Forty Five Part 1 (Complete)

Complete
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s Note: This part is a collaboration with another author back when this was posted in Soompi. The characters you will read about was from Almost Lover of Nuna501. The scenes were written in sync of our respective plots. 

 

 

 

Chapter 45. And I Belong to You

 

One love in my young life

Took me somewhere I had never been

And I want to live again, breathe again

In the shelter of his brightly woven love song

So long I have wanted love to be

Sitting just this near to me

Now my waiting heart is free

Few are the choices we are given

The sands of time pass quickly by

One dream of my young life

Now stands holding out his hand to me

Now I can't help but believe that my whole life will be

Spent in one love

~ One Love (The Carpenters)

 

 

PART 1

 

The rest of the day was spent playing on the beach despite the prickly coldness but they warmed themselves up on the living room after a few hours. Mostly, cuddling and kissing until they both fell asleep on that day bed. He woke up and found himself alone. Probably, she was outside with her book as it has disappeared too by its place on the center table.

 

He stared at the ceiling. It was the only thing left unsaid and it was probably the time to tell her. Anyway, as he convinced himself, it was not really a big deal. She would understand that it was his only way to 'communicate' with her. Truthfully, it was not his intention to impertinently pry on her thoughts as those were willingly given. With one loud puff of breath, he decided to go out. 

 

He was right. Seo Hyun was lazying by the bench with her blanket tightly wrapped around her as she reads. Smiling just a little, he leaned his arms on the wooden baluster. Yong Hwa watched the waves moved restlessly by the shore, she was sitting on the bench with the same book covering her face. It was now or never, he told himself. Kneeling in front of her, he took the book as she looked at him inquisitively, “Hyun, I will get something to drink. Do you want one?”

 

She nodded then resumed reading when he left. Seo Hyun put down the book and stared out in the sea. Moments ago, they called her mom and told her about it. She sounded like tearing up and scolded her when she teased. It must be exciting to tell Fany. Her phone rang and stole her out of her reverie so she reached for it. Feeling suddenly nervous as the caller's name flashed on the screen, it took her a few seconds before answering the call.

 

It was 'you.' “H-hello?” The other line remained quiet but her heart won't stop from throbbing too loud so she finally talked, “H-hey, I think I have to tell you something. I'm so sorry but this will be the last time I will be talking to you, I'm so—“

 

“I'm more sorry, Hyun...”

 

Seo Hyun stood that the phone almost fell off her hand. Yong Hwa suddenly slid the door open with the phone by his ear. He was giving her an apologetic smile. A lump formed in that she could hardly compose a word on her tongue. She felt dizzy. Half of her was expecting that, right? Then why does she felt suddenly nauseous?

 

It was him who ended the call then walked towards her to take the phone that was still near her ear. Yong Hwa could feel her hand tremble and her eyes were somewhat watery. It was the only time he felt terribly nervous, “Hyun?”

 

“I-It's you...” the words managed to escape her lips but quite softer. Tears were stinging her eyes, “Why? Why did you do that? Why didn't you tell me soon? You had so much time... why just now?”

 

“Hyun, I—“ he touched her arm but she shoved his hand away.

 

“What else are you keeping from me, Oppa?”

 

“I'm so sorry! I just want to—“

 

“Why do you always love to play me for a fool?!”

 

“Hyun, it's not my intention— I swear, I—“

 

Suddenly, she shoved him off her way as she ran inside the house and banged the door behind her.

 

“Hyun! We are not doing this again!” Yong Hwa muttered almost shouting as he followed her inside. That was just the total opposite of how he imagined she would react. After the five days they have spent, he thought that she would take it lightly. Besides, he did that just to hear her voice. He stood by the door and knocked twice, “Hyun, please open this and let me explain...” He listened but no sound could be heard from inside. Yong Hwa paced back and forth running his fingers through his hair before standing by the door again with face on the cold wood. “Seo Hyun, open up please... let's talk.”

 

Seo Hyun sat by the foot of the bed with arms wrapped around her folded legs and chin resting on her knees. Although, it was a hunch but she did not let herself believe too much considering everything what she blurted out before. So it was really him and deep inside she feared that fact. She has opened up her heart to whom she believed as a stranger and it was all about him. All those time he has known her heart but still she was led to believe so many things. Besides, he had so much time to tell her the truth but she could not understand why it took him that long.

 

Tears stopped coming but her heart remained pounding and her brain was still trying to understand that information. Her body remained motionless with her eyes fixated on the tiled floor. She could hear his begging outside but she felt that she might just burst out her anger if she face him that moment. She doesn't really know what to feel.

 

Yong Hwa fell on the floor with back resting on the door. He has been pleading for a couple of minutes but she hasn't answered at all. It would have been better if she would just shout at him or pounce him but not that kind of silent treatment. He knocked his head on the door carefully with helpless pleadings, “Hyun, please how can we solve this if you won't talk to me? Come out, let's talk. I know I should have told you a long time ago but I was just scared. Scared that what is happening now would happen. Hyun, I'm so sorry...”

 

He stood and tried to listen again but her silence was really making him slowly lose his patience, “Seo Hyunah, open this door. We can't be like this. Not now or not ever. Come on...” he pounded his knuckles on the wood and his voice, along with his knocks, echoed through the small space of the beach house. He shut his eyes tight and with sharp intakes of breath he pounded harder, “Seo Ju Hyun, I am going to break this door if you don't open up in ten counts. One... two... three... four... five... si—“

 

A soft knock came from the main door that he has to stop and listened for a while just to confirm he hasn't gone crazy yet because of her. When he realized that there was indeed someone knocking, he strode to answer it, “Yes?” Yong Hwa asked without opening the door.

 

“Good evening, Sir. I live next door...”

 

Yong Hwa finally opened up to find a young man securing himself from the cold so he opened the door wider, moved to the side and motioned for the unexpected guest to come in. After closing it, his eyes shifted to the closed bedroom before smiling warmly at his guest and offered his hand, “Hi, I'm Yong Hwa...”

 

“Hello, I am Lee Young Woo. We are having this sort of gathering at our place and my grandmother learned that you just moved in and sent me here to invite you for dinner so we could also formally welcome you to the neighborhood.”

 

“Ahh, thank you so much...” he bowed. Maybe it was the perfect excuse to make her come out. No matter how angry Seo Hyun could probably be, she would be too polite to ignore an invitation like that. He smiled wider, “Please take a sit for a while, I'm going to call my wife.”

 

“Thank you...”

 

As the young man got settled near the fireplace, he walked by the door again and knocked twice, “Hyun, our neighbor sent her grandson to invite us for dinner. Please come out so you could meet him too.” Yong Hwa waited for a second before continuing, “Yeobo, can you please come out? He is waiting for us...” Suddenly, the door screeched open and Seo Hyun emerged with a straight face and walked past him. He grinned behind her and followed her to greet Young Woo, “Young Woo, this is my wife, Ju Hyun.”

 

“Hello, ma'am...”

 

“Hi, just call me nuna,” she smiled gently but flipped her hair lightly to the side with a little snicker as she continued, “And he is not my husband.”

 

“Yet...” Yong Hwa offered as the younger man looked at his wife with interest and Seo Hyun just glared at his way for a moment, “Technically, we are not yet married but engaged.”

 

“I see...” Young Woo smiled without taking any hint of the tension in the room. “Anyway, hyung, nuna, can we expect you later?”

 

“Oh yes, sure!” he answered quite eagerly and turned to Seo Hyun, “Yes, tell your grandmother thanks for the invitation and we would be going over later...”

 

“Great!” He smiled and bowed, “We will be expecting you then. Thank you so much for accepting the invitation and nice meeting you both, Yong Hwa hyung and Ju Hyun nuna...”

 

“And nice meeting you too, Young Woo,” Seo Hyun bowed back with a smile and watched the two boys exchange a friendly hug. She moved back when Young Woo left and the older guy closed the door for him. Turning a heel, she was about to go back to the room when she heard him clear his throat.

 

“And I am not your husband, huh?” He snickered behind her.

 

“Because technically we are not married—“

 

“Yet,” he offered only to be answered by another angry stare from her, “Ya, let's talk...”

 

“I don't want to talk to you right now...” she answered back and opened the bedroom door.

 

“But we will talk later. Go fix yourself and get ready for dinner, Ju Hyun nuna,” he emphasized the last word. He noticed how her face suddenly brightened into a gentle smile when the boy bowed and smiled at her. Not that he was jealous, but he was just annoyed by her sudden change of tone when he talked to him, most especially when she blurted out that they are not married.

 

Wasn't she the one who married them? Yong Hwa scoffed to himself.

 

~~~

 

The stroll to get to the Lee's residence was quiet as Seo Hyun walked ahead and Yong Hwa followed closely behind. He decided to remain silent so as not to ruin the mood later. Maybe they both need that little distraction and the time spent on that invitation could probably make her reassess her decision of ignoring him. They reached the house as she moved back for him to do the knocking, the door was opened by another young man and they were invited in.

 

The house was far bigger than their own, like a huge family vacation house. The sudden lively atmosphere was so inviting as the older woman started introducing each and every one inside the room. It was honestly hard to remember every name and attach them with each face that all they could do was to bow and thank them repeatedly.

 

Seo Hyun just noticed how the whole room was occupied with beautiful people of all ages, not to mention, warm and very friendly. The kids were loudly playing as the young adults chattered with the older people while working busily in the kitchen. Soon they were all ushered in the dining room. The chattering went on as food started to pile up on the table and the smell was already making their mouths water. Only a single moment that the happy bustle was silenced when the matriarch led the prayer.

 

She smiled to herself when she noticed the little boys with their heads hanging low and lips mumbled a prayer. And, like being energized again, all of them thanked each other for the food laid in front of them and wished for an enjoyable dinner. The delectable home-cooked meals did not quiet down the family one bit as they started praising each other with this conversation transpiring right after spoons and chopsticks getting into their mouths.

 

“Yumi-yah, the Sundubu Jjigae is perfect...”

 

“Thank you, Abuji. It’s not too spicy for you?”

 

“No, it’s perfect.”

 

“Noona, this is probably your best Galbijjim…”

 

“Aigoo, Seungjo-ah… You always exaggerate…”

 

“Auntie, the Japchae is delicious! As usual…”

 

“Ah, Jihyun-ah, I didn’t make the Japchae. Your Auntie Yoorim made it this time. I think it’s better than my Japchae…”

 

“Oh, Unnie! You’re so kind. My Japchae will never be better than yours.”

 

Then the calmer food-praising was followed by a ruckus:

 

“The Mineojeon is so tasty! Look! Youngbae swallowed the whole thing! Oh, crap. Why is he turning red?”

 

“Yah! Hyunki! Why did you give him a big piece?”

 

“Oh my God! Is the baby alright? Slap his back,” suggested Jungho’s dad.

 

“Youngbae-yah!” Yisung said loudly while gently slapping his son’s back.

 

*cough* *cough*

 

“Yisung-ah, is he alright?” asked Hyunki’s dad.

 

“Yes, Uncle. He’s okay.”

 

“Aigoo…” Uncle Seungjo slapped Hyunki’s arm. “You almost killed the baby!”

 

“Abuji!” Hyunki exclaimed, massaging his arm.

 

“Ommaaaaa… Appaaaa! Seungki-hyung said there’s cockroach in the stew,” reported Hyunki’s youngest brother, Joonki.

 

Uncle Seungjo turned to the left and pinched Seungki’s ear.

 

“Ow! I was just kidding!” Seungki said, rubbing his ear.

 

Seo Hyun found herself automatically turned to him as she laughed with them. As their eyes met, she saw the same mellow expression he h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter