Thirty Eight Part 2 (Complete)

Complete
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 38. A Promise To Keep

 

I've loved you forever,

In lifetimes before

~This I Promise You (NSYNC)

 

Part 2

 

The quiet breeze blew when the couple faded from their sight. Yong Hwa rested his hands back at the railing with legs crossed balancing his upper body as he leaned on the cold iron. She, on the other hand, remained motionless but lips pouted slightly in deep thought.

 

“He did not recognize us today.”

 

Yong Hwa turned to her when she started, “Yeah, but don't be so sad.” He grinned and elbowed her gently when she smirked and raised both brows, “In his heart you will always be his Ju Hyun.”

 

That made her smile, he was right. Not because of the other reason for it, but she would rather want her dad to think of them as a married couple than to totally forget about them. That would be better. At least, he would still remember her as his daughter.

 

“One time he was in a bad mood, he was so angry because he said I was a killer and he needed to call the police.”

 

“Really?” She chuckled softly while leaning comfortably by the lamp post beside her, “But I wish he would remain in his lucid state a little longer. It's a sad thing seeing him like this.”

 

“I know... that funny old man...” he chuckled to himself shooting a glance at the building in front of them as if he could hear him.

 

“Thank you...”

 

“For what?” Yong Hwa inquired watching her shake her head lightly with eyes closed and that tiny smile warming his heart.

 

“For everything.” Answering his gaze, she sighed, “For taking care of him and being with him.”

 

“No need for that. Besides, I love him. He is my father, the only one I know. He may not be the best but he is still my father.”

 

“I'm sorry if I didn't see it that way before.”

 

“Hey... stop saying sorry.” Yong Hwa tugged her lightly again, “Your dad is a great guy although he also has and had shortcomings.”

 

Seo Hyun nodded focusing her attention up in the sky. It was a shame that they were standing on that well-lit corner. She would have wanted to see the stars that moment. At least, he became a good father to his adoptive children. She could not deny the fact that she was a bit jealous of the time he spent with them but it should all be in the past. What is important is the here and now.

 

“That's why I'm torn if I would wish him to be my real father or not.”

 

“You could wish for that, you know?” She smiled to herself as she rested her stare on his face. He was still looking up somewhere high above with that melancholic expression. She chose to smile with the thought it might cheer his weariness, “And I bet he wants you to be his real son too—”

 

“No... no...” he shook his head deliberately cutting her off like she has said the worst thing imaginable. Finally meeting her gaze, Yong Hwa continued with that certainty as he spoke, “I wouldn't want him to be my real dad for that would make you my sister.” He stopped waiting for her to say something but then again a serene smile settled on his lips, “And I never wanted it that way.”

 

Seo Hyun tried to open for a second and closed it again. She had to swallow a lump in and felt that abrupt pull somewhere she could not really tell where. Was it from her stomach or her chest? Maybe both? The way he was holding her gaze was not helping at all, especially when she followed his eyes as his hand took hers. The warmth from his touch made breathing a challenge.

 

“I miss you, Hyun...”

 

That was all he needed to say to make her feel strangely nauseous. “I—“

 

“It's okay, you don't need to say anything.” He squeezed her hand softly as if pacifying her before she could even react, “What's important for me right now is that you have acknowledged your father. I hope is he forgiven.”

 

She has to look down, close her eyes and calm her nerves. Seo Hyun was actually about to reply but she was reminded of her promise to Hyo Yeon. I can still hold it up a little bit, she convinced herself then she looked back at him again after pressing her lids tightly, “Yes, and I hope he has forgiven me too. He has suffered the same way I did, the same way mom did. It was like destiny's ugly game setting us all in that mess.”

 

“Yeah, all of us suffered and it was all enough. Let's put everything to the past where they should belong.” Yong Hwa reached out to tuck some strands of hair behind her ear, letting her hands fall on the side on the process.

 

“To the past...” Seo Hyun said under her breath when she felt that tingling sensation, as his fingers left her skin, traveled down to her toes making them curl. Thankfully, she was wearing her flat pumps.

 

“How about us, Hyun? Should we put 'us' to the past?”

 

She fell quiet but her eyes remained on his. Suddenly, he drew a warm curve on his lips as he reached out to slightly thumb her cheek. Seo Hyun felt so fuzzy and dizzy all at the same time, but she has to keep her cool no matter how hard it may seem to be.

 

“I still have the list.” Yong Hwa withdrew his hand from her face and leaned back on the railings again. The cold pierced through his body for the coat that he was supposed to be wearing was keeping the girl he loves warm. He could never complain.

 

“Me too...” she smiled but felt the cold air settling on that part where his palm used to be so she needed to rest her own hand there.

 

“I realized there are so many things that we weren't able to do...” he said casually throwing her a glance once in a while as they both looked ahead of them.

 

Seo Hyun nodded in contemplation, “Hmmm... I noticed that too...”

 

“Why don't we complete the list? Take it from there...” Yong Hwa turned to her with that glint of enthusiasm hidden on that mellow smile. “Let's try if we still have that something together...”

 

“M-maybe...” she suppressed a smile by trapping some air in that her cheeks puffed. The mention of the list made her think of what he was already suggesting.

 

“Are you hesitating? Is it about your... friend?” Yong Hwa gently held on to her elbow to make her turn to him, “That guy who would always pick you up. Is he your—”

 

She shook her head, “He is just my friend.”

 

“But he wants to be more than that, right?”

 

“You could put it that way...” Seo Hyun mumbled dropping her head low for she might give away herself. Reminding herself to remained passive, she allowed him to think whatever it was on his mind about her and Minho.

 

“But you can't decide yet...” he sighed, “Maybe we really need to do this. Once and for all. Do you remember those five days where we pretended to be a couple?”

 

How could she forget? Those simple five days had brought her so much memory. Those five days made her discover how it was to feel being special to someone— to feel loved and to love for the very first time. Seo Hyun nodded with that beautiful recollection in her mind.

 

“Let's do it again and complete the list from there...” Yong Hwa proposed. The way she was looking at him with that almost hallowed expression was scaring him. What if she said no? But he must keep his hopes up. Besides, he knows that she loves him too and he should hold on to that thought, “Let's see if we still have that chance to be together or if we're better off apart.”

 

If we're better off apart.

 

Her stomach churned just with that simple line. Not another eight years. Not another lifetime without him. She could not handle that anymore. The idea formed a lump in that it made her want to cry.

 

“I don't want to rush you.” His voice softened.

 

Yong Hwa continued with a mellow voice that almost sounded like lulling her to sleep. Finally, her tears were forming by the corners of her eyes that she has to thumb them off and hope he did not notice. But he did for he took her hand off her face and dried her tears with his fingers.

 

“You can think about it if you want,” he smiled while he ran his fingers on her cheeks trailing those gentle tears, “I will give you until tomorrow midnight to decide.”

 

“Tomorrow midnight?” She inquired holding on to his hands that were resting on her jaw.

 

“Yeah, unfortunately, Hyun, I'm not as patient as before. If I don't get a response until that time that would mean you have decided for us.” He snickered as if mocking her some more, “Who knows we are really destined to be just another step-siblings.”

 

She frowned. Jung Yong Hwa was so good in torturing her with those words, cutting her deep. Fixing a straight face, herself, she bobbed her head without taking her hands off his, “Y-yes, okay...”

 

Yong Hwa nodded and leaned down to rest his lips on her and with a gentle move, she let him kiss her deeper. It was another lingering kiss, soft and easy as if the world was waiting for them. No rush, no frenzy. If the way she was responding to him was already her answer then he didn't need the wait anymore. But still he needed to confirm it from her, at least, that was all she needed to do— decide for them.

 

As sudden as that kiss was, he released her but smiled carefully at her questioning eyes. Yong Hwa noticed that her tears were softly streaming down her cheeks again so he wiped them out until only a dew settled on the corner of her left eye. He smiled answering her own, “You know what? I was really looking forward to watching the sunset and sunrise with you...”

 

She smiled as her head fell on his chest. Closing her eyes, she listened to his heartbeat. Finally, she felt his arms enfolding her.

 

~~~

 

Yoona ran to him as he stood on the path looking at the beautiful structure in front of him. Nichkhun smiled as he watched her. Her hair tied in ponytail and that brown romper she was wearing brought back some memories from before. The years were good to her. She stopped just a step from him, “Hi, gorgeous...”

 

“I'm happy you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter