Thirteen (Almost Complete)

Complete
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER THIRTEEN



She opened one eye and felt that intense numbing of her arm that was still dangling from the sofa so she finally rested it on her side. Smiling to herself, she closed her eyes one more time as she recalled the way he whispered, “You are my favorite movie... don't you know that?” 

Finally accepting the fact that her boyfriend could be overly mushy at times, she just sighed since it's bad to complain about it. The fact that she was loving it deep inside made her sigh again. 

Seo Hyun was in that awake-and-asleep state when she felt him move towards her. A crazy idea of startling him with a childish 'gakoong' came to her mind but the moment she felt his lips on her temple, she suddenly forgot everything as if she was frozen on the spot. Good thing he believed that she was asleep that it saved her little self from the very possible moment of total discomfort with him again. 

That moment of pretending to be asleep kept her from holding on to her heart that she almost stopped breathing. Maybe she was really a good actress or it was one of the so-called adrenaline rush. She finally opened her eyes and touched the side of her lips. He kissed her there. That was her first kiss, like the first real one, and it just felt right.

“Eeeeeeeee.....” Seo Hyun hissed then turned lying on her back and stared at the ceiling without taking her fingers off her lips. She remembered their conversation about the kiss and when he that he would do it. Good thing she did not sneeze again. She laughed and felt silly. What could have happened when she suddenly opened her eyes? Would he back off or kiss her fully like in the movies?

“Eeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!” she screeched again to herself. The idea seemed too far away. Eventually, they would do it, Yoona warned and she was even conditioning her mind not to act stupid when the time comes. If he would kiss her, she should let him if she wants it too— forget about shyness. One of Yoona's advices and it makes sense.

But that kiss was good enough as her first one, sweet and easy. Not too fancy, not too romantic.

Just right.

Seo Hyun closed her eyes again and turned to her side stretching her arms forward trying to feel him there but when she realized his absence, she opened her eyes and sat up. Somehow, she was imagining him lying on the floor sleeping but she frowned knowing that he left already. But it was a good thing too. She doesn't want him to see her daydreaming about what happened moments ago. Taking the bear by its tiny hand, she stood and was about to go to her room when something on the floor caught her attention.

She unfolded the small paper and smiled.

'Hi princess, sorry as much as I hated to
but I have to go. Some unpacking to do. 
I did not wake you up since you look prettier when you're asleep
kekekekeke... I'll call you later...
I love you, Seo Hyuna~!'

The last line sent shivers down her spine and made her stomach churn in a good way. It made her smile even bigger. His love, it was kinda comfy and warm.

“Ya... stop smiling like that, you look stupid.”

Seo Hyun looked up to see her mom by the kitchen door leaning on the side with a hand on her waist, “You're home!”

“Well, I am...” she nodded then turned to go back to the kitchen, “Son-in-law is a sweet guy, isn't he?”

Her eyes widened in disbelief as she followed her mother depositing her stuffed toy on the sofa again, “Mom! Have you been sneaking on my personal stuff again?!”

“It was an accident that I saw it there,” she grinned while arranging the groceries on the pantry. “What time did you two come home?”

Seo Hyun slumped on one of the chair folding and refolding the paper, “Hmmm... a few hours ago. But, mom...”

“Arasso, Ju Hyun...” she chuckled. Her daughter doesn't really forget things easily and she usually needs to assure her whenever she's upset about something, “Promise, I won't pry on your personal things again.”

“Okay,” she pouted and hid her little treasure on her pocket, “Was he still here when you arrived?”

“No... I only found you sleeping with that silly smile pasted on your face.”

“Umma!!!!!”

“Arasso... you were not smiling, okay?”

“Hmp,” she grumbled again but smiled when her mom eyed her with discontent, “Okay... so Umma, how was your day? Did you meet your friend?”

“Hmmm... yeah, I did. It was all good,” Hyun Mi was then starting to make dinner, “Ju Hyun, I'm going to Daejon this coming weekend.”

“Daejon?” She went over to her mom to probe further. It has been a long time since her mom went back to their hometown after they left more than ten years ago, “Why? Halmeoni and Imo usually come here...”

“Well, your Imo is busy with her business and halmeoni wants me to visit her...” she cut some strips of kimchi and poured sesame sauce on a small bowl, “I'm also planning to check on the old apartment for some documents. Do you wanna go with me?

“To the old house?”

“To Daejon...” she stopped and looked at her waiting for her answer, “So?”

“Hmmm... nope...” she turned and decided to arrange the table, “I'll stay here, I think I've got something important to do...”

“Okay...” she did not insist anymore since it was a sensitive topic even to date. She has really been planning to go back for so many times but something would come up that make her decide against it. It has been ages and it was time to at least face that place again but she could not push her daughter to it too. The only one who was too affected by the divorce was Seo Hyun. But, like her, she has to accept the past and let go of all the burdens it has caused them.

Seo Hyun played with her chopsticks drumming them on the plates and bowls. After they moved to Seoul, it was her grandmother and aunt who would visit them so she really wondered why her mom suddenly has to go back to that place.

“Ju...”

Her mom called softly so she looked up but she was still facing the sink, “Hmmm?”

“What if Appa visits us one day?”

The chopstick slipped on her fingers and the clanging sound as they met the plate was enough to make her heart pound. “Uhmm... I-- I don't know... Is he... going to?”

Hyun Mi turned towards her daughter and noticed her pale face. It was a wrong idea to bring it up. “Oh... forget that I asked.”

“Are you...” the words seemed to get lost on her mind but she managed to continue, “By any chance, are you meeting him there?”

“Oh, no... no, no...” she shook her head with a nervous smile, “I... I was just thinking about it.”

“Okay...” she exhaled a little louder and felt that familiar pang on her stomach, “Umma, do you have that medicine?”

“Uh? You're stomach is aching? Wait... hang on...” it was really a bad idea. She wiped her hands on her apron and ran to her room. She should really know better. 

~~~

Seo Hyun was tracing the little flowers printed on her pillow as the faint light from her lamp shade kept her company. It was almost midnight but she still could not sleep and wondered why he wasn't calling yet. She turned and lied on her back looking into the ceiling. Sleep seemed to elude her so she sat up taking the life-sized bear that she named Babo and rested it on her lap. Suddenly, her phone rang.

“Ya...”

“Hi...” with a mellow voice, she answered while placing her chin on Babo's head.

“Did you get my note?”

“Yeah, but my mom read it first,” Seo Hyun seriously said.

“Chongmal?”

“De...” she softly chuckled imagining how his eyes widen when she would surprise him like that.

“Otteoke, Hyun!”

“Otteoke, Yong...”

“What did she say?”

“Nothing...” she paused and smiled when she recalled his note then continued in a pretty disappointed tone, “So I'm prettier when I'm asleep, huh? Some boyfriend you are...” 

She smiled when he heard him laughed so loud.

“Oh that, well...”

“I'm just kidding...”

“Hyun?”

“Yes?”

“Why do you sound so... so lifeless?”

“I had a stomachache awhile ago...”

“Oh! Are you okay now? Did you take medicine? Does your mom know?”

Smiling on how he bombarded her with those questions, she replied, “Yes, I'm okay now...” 

“Hmmm... you must be tired. I'll just call tomorrow...”

“No... it's okay, Oppa. Maybe I need you now... I need someone to talk to tonight...” she laid herself down to bed hugging her fluffy company.

“What's wrong?”

“Hmmmm.... I think my mom met my dad this afternoon.” It has been playing on her mind since she would usually tell her every detail of her day. But her mom did not tell her wherever she went that aft

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter