Twenty One (Almost Complete)

Complete
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

 

Yong Hwa watched as she broke down in tears-- heavier than before. She was shaking her head with her body trembling on every breath. His heart ached with so much grief. How could he make her feel like that? Why should he push what he wanted when it was only causing her too much pain? It was all so painful for him too. To know the truth. To be confused some more. Was it really true? He needed answers and he needed them soon.

But he could not ask her anymore. Seo Hyun was breaking down with those tears that she could hardly say what she has been repeating. She was begging him for something he was fearing to give but he has to make a decision right on that moment-- the same one she has.

“Do you love me?”

Seo Hyun ran her palms on her face shaking her head, “Oppa, please, let's stop now, I'm so tired... I'm so tired...”

“Then just answer me, Hyun... just an answer,” he begged billowing down on his knees then repeated softly, “do you love me?”

She struggled to say right away since her voice got stuck on for a moment that she needed to breathe slow to compose her words. “Yes... yes I do... I love you so much that it's killing me...” despite the raging tears, she continued, “I love you, oh so much...”

Yong Hwa nodded with a gentle smile closing his eyes for a second or more. Suddenly, he reached out and touched her face brushing those tears then withdrew. He took three steps backwards and nodded, “then go, walk away now while I still have the strength not to stop you. Ka. Go... but don't look behind if you're sure... I love you. I will hold on to your words that you love me too...”

Seo Hyun gaped in awe. She shook her head as another bolt of pain crawled on her body.

Finally, he was letting her go.

That was she wanted all along but why does she feel so empty? She remained still unable to move as if waiting for him to take back what he said.

“GO!”

Yong Hwa uttered in a loud and forceful voice that it stunned her until she turned away covering and started to run. He watched her almost swift motion as if the wind itself was taking her on its care and letting her float farther away from him. He wanted to take a break from that sight of her. It was the least of her he wanted to engrave in his memory but it was too late.

He could not look away.

It could be the last.

Her image suddenly vanished when she took the curb up to the main road. He let out a derisive laugh running his fingers through his hair. It was their finality no matter how he lies to himself. His stepfather is her father. What would become of them? They are not related by blood but the situation was disgustingly painful.

It was the moment his heart was commanding him to go follow her and try to work things out with her. But his mind was stronger that his body could do nothing. He should be the first one to understand why she wanted that break up. He knew what she went through and her past was not a secret to him.

Suddenly, he knew what to do so he ran back to his car and drove off.

He needed his answers.

~~~

“Appa, you don't need to see me off. Yong Hwa and Seo Hyunie will be there so I will be okay,” Tiffany asserted when her dad was insisting on staying longer in Seoul.

“Ya! I just want to say goodbye to you,” he grumbled again, “Why do I feel like you are driving me away? You don't even visit us too often but--”

Fany stood and put a hand on his shoulder, “Aigoo, Appa... stop whining. I am just concerned about your health. The doctor said it's better for you to go back to Busan since coming here in Seoul is making you more stressed out. You are always having that far-away look. Are you bothered about something?”

Hee Jun walked to the kitchen and poured himself a glass of water, “Well, there are just some things that I need to wait for here in Seoul so I'm not rushing to go back.”

“Waiting for some things? If it's related to work again, I am telling you Appa, you should just let Uncle manage the business and you just retire.”

“Retire? Out of the question, Fany-ah. You know it's my only distraction.”

“Distraction? Distraction from what?” She smirked then continued checking her first luggage, “Appa, just retire, okay? Besides, one more year and Yong Hwa is done with school and he can take over.”

“Speaking of, where's that kid?”

“Maybe he's out on a date,” she gave him a wink and he laughed.

“Yeah, I never saw him that serious with a girl before.”

“Seo Hyunie is a nice girl. Come to think of it, maybe he could marry her soon,” Fany suddenly felt excited, “We could tell him to marry her because of your health condition!”

“Aigooo! Your brother is still young and especially her!” He scolded his daughter, “Besides, do you think her parents would let her?”

“Oh yeah, I forgot,” she sighed, “But I think Yong Hwa is in good terms with her mother.”

“Still, she is young and by the looks of her, she is an ambitious girl to be tied down early.”

“Hmmm... that's true... oh well,” Fany's shoulders dropped then she turned to him again, “But you like her for him?”

“Of course! Your brother is a smart kid so whoever he chooses I will approve. There's just something about the girl.”

Fany waited for him to continue but he seemed to contemplate longer, “Something?”

“I'm not really sure,” he waved a hand and sat down by the table, “Anyway, let's not talk about it.”

His own daughter would be somewhere Yong Hwa's girlfriend's age. What does she look like now? He still has her baby pictures that he took from their old apartment in Daejon and all the cards she gave him before. Hee Jun hoped that Hyun Mi talked to her already and agreed to see him the soonest possible time. She is the only missing piece in his life and could not go on longer without seeing her.

Fany felt her stomach grumble so she grabbed the phone book to order some food, “Appa, I--” The door opened abruptly and emerged her brother with his disheveled look, “Yong Hwa?” She uttered but her brother strode across the room as if seeing no one and went straight to where their father was sitting.

“Why did you keep it from us?!” Yong Hwa pushed the chair that was blocking his way as his father finally stood with those confused look, “Did you lie to our mother too?”

“Yong Hwa-ya!” Tiffany ran and stood before the astounded man, “What is this all about and don't you use that tone on Appa!”

“HE IS NOT MY FATHER!”

“Yong Hwa! What are you talking about?” Hee Jun tried to push Fany aside but she did not give way.

“What am I talking about? I'm talking about your daughter!”

Hee Jun's chest tightened while Tiffany looked from him to her brother. She was too surprised that he was able to take a step towards the younger boy, “What? How did you--”

“Appa?” She was too confused as Yong Hwa appeared too far from his sane self.

“Did you see her? Do you know where she is?”

“Ha! Why do you care?!”

“Yong Hwa! Don't use that tone on us, you're forgetting respect!” Fany tried to get attention and continued, “And for pete's sake, can somebody tell me what is going on?!”

“Yong Hwa, where is she?” Hee Jun put a hand on his chest.

“And why do you want to know?” Yong Hwa sneered instead, “Why just now?!”

“You have no right to raise your voice at him!” Fany finally pushed him that he almost fell on the floor.

“And he has no right to lie to us, Nuna!”

“Yong Hwa...” Hee Jun's voice almost faded as Tiffany stared her brother.

“He never told us that he was married before he married Umma. That he has a daughter he abandoned at a very young age...”

She was left tongue-tied with what he said. Is it true? Fany turned to their stepfather and his guilty look was a confirmation but he was clutching his hand on his chest already so she took a quick step forward. Although she wanted to know more, she let reason take over first.

“Yong Hwa, this is not the right time for us to talk about this,” Fany calmly said, “Take a shower and go to sleep...”

Yong Hwa's stiff expression did not change. She should make him stop since it was not doing any good to their father's health.

He took a deep breath and shut his eyes. He could read her sister's expression and his anger will not do them any good. Yong Hwa shook his head. He needed to go somewhere or he might get lost in his anger so he turned to leave.

“Do you know where she is?” Hee Jun asked as Fany held on to his arm to stop him from walking towards Yong Hwa. “I want to see her...”

“Ha!” He sneered again without looking back, “You had your chance...”

He swallowed hard. What does he mean? It was frustrating him so he finally sprinted towards him and grabbed him by the shoulder to make him look at him, “Yong Hwa! Tell me where she is!”

“And what do you plan to do when you meet her, huh?!”

“Yong Hwa!” Fany interfered again when her brother raised his voice, “I'm warning you!”

“You had your chance because Seo Hyun is Seo Ju Hyun!”

Fany's almost stopped breathing when she finally understood where her brother's anger was coming from and she turned to look at their stepfather. He did not even blink with his jaw almost dropping. How did it happen? Everybody needs some explaining to do.

“She is...” Hee Jun could feel the tightening on his chest. It was all making sense now.

Yong Hwa looked up then heaved before turning at them with disgust, “And because of you... now it's over. Everything is ruined...”

“Yong Hwa...” Tiffany took a step closer to his brother. She doesn't know who to comfort first as her own tears were flowing down mercilessly. The pain of her brother or that of their stepfather? Which could be greater? She moved closer to where he was standing and embraced him but he stood there stiff as before.

Hee Jun slowly felt his body crumble to pieces as he squatted on the floor with his head falling on his knees and his hands shielded it as if the ceiling would collapse above him.

Yong Hwa watched him. The pain in his chest was increasing and he doesn't really know what to do as his sister's arms tightened on his body. Slowly, he pushed her away and spoke in an undertone, “Take care of him...”

Fany nodded and followed him with her eyes as he quietly left the house dragging his body as if it took him great effort to walk. Now, she could understand that sadness in Seo Hyun's eyes, especially her tears in the restaurant. It must have been very hard for her. Young as she was, she has to endure that kind of torture. She felt sorry for Yong Hwa as her tears fell more now thinking of her baby brother. The one she tried to protect from pain after their mother died. That was the saddest he ever became, he was so young before to understand lose and pain. But now, he was old enough to experience that kind of unbearable truth.

When the door finally closed, she turned her attention to their father and slumped down beside him gently soothing his back. She doesn't know the story and she may never know the pain in his heart but she felt sorry for him. All these years, she was his only daughter and she was thankful to him for treating her like his own. But now she could not understand anymore.

She longed for a sister. All along she has Seo Hyun.

~~~

Her bestfriend was still crying and she doesn't know what to say anymore. There are no words to console her anyway so she just sat there with her hand gently patting her arm as if making a baby sleep. The latter was lying on her bed curled like one hugging that teddy bear that she declared as their first child before. Although, she knew she doesn't have the right to tell Nichkhun and Jin Woon the truth but she could not do anything. It was not a surprise that the two guys sympathized with Yong Hwa but they made it clear that they should all take care of Seo Hyun more now especially with the tough situation she was in.

Yoona was on her way home after hanging out with Nichkhun and Jin Woon thinking of the best way to help their friend when she got a call from her. Seo Hyun was choking on her words that she could barely understand what she was saying. In the end, she told her to just send her exact location so that t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter