She hid her face on her hands until he pulled her closer to him and cried on his chest.

 

“Aigooo...” he muttered resting his lips at the crown of her head and soothed her back as if she was a child crying in his arms, “Ya... I did not mean to make you cry again. Why do you always have to cry?”

 

Seo Hyun grumbled and hit him lightly but with face remained buried by his chest.

 

“Ya... ya...” he said in between soft laughs as he held on to his arms and gently peeled her off that she has to sit straight again. Yong Hwa run a hand on her skin just to wipe the remaining dampness and cupped her cheeks, “Hey, if I tell you my plan tomorrow. Would it make you stop crying?”

 

She smiled and bobbed her head as she wiped her nose with the back of her hand, “Okay...”

 

“Does trip-to-see-sunset-and-sunrise ring a bell?” He said watching her eyes glowed and a smile formed on her lips.

 

“We're going on a trip?”

 

“Yeah, so you better pack your bag.” Yong Hwa nodded as if he was talking to a little girl. “Do you have any question? Ask me anything now while I'm in the mood to answer.”

 

“Where are we going?”

 

“Hmmm, that one I can't really answer. Try again.”

 

“Ya, I thought I can ask anything!”

 

“Just that one, okay? Come on...”

 

“How long are we staying there?”

 

“Only for two days. Tomorrow and the next day. Let's celebrate early Christmas there... since I believe you want to spend that day with your parents.”

 

She nodded, “But it's not until four more days, Oppa.”

 

“So you're telling me you want to come back a day before Christmas?” He eyed her impishly.

 

“Huh?”

 

He could not help but laugh then he deliberately cleared his throat. “I mean, you want to be with me longer than two days.”

 

She rolled her eyes, “Fine, then let's come home on day five!”

 

Yong Hwa chuckled. How he loved teasing her.

 

~~~

 

Hyun Joong watched his wife by the corner of his eyes. Her gentle humming come in tune with the snapping of the scissors as she busily cut some magazines pages for a possible design of her wedding hanbok. He has been thinking about it, maybe he could be hitting two birds with one stone and with that thought, he stood and sat by the edge of the bed. Tiffany looked at him curiously especially when he gently snatched the sharp object in her hand.

 

 

“What do you want, Kim Hyun Joong?” She glowered amidst his crooked smile, “Are you forgetting how pregnant I am right now?”

 

He laughed, not that simple ordinary laugh but a laugh that made his stomach hurt. After moments of trying to contain himself and a few repeated slaps from his wife, he coughed and shook his head, “Love, I do sometimes, I mean, always swish that you are not pregnant but,” he pursed his lips to avoid bursting in another laughter while she maintained her serious expression, “That has nothing to do with what I will tell you.”

 

Tiffany grimaced, “Then what is it?” Deep inside, she was embarrassed but she couldn't make him see that. Whatever he was about to say should be something to lift her mood up.

 

“About your plans with Yong Hwa and Seo Hyun,” he cleared his throat and tried to relax.

 

“If you're about to dissuade me again, you better try another time...”

 

“Hey... are you still upset? I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to laugh. You were just too adorable.”

 

“And you laugh at something too adorable?”

 

“No... I said sorry, didn't I?” He pinched her cheek but she just pushed his hand away. Hyun Joong moved closer and shoved the pillow that was getting on his way to embrace his wife but she tried to move only that her body won't let her. That failed attempt finally gave way for a smile to escape her lips that he playfully shuffled her hair.

 

“Alright,” she nodded reluctantly, “What is it?”

 

“Remember the beach house I was trying to get for a frie—“

 

“OH MY GOSH!”

 

Hyun Joong chuckled when Fany clapped her hands on and her eyes widened. He nodded, confirming the question she needed not to ask anymore, “Yes, it was for Yong Hwa and he's taking Seo Hyun there tomorrow. As far as I can remember, the two will be back before Christmas eve.”

 

“Oh my god! Really?!” She asked again and squealed when he nodded.

 

“Yes,” he laughed when she flung her arms and kissed him repeatedly. Suddenly, his brows drew together when she abruptly detached herself and her eyes twinkled. It made him mumble, “What now?”

 

“Oh my god! I have the perfect idea!” She tapped her hands excitedly at her husband's lap while he narrowed his eyes. She was actually scheming to have the two 'accidentally' trapped in Yong Hwa's apartment but it seemed that circumstance was agreeing with her.

 

“Love, you promised!” he protested once she squealed again but his wife just knew how to deal with him as she rested her head by his arm and looked at him the way he could never resist.

 

“But love, since we don't really need to push through with my plan then we have to do something else...” She pouted and let her lashes do what they do best.

 

“Tiffany, look at you.” He pulled his arm off her and continued, “Any time soon, our baby's gonna come out so—“

 

She s her arms to his again and pleaded, “Will you let me tell you what I have in mind first? Besides, I promise, this won't be needing too much of my physical energy... please????”

 

“Fine,” he shot a glance up to the ceiling and decided that it would be better. If he would insist on a no, she might just do a way on whatever she has in mind and it might make things worse so he nodded listlessly, “Tell me...”

 

“Okay,” she sat up with face all aglow, “Here's the plan...”

 

~~~

 

Yoona buttoned her coat as she made her way out of the cafe. She needed to check on the books she ordered for her reading corner. The book shop promised that it would be delivered the other day but she has waited until she decided to just go there personally. Midway by the pathwalk, she recognized the woman walking towards the shop with the man she reckoned as the latter's husband.

 

 

“Unnie!” She exclaimed as Tiffany got closer to where she stood and she took two steps to finally welcome her in an embrace.

 

“Long time no see, Yoona...” Fany beamed. She turned to gently pull her husband by her side, “This is my husband, Hyun Joong...”

 

“Hi,” he bowed at the younger girl.

 

“It's nice to meet you, Oppa...” Yoona smiled and bowed back, “I'm so glad that you two could come and visit me.”

 

“Yeah, I have been meaning to come here with Seo Hyun but,” she soothed her hands along her stomach and Yoona giggled. “Anyway, Yoona, I hate to come here just because I have a teeny-weeny favor to ask...”

 

Her smile slightly disappeared then nodded, “Okay, why don't we go inside and have some coffee...”

 

“Great!” Fany replied taking Yoona's hand as they walked in the shop and Hyun Joong followed behind with each hands carrying two paper bags.

 

After they got settled, she asked with interest, “Uhm, Unnie, I'm curious and excited about your teeny-weeny favor. What is it?”

 

“Uhm, it's about your bestfriend and my brother... you know, I'm kinda worried they might be moving too slow—“ she cut herself purposely, “By the way, did Seo Hyun tell you about her trip with Yong Hwa?”

 

Yoona puckered her lips then nodded upon remembrance, “Yeah, she told me about it last night.” Her bestfriend has been updating her of the 'five-day' dates with her boyfriend but still she could not really interpret that smile her Fany Unnie was having.

 

“That's good then,” she nodded approvingly, “As I was saying, I'm worrying the two might move too slow so I have this idea since they need our little intervention...” she took one paper bag and let Yoona peek inside as Hyun Joong was already putting his hand on his face.

 

“Oh my gosh, Unnie! Do you want me to—“

 

“Yeah! I want you to—“

 

“Ya, I think she got the point now, you don't need to elaborate...” Hyun Joong rolled his eyes while one hand held on to his wife's arm as if his life defended on it. He wondered why he agreed on that whole charade.

 

“Aigooo... Yeobo,” Tiffany let her arm slip off his hand but took it and squeezed it tenderly, “I told you I can handle this, no need for you to come with me.”

 

She was speaking in a voice that reminded him of how she would talk to her tummy when their baby kicked, “I'm just making sure you're only doing what we agreed on.”

 

“Fine...” she chuckled while running her hand on his then turned to Yoona, “So can you do it?”

 

“Uh, wait. I'm not really sure, you know Seo Hyun, I don't think she will agree.”

 

“See? She did not get it...” she scolded her husband, “What I mean is, you will just...”

 

Hyun Joong decided to reach for the magazine under the glass table and started to get himself busy. He knew her whole plan and thankfully, what she was saying was exactly what they discussed moments ago. It would be better since she didn't need to do anything more. More so, it was way workable than her first plan of kidnapping Seo Hyun and locking her up in his brother-in-law's apartment. It was too ambitious, not to mention, dangerous especially since she decided to be there physically during the staged 'abduction.'

 

“That is so hilarious, Unnie!”

 

The magazine slightly moved lower when Yoona uttered aloud but his eyes dropped back on it when Fany met his gaze.

 

“So, are you in?” She asked eagerly.

 

Yoona nodded with the same energy, “Yes! Very much on it!”

 

“Great!” Tiffany giggled, “And it's the perfect time to call her now.”

 

“Oh, okay!” Yoona replied taking her phone out from her coat and pressed her friend's number. She bit her lower lip when Seo Hyun answered and set the call on speaker, “Hi Seo! Where are you?”

 

“Unnie... at the office... waeyo?”

 

“I thought you're on leave?”

 

“Hmmm... I needed to finish some stuff before the new Director holds office.”

 

“I see,” she nodded and noticed how her Unnie's husband seemed to peer in, “Are you ready for your winter trip?”

 

“Hmmm... I think I am but I'm still a little nervous, Unnie”

 

“No, it's excitement.” She winked at Fany then tried to sound serious, “By the way, did you pack the things you need? I can go shopping with you...”

 

“Eh, no need for me to go shopping. I'll just bring what I have. I even put them out already.”

 

“Put them out? Meaning you haven't packed your luggage yet?” Her lips drew a big grin when her Unnie raised a thumb.

 

“Uhm... only the clothes, but I'll do it as soon as I get home.”

 

“Hmmm, let me help you then. I'll pack your luggage.”

 

“Yeah? It's okay, Unnie. I can do it.”

 

“Aish... let me do it. Besides, I-I uh... I'm good at packing?” She bit her lip again when Seo Hyun sounded to be giggling and Hyun Joong snorted on his corner.

 

“Huh? Really? Since when?”

 

Fany's hand was on that she also could not stop herself from chuckling, “Uhm, today?” Yoona finally let out a soft laugh, “Aigoo, just leave it to me...”

 

“Okay then, if you insist. And thank you so much!”

 

“Yeah, thank me... you seriously need to...” She grinned wider when Fany raised both thumbs up and Hyun Joong dropped the magazine on his lap.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Aigoo... never mind. Just call me before you go home.”

 

“Sure. Anyway, I need to go buy something before going home.”

 

“Great then!” She ended the call and heaved a sigh of relief as Tiffany clapped in approval. Yoona put her phone down with her smile pasted on her face and giggled some more when the Fany took out one hot red material and held it up. “My husband loves this stuff!”

 

“Fany-ah...” so much to his chagrin, Hyun Joong hid his face on one hand and shook his head.

 

~~~

 

She watched as the young man in front of her stir his coffee, Hyun Mi could tell how nervous he was. Setting her own cup on the saucer, she handed him the platter of cookies.

 

“Thank you...”

 

Yong Hwa forced a smile so she chuckled, “You have always been too uncomfortable around me, haven't you?” She laughed softly when he nodded. “Don't be, you are part of my family when you decided to become my daughter's friend... or special friend?”

 

 

“Yes, Imo...” he nodded. He was exceptionally nervous not only because he has always been afraid that the woman across him could find some flaws and decide that she could not accept him for her daughter but because of his intention as to why he invited her for breakfast.

 

“Yong Hwa, why don't you try to relax a bit,” she tried to make him feel at ease, “I am just Joo Hyun's mother.”

 

“Exactly why I cannot relax, Imo,” he smiled nervously again as she laughed.

 

“Then you are giving me a reason to have second thoughts if you are really right for my daughter.” That surely made the young man's eyes widened in disbelief. “I want my daughter's boyfriend to be confident of himself.”

 

“I-I'm sorry,” he laughed with her but nervously. Then lounged comfortably on his seat but puffed another breath that it made her smile.

 

“Aigoo... so shall we get to the whole point of this breakfast now?” She asked half-amused.

 

“Ahhh... yes.” Yong Hwa nodded, “As her mom, I want to ask you first before her...” He swallowed when her face turned more serious and rested her forearms on the table, “I want to marry your daughter, Imo... Will you let me?”

 

A small smile escaped her lips. How nice of this gentleman to ask for her decision first before Seo Hyun's. She must commend Hee Jun for raising a step-son like him, “How can you convince me that you are the right one for her when you come to me looking all pale like that?”

 

 

He was starting to get all sweaty, “Because I'm the only one who could love your daughter this way, ma'am.” His heart drummed in his chest but the way her lips smiled a little wider gave him hope so he continued with all the courage he could muster, “I promise you and dad that I will make her happy every day of her life.”

 

“It's impossible, Yong Hwa,” she said firmly, “Married life is so much different from courtship.”

 

“I-I know that, Imo...” he stopped to dab his forehead, “But... let me try my best to make her happy.”

 

Hyun Mi could not help but laugh, she seemed like torturing him so she cleared , “Just make sure there won't be any episode of her coming to my house with you following after her and begging her to come home.”

 

“I promise that it won't happen, Imo,” he finally smiled.

 

“Just love my Joo Hyun, Jung Yong Hwa... that's all I could ever ask of you.”

 

~~~

 

That was one of the weirdest call she ever got from Yoona. Out of the blue, she offered to pack her stuff when it was one of her most hated things, next to wrapping gifts.

 

“Oh well...” she sighed to herself.

 

After all, it was a bad thing to think negatively about someone's kindness so she just continued checking if the reports were done according to Yong Hwa's instructions. She also needed to recheck the items in the stock room and made sure that the Secretary could find everything Director Kim needed. Her leave was due for a month but she decided to report for work for her own peace of mind.

 

Seo Hyun stopped halfway through skimming one document. Plopping her elbows on the table, she rested her chin at the back of her hand and stared at the empty Director's chair in front of her. How time flies so fast that she hardly noticed how long it has been when he sat there for the first time and made her mentally and emotionally unstable. Smiling to herself, she reminisced those days of crazy assumptions that the man she loved all her life has someone else. It was so painful and thankfully, she could finally laugh at her silliness.

 

When he drove her back to her apartment that night, Yong Hwa informed that he would be taking over his father's construction business in Busan. For a moment, she felt nervous and her chest tightened for it meant not seeing him on a regular basis. But then she remembered the trip.

 

She smiled.

 

He has been staging his events for the past three days and maybe it was time to make her own. He deserved it and she was willing to give it all to him.

 

 

So the fortune teller was indeed right. She has been thinking about it, analyzing all along the readings. It was really her Yong Oppa that brought the biggest effect in her life. For one, it was him who made her realize how much she longed to be her father's daughter. And it was him who proved the old woman's words that she could never forget.

 

“...the stars always align and destiny has a way of going through the barriers. Your future will always intertwine with this person.”

 

Her whole life intertwined with his. From their past to the present and, most especially, in the future.

 

~~~

 

“Sorry, bro, I have to send your sister back home and lock her up there for the day.” Hyun Joong took his seat across his brother-in-law.

 

“Huh? I thought you don't allow her to go out anymore.” Yong Hwa asked when he noticed how he seemed to be panting.

 

He rested comfortably on his seat and loosened his tie, “I accompanied her to meet an old friend. You know your sister, she—“

 

“Drove you crazy again...” Yong Hwa supplied.

 

“Exactly!” he chuckled, “Anyway, how long have you been here?”

 

“I just arrived too. I went to visit dad at the institution.”

 

“Ahhh... how is he?”

 

“Still the same, Seo Hyun's mom has been taking care of him.”

 

“Really? That's a good news.”

 

Yong Hwa nodded and grinned, “Do you have good news for me too, Hyung?”

 

“I guess I do,” he nodded and handed him the brown envelope. Hyun Joong watched as the younger man took out the documents and started smiling wider, “I went to see the developer and it seemed that dad talked to him already. He signed the documents even before getting the payment.”

 

“Hyung,” Yong Hwa smiled in disbelief, “Thank you so much for this! I don't know how to repay you...”

 

“Ya... ya... no need for that. Consider that as my Christmas gift for you and probably the pre-wedding gift for both of you?”

 

He laughed, “Okay, I'll work on that.”

 

“Tsk, I'm still disappointed that you did not let me pay for it though...”

 

“Hyung, convincing the developer to sell the property is even a priceless gift.”

 

Hyun Joong finally nodded, “Just make sure you won't mess anything on this trip

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter