Chapter 5

Bloodlust

I look beside me but the body had disappeared. “I didn’t kill him. I only hurt him.” Chanyeol explained reaching out his hand to help me up. “But he was bleeding and he fell over without a fight.” I say distraught.

 

Though I was hesitant, I took his hand. “What was that…what are you?” I ask, my body shaking from fear and shock. He tosses me the jacket that he had over is sweatshirt. “I don’t want to scare you even more.”

 

Letting out a sigh, even I didn’t think I was ready to hear the truth from him. “One question. Please answer me honestly.” I say a little shy as we walk out of the alley. “Was that guy a vampire? Are you guys vampires…?”

 

The look on his face gave nothing away, “No… Neither of us are vampires… I’ll tell you one thing at a time. He was a ghoul.” He said. What he told me is sinking in very slowly. Normally I would never believe such words, but nothing about today has been normal. There was no room for me to think doubt Chanyeol. He almost became a murder protecting me.

 

Completely drained, I attempt to bid Chanyeol goodbye, “I’ll see you around. Thanks for the help Chanyeol.” He looks at me as though I was insane. Quickly he grabs my arm, stopping me from moving forward, “You can’t go home or even be alone for a while. It’s too dangerous. We don’t know if that ghoul is alone.”

 

His words instantly sent shivers down my back. I run through my options quickly, “I can stay with friends.” Chanyeol rejects the idea as soon as it escapes my mouth, “It’s either I stay a couple of nights at your place or you stay over at mine.”

 

I let out a nervous laugh. Though I am scared at the fact that there are “things” after me, it doesn’t instantly make me feel excited to have a stranger sleep in my apartment, or let alone me, stay at a stranger’s home. “I’m serious.” He says, his expression never wavering.

 

My apartment was a complete mess. “I’ll stay the night at your house.” I knew my decision was quite bold for a girl my age; beggars can’t be choosers, especially when I’m gambling with my life.

 

I follow Chanyeol to where he said he had parked his car. “Why don’t we report this to the police. I’ll tell them that we were attacked. There are two witnesses. They won’t doubt us.” I say as we drove through the freeway at such a fast speed.

 

He shook his head without taking his eyes off the road. “That won’t work.” He replied, as we pulled up to a house in a gated community. “Why not?” I protested as I follow him out of the car. “Because they won’t be able to see me.” He sighed, his voice sounding tired from all of my questions.

 

Before entering a large home he turns around to face me, “You’re the only human I’ve come across who can see me without having to use my ‘power’. That’s why I bonded you. I mean that’s why… ugh. Just…come on.” He let out in frustration.

 

The house is large, and sleek. Not a single speck of dust is detectable in the almost completely white interior. “All white?” I ask dropping the original conversation sensing his patience draining. “It leaves no place for shadows to hide.” He confessed disappearing somewhere in the house, his voice echoing as he spoke.

 

I sat on the couch remember the bond statement he made earlier. My mind instantly flashes a picture of the tattoo that now marked the back of my ear. “I don’t know exactly what humans eat… so here.” He said placing a cup noodles on the coffee table in front of me.

 

Suddenly I realize that I had left my friends without a word, “Can I borrow a phone? I really need to call someone.” I ask. His expression quickly changed from content to irritated. “Who are you going to call, that guy you’re always with?” He replies tossing me his cell phone.