Memories

Should we act like nothing's wrong?

She looked back at the past… five years had went by since that phone call, she once again looked down on her old diary and saw the little places where the ink had run off from her tears, she remember how hurt she was back then, how long it took her to recover from the blow of finding out the truth but now all that was left was a sense of having lost something that it will never return to her, but now when she thought about it, her heart not longer ache about it.

She put down the old notebook on the box and placed it at the back of the closet, after all what was the use for it now? Memories should remain in the past; lock away until they didn’t hurt anymore, right?

She heard her phone ringing to Taeyang’s Love You to Death, that was her and her fiancé’s song and since it was the one he had chosen when finally confessed to her; she moved along and pick up the phone.

“Ne, Oppa, I’m almost ready, ne, gwenchana, I’ll be right down, don’t worry, I told you I was just looking for my purse on the closet, I’m almost done” she said and cut off the call.

“Aish, I still can’t find anything in this place!” she said while quickly grabbing her black purse and threw her lipstick, phone, keys and some money on it. She took one last glance at the mirror, her teal dress fitted like a glove on her and she chuckle at the sight, she had swore to not use dresses, but if it’s a wedding, she must look the part.

She got to the basement of her apartment building and saw her boyfriend waiting for her in front of his car, looking dashingly handsome in a dark grey suit.

“Baby girl, you look beautiful!” Young Bae said to Soo Yun and leaned in to give her a quick peck “Sorry I didn’t come home last night, but the bachelor party kind of carry on until earlier today”

“Ne, I kind of knew it was going to happen, don’t worry about it, besides I trust you with my eyes close, although I just move in with you and you are already leaving me alone… I wonder what Omma would say about this? I mean she barely agreed to me moving in with you since it’s just one month away from our wedding, but if she knew how you really are…” she said and smirked at him.

“Ommonim loves me and you know it, I think she is the one that is happier about us getting married than even you” he replied to her with a smirk.

“I will admit that, boy I never thought that you were earning brownie points with her all those years. But Oppa, but I still don’t feel comfortable wearing this dress” she said pouting, while throwing her now natural black hair behind her ear, after years of dying it, she had decided to go for a natural look on her upcoming wedding date.  

“But you look so pretty in them, but I do love how you look when you are only wearing a shirt, especially if they are mine” he said, giving her a quick peck and making his way to the driver’s seat.

“Yah! Young Bae!” Soo Yun said laughing, never in a million years she had suspected she was going to end up with the one guy she had consider only as her big brother… and it was funny, because it wasn’t until Young Bae enlisted that she realized how she truly felt for him, it took her only 6 months of not being around him to make her realize that the relationship between Oppa-donsaeng wasn’t the only thing binding them together, that her heart crave for him like she never thought it could.

For Young Bae seeing her smiling was a small victory, for her seeing him happy by her side was all that he could ask for. Thanks to him, she had conquer so much and let go of her baggage. With him, she never had to hide anything, since he knew every dark secret about her and he loved her even more for it.

Young Bae had showed her he didn’t care about looks, weight, scars or health. She had hesitated so much at first, believing he deserved so much better than her, he fought her to make her believe that the only one for him was her.

Something that was clear for Soo Yun, was that she didn’t regret the decision she had taken that summer night five years ago, she had given her all and decided to let go, let go and never look back, but today, she was about to look back one more time, but this time it will be different, since now she was smiling, now she had made peace with her past.

After a 30 minute drive, the couple arrived to the hotel where Jiyong was finally getting married, Bae had to arrive earlier as his part of the best man and as the one in charge of the congratulatory song. It had being so many years of not seeing him and that had help her to let go and heal, now she was sure she was going to be able to face him like nothing ever happened.

Bae gave her a kiss goodbye and made his way into the room looking for Jiyong, Soo Yun began walking to the room were the bride was, after all they had became friends thanks to their boyfriends, but when she was walking down she met Choi Dong Wook carrying his eldest daughter in his arms.

“OMO, Dong Wook Oppa, how long has it been? Wow is this Jin Ah? She is so big now! How is Han Byul Unnie?” Soo Yun said and saw the 4 year old smiling shyly to her.

“Jin Ah, say hello to Soo Yun Imo” Dong Wook said and the little one let out a soft annyeonghaseyo.

“Han Byul is coming over later; the little rascal of Jino didn’t stop crying when he saw us leave, so she had to stay behind, since Eun Bi is Ji’s flower girl we came earlier” Dong Wook replied to her.

“Awww kyeopta! But Jino is just 2 years old, is normal for him to cry when he sees her omma leaving” Soo Yun replied and began walking with Dong Wook and his daughter to where the bride was waiting.

“So Soo Yun-ah, how are things going with Young Bae, is he giving you a hard time?”

“Ani, Oppa, he is nothing but sweet with me” she said smiling at the thought of Bae.

“Aigoo, look at that smile, you look like a school girl talking about his crush” he said with a smirk on his face.

“Aish, Oppa, stop teasing, besides Bae is not a crush, he is the real deal” she said while showing him the ring on her left hand, but before Dong Wook could say something else, they heard little Jin Ah yelling.

“Samchon!!!” the little girl said and run to her uncle’s arms.

Soo Yun looked up and there he was, Choi Seung Hyun, he hadn’t changed that much, after all he was only in his thirties, he was sporting a black tux and was now carrying his niece in his arms making his way to where his brother was, but she still hadn’t seeing the girl that was standing behind him.

“Hyung, is being a long time” Seung Hyun said to his brother.

“This punk, almost 3 months without showing your face to your brother and this is what you say?” Dong Wook said and moved to the side, so Soo Yun was now in plain sight for Seung Hyun to see her.

Four years, he had enlisted one year earlier than the rest of the guys and since when he come out, the other ones where on duty, they didn’t had a reason to meet. The only time they saw each other was briefly and was when he was on a holiday of his duties, they saw each other on the streets, but that was about it.

“Annyeong Seung Hyun-ah, is being a long time” Soo Yun said but surprisingly this time her voice didn’t quiver and she didn’t felt her heart racing due to pain, this time she only felt peace.

“Annyeong Soo Yun-ah, is really being a long time” he said putting down his niece and Dong Wook took the girl with him to give them some privacy.

“Ne, I think 3 years?” she said.

“More like 4… so how you being? Is it true you and Bae are getting married?” he said but felt a small sharp of pain in his heart after asking that question, deep down he didn’t want to hear the answer, despite he already knew it.

“Ne, we are actually just one month away from the big day” she said looking at her engagement ring in her hand and smiling.

That smile, he thought, it was the same smile she used to give him in the past, he had forgotten how warm was her smile, how it still made him warm inside even after all this time apart.

“I can honestly said congratulations, I never expect for you two to end up together, I think the only one that saw it coming was Daesung” he said, not wanting to reveal the fact that he probably was the first one to know about how Young Bae felt about her.

“Don’t worry; neither did us, it just happen, I mean one moment we were just best friends and now we are getting married. He was there for me when I needed him the most and he has being patient enough to hang in there for me, what else could I ask for? But how have you being? I heard you are also dating someone?” she said.

“Yes, but is still kind of recent” he said, “but she isn’t even remotely like you” was what he wanted to say.

“Good luck, I know she must be one of a kind to be with the mighty Choi Seung Hyun, I really hope it works out between you guys” she said and  he knew she meant it, one thing that he knew she never did was tell him a lie.  

“Hey jagi” Young Bae said as he came walking down to meet her, without noticing who was she talking to, as soon as he got closer he hold her hand and looked up, just to saw his hyung. It hadn’t being easy for them and a part of Young Bae hadn’t quite forgiven Seung Hyun but he knew that if Soo Yun had let go, he also had to, so they had patch things up on his own way.

“Oh hyung, when did you get here?” he said without letting go of Soo Yun’s hand

“Just got here, I was catching up with Soo Yun, but I need to get going, I need to go congratulate Jiyong, really this punk, how is it that he is already getting married before his hyung” Seung Hyun said and nodded his head in goodbye.

Soo Yun laugh at the remark, guess Seung Hyun will never truly change, he still had that bingu side on him.

“Awww this laugh is just like music to my ears” Bae said, wrapping his arms around her waist.

“Oppa, sometimes you are so cheesy I get nauseous” she said joking “is everything set? I was about to go greet Hana, but Dong Wook Oppa and Seung Hyun stop me mid way”

“Oh, ne, everything is ready, I was about to come get you so we could go take our photos with Ji and Hana-ah” he said giving her a quick peck on her cheek.

“Jinjja? Kaja” Soo Yun said smiling.

Young Bae looked at Soo Yun and he knew, she was ok, he was afraid after he saw her talking with his hyung, after all it had being a long time since they last met, but he knew her like the palm of his hand, it only took him one glace to confirm that she had let go and she was in peace.

The ceremony was intimate but romantic, with a touch of Jiyong’s taste all over it. They ate, they drank and enjoy the evening. At the end of the affair, all of the old friends where seating in the same table, including Jiyong and his bride, chatting away of the old times and laughing at the memories they had share.

Young Bae put his arm around Soo Yun that was laughing nonstop at a story Seungri was telling, he was fresh out of the army just two weeks ago and was telling an anecdote he had encounter with his sergeant.

Eun Bi was shaking her head at her fiancés antics, they had gotten engaged three days ago, just one week after the pregnancy test turned positive and an ultrasound confirmed she was already 6 weeks into her pregnancy. Soo Yun still remembered telling Seungri that he sure didn’t waste time when he had his last holiday’s while in the army, it only took him a week to get her pregnant.

Soo Yun looked to Bae and he wiped the tears of laughter that were coming out of her eyes, she smiled to him and cuddled a little bit while listening to the rest of the story.

After Seungri finish his story, Jiyong got up and began to say his goodbyes to his friends, thanking them for coming, Soo Yun took the moment to observe the people getting up from the table, they there were the people that had in one way or another, being by her side in the last 14 years.

She then set her eyes on Seung Hyun and couldn’t help but smile, she never thought she could ever predicted what happen to them, after all they seem like the perfect pair of friends and to all eyes, the match made in heaven for a happy couple; but now they had limited to say their regards and wish for each other’s well being.

But she didn’t regret anything; after all life had showed her to not take anything for granted, that fighting for what we want is ok but is also good to know when to give up, that some friends come and go from our lives to help us grow but they don’t necessarily remain by our sides forever, but they do linger in our hearts in that special box were we store our memories.

Soo Yun placed her arm embracing Young Bae and his boyfriend gave her a quick kiss on her forehead; life is a tricky path, she thought, life gives and takes, it took away her family, her sanity for a while, even her will for living. Life showed her that her time with Seung Hyung had already concluded and that no matter how much you fight for it, it takes two to make work any kind of relationship.

Her life also showed her something, something that she didn’t knew she had it in her; the courage to face whatever it may come, she now knew what her true value was, she knew her life wasn’t condition to the lives of the other people that took part on hers; but to the choices she made on how to run her life.

That it was ok to ask for help when she couldn’t handled things on her own anymore, that it was ok to let people in, that crying her heart out was normal; and that the least suspected of friends could be the answer to all of her prayers.

But most importantly, life had also give her the time to heal and to learn to love again, but this time she understood that her true love, was no other than herself.

~The End~

 

--------

A/N: 
And now Should we act like nothing's wrong s is officially finished. I want to thank everyone that took the time to read and support this story, to all of my silent readers and to everyone that took the time each week to leave a comment, a special shout to my friends Elleally and creyes1978, for becoming a source of confort and laughs in the process of writing this story... 


I actually have a big confession to make, many of you will probably had already figure it out... To be honest, this story is based in a real life story, my own... I would like to say that this story was made up from the corners of my imagination, but no, everything that I wrote down happen to me, from the happy moments to the lowest ones, sure I took some writing liberties, but in a few details, otherwise the story would had being stuck in some parts, but the main events, the conversations, all happen in real life.  

Thats why sometimes some chapters felt like an never ending circle, but that was how it happen, when you lost so much in such a small frame of time, you try to hang on however you can, not caring on how much pain you are inflicting to yourself. 

The reason I decided to write down my story was to get closure, all the pain that you have felt that SY endure was my own, but unfortunately the SH in my life never came back to me to tell me why he did what he did and I am not going to lie saying that I have completely move on, but actually through your comments each week it help me realize it wasnt my fault and that I deserved to let go, so a BIG THANK YOU to all of you. 

I also didnt choose to hide the facts about self harming and depression, being on and off meds, being kick out of work, or struggling with my family, because I am not ashamed of it and if by sharing it, someone else can feel empower to get help like I did, that will be even more meaningful for me than getting closure. 

Also, I made a small playlist for songs that I listened non stop while writing this story, you can check it out here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDCqcegGO8-8E8WGOl0OXXfeGUpKhjuQt

Thank you all for jumping into this 10 month journey with me, for giving me the chance to share my story with all of you and for being my companions in my journey to start a new chapter in my life. 

I also will take a small break from writing until next year (is only 3 weeks, 4 tops, I promise!), I have being writing non stop since 2012 and this last story took a big toll on my emotions, having to relive some moments were hard and they drain me out, so I hope that by resting, I will be back in 2016 with fresh new stories. In the mean time, feel free to check out my other stories, also if you don't want to miss my return, go to my profile and subscribe to me as an author or add me as a friend, I am always here to talk. 

Thank you all once again and for reading this long note, you guys are the best gift I could have ask for, thanks for opening your minds and hearts to my story, I love you all...

Until we meet again, 
~sayurimei.