A Chance

Should we act like nothing's wrong?

“Earth to Soo Yun, Unnie snap out of it” Eun Bi said to Yun snapping her fingers in front of her face, after placing a plate with fruit in the table of Eun Bi’s place.

Soo Yun was sleeping over that day over at Eun Bi’s since they had to finish a project due in two days and there was still a lot of planning left to do.

“Sorry Eun Bi” the girl said, placing down her phone on the floor, after replying a text.

“Are you texting Seung Hyun?” she asked her, but her friend knew the answer before Soo Yun could nod back.

"Unnie I just can’t seem to understand, why are you trying so hard to cling onto your friendship with Seung Hyun? I mean people change, they drift away, why is he so different?" Eun Bi asked Yun while munching on a piece of apple she just had cut.

"Eun Bi it isn’t as easy as everybody thinks, getting over a friend is like trying to rip away a piece of your own body. At first you don’t seem to see what is going on, you are numb, in shock, afraid to admit the truth of what is going on.

Then as time begins to pass by, things begin to unfold before your eyes. No more texts, barely an acknowledgement if you ran into each other in the streets. But like always, there is an undeniable truth that scares you into the corner of your inner soul, what if?

To be honest, for me, this isn’t the first time I lose my best male friend" Yun said taking a bite of the apple that Eun Bi had placed in the plate in front of them.

"You mean Dong Wook-sshi? But I mean he had it coming, you shouldn’t be sulking about it"

"Ani, it wasn’t Dong Wook. Actually, it had happen so far long ago, that even now I could barely remember it. It happen when I turned 16, just the same year I had just started to became acquainted with Dong Wook. There was this guy Jay, that had being my best friend ever since 7th grade when I had switch schools.

He had this incredible appealing personality, so different to what I was used to it. At first it was a mutual admiration, we were both smart with the difference, that he unlike me, didn’t had to put on too much effort. The way he appealed to my mind was the reason he became my first crush”

“Awww so cute” Eun Bi said and took another piece of fruit while paying her undivided attention to the story.

“This girl haha, well yes, but I didn’t tell him, I was terrified of the idea of confessing, after all when all those feelings began I was only 13 and also because another guy had also caught my eye at that time, Joon Suk.

Joon Suk unlike Jay, didnt care to show he was interested in me, at least through 7th and 8th grade and it actually became a bit uncomfortable, because it reach to the point that the two guys could barely stand each other and were always jealous that I spend too much time with the other”

“Uuuuh, unnie you were quite the heartbreaker”

“Sure I was such a heartbreaker that I still haven’t had a proper boyfriend, thank you very much. But let me get to the point. The summer of 8th grade, Joon Suk and I had a little disagreement and with it die any chance of the two of us ever becoming a couple, but we still remind good friends, to the point that later on I became one of the 1st ones to know about Joon Suk coming out of the closet when we were in university”

“Wait, your first potential boyfriend is GAY!?” Eun Bi practically yelled while dropping the cup of water she was having.

“Aish, look at the mess you just did, yes he is gay, big deal” Yun said passing her friend some toilet paper to clean up her mess.

“Sorry, I didn’t see that one coming” she said while cleaning up the floor and seating again to hear the rest.

“Well, as I was saying, the small separation that happen between Joon Suk and I, only made my feelings for Jay intensify, and Jay knew very well about them, since one of my such call “friends” had spill the beans on Jay, without my knowledge, especially because she was jealous on the fact that I could so easily be friends with all the other guys in our classroom, I mean I had always being the chubby sick classmate, so to be honest I was never a treat, and I never even wanted to be the kingka in our school. They were plenty other pretty girls to do that job"

"That … Well what happen when he knew about it? Did he tell you something? Did he like you back?" Eun Bi asked, acting up like a bouncy teenager.

"I already knew that he didn’t like me back and I was trying hard to fold my feelings for him. And that’s when Dong Wook came into my life like a breath of fresh air. He was different, he was older, wiser and not in our school.

Jay got so pissed off when I snuck out of class to talk with Dong Wook on the phone, especially since Joon Suk loved to tease me about it whenever I came back"

"So he did like you!"

"It wasn’t like that; he was simply pissed off that he no longer had his loyal servant that used to focus all of her attention on him. I kind of understand him, we were really close, we used to tell each other everything, who we like, who we dislike, he took my things and I knew I just had to open up his backup to get them out without asking first. He used to come over to my place to eat and waste time.

But when we reached 10th grade, he began to push me away, then I talk to him telling him to get his together and we made up. Until one day...

I used to have this over protective friend in class, who I knew will never lie to me, he came over to tell me that he had overheard Jay talking to my such call girl friends of that time, badmouthing me, making fun of my weight, my health and other stuff that he felt bad enough not to tell me.

And you know me and my temper... I snap, and confront him and the three little es. The girls were lost for words, because I had never stand up for myself in front of them and tell them to get a live, instead of being stuck up es that had so low self esteem that they had the need to poison other lives"

"Wow unnie, I would had totally pay money to see their faces" Eun Bi said holding on to her laughter.

"And then I turn on to Jay, he knew I was disappointed on him, but he said the magic word to get on my good side: Sorry. And then I slap him hard on the face. Because right then I realize he didn’t meant it, he was just saying it to save himself my rant"

"You? Nam Soo Yun , slapped a guy?"

"Yes, to the point my hand print stayed on his cheek for 2 days. He had it coming, after I slap him, I told him: you are forgiven, just don’t let me down again"

"What did he said?"

"That day nothing much, but the next morning he had made a 180°change, he was back at being my friend and a part of me was hesitating but a bigger part was happy. But as weeks went by, he began making excuses to not hang out, he stopped replying my texts and despite we were classmates, we became that... Just classmates.

I asked around with his friends, but none gave me a valid reason on why he simply turned his back on me, on us. And before I knew it, I was left alone... No friends, I had lost my best friend of 3 years.

He simply ignored me and walked out of my life and I simply let him..." Soo Yun said.

"But what happened? Did you two just ignore each other until graduation?"

"I made new friends and yes, he kept on ignoring me until graduation. And I won’t lie, those final year and a half of seeing him across the class, broke my heart.

I was blessed to have my new friends to hang on and that’s how Dong Wook became a big part of my life back then, he came to my rescue when I was drowning and he introduce me to Seung Hyun, on my last year of high school.

After the whole Jay mishap, of not knowing why he had pull away, I had bowed myself to never let that happen again, to never let someone go that was so important to me without a fight. Or at least without a valid reason on why they were leaving"

"Unnie, no wonder why you keep having a little bit of hope with Seung Hyun"

"That’s one reason, the other one is because you can’t compare the friendship Jay and I had, with what Seung Hyun and I have. Jay and I were immature kids, competing on grades, surviving adolescence.

Seung Hyun and I went together through our first years as young adults, always leaning on each other when things get rough with classes, friends or life. I was there for him when their parents divorced, I help him move out, he helped me when I found out of my father cheating on my mom, he kept me on tabs whenever he saw my mood changing"

"Unnie, you must me talking about Young Bae Oppa, you are getting them mix up"

"No, me and Bae were close at that time, but never as close as Seung Hyun and I were, I mean when Seung Hyun's parents divorced, he practically move in with us, despite the disapproving looks of my grandpa of a guy spending that much time at our place, that’s why it hurt me not having Seung Hyun at my grandpa's funeral. He was the only one that personally knew almost all my family members; he had even shared meals with them. 

I only came really close with Bae around the end of 2007, when we ended up together in our seminar class, and by that time I had already being a friend of Seung Hyun for almost 2 years. Sure Seung Hyun and I became even closer after he figure out Dong Wook and I had nothing going on, but we still were pretty close, after I ended things with his hyung, that’s when we practically became attached by the hip"

"Wow Unnie, I never imagined you had so much history together, I seriously believe you had befriend them all at the same time by the way you all are, especially the way you and Bae act"

"I met them all through Seung Huyn, but I didn’t hang with them a lot until I got into university in 2007. And Bae and I are something else. Young Bae is not just my friend; he is my soul mate, is like the missing part of my soul that is only whole when I have him around"

"You sound like you like him" Eun Bi friend while pinching her cheek, something Yun absolutely hated.

"YAH! GIZIBE!!! Cut it out!!! My feelings for Bae are platonic love, agape, are you trying to taint my pure love for him with your dirty thoughts??"

"Unnie so you do love Bae Oppa?"

"Of course I do, you idiot... Like I love my omma or even you when you aren't pissing me off" Soo Yun said smiling at her friend.

"Well you never know when that love can change..." Eun Bi said almost in a murmur, only auditable for herself.

"Mworago? What are you babbling about?" Yun asked her with a stern look on her face.

"Aniya, but really unnie, now I think I understand you better for giving him another chance. I mean, you just want to save what you had or if that is not meant to happen, you want to know why"

"Finally you get it, my little grasshopper" Yun said, picking up some water and drinking down some, that little trip down memory lane always had an exhausting effect on her.

"But have you caved in to his invitations to hang out? Or are you sticking to texts?" Eun Bi asked.

"Just texts, I still don’t think I can face him face to face, just the two of us, before strangling him, a part of me is really pissed off with him and before doing something I might regret later, he must resign himself to texts. Besides, that’s how I’m getting in touch with everyone these days.

I mean, I only talk to you face to face because all our classes are together, otherwise we will never see each other, and we are swamp with work"

"I know Unnie, Ri Oppa is always nagging me that we barely spend time together now, I have to keep reminding him to just wait 2 more months until we will be free again"

"Tell Ri that if he bothers you again he will have to deal with me"

"Hahahaha I will, I still don’t know why he is so afraid of you" Eun Bi said laughing.

"Because he knows that if he pisses me off, I’ll complained to Ji Oppa and that will be the end of our maknae as we know it"

"Now that you bring Ji Oppa into the conversation, Unnie why don’t you just go out with him? Is clear that he has a small crush on you"

"And he can keep carrying that torch all the time he wants, don’t get me wrong, Ji is a sweetheart, but he isnt my kind of guy. Plus he only shows his "crush symptoms" when he has being single for too long, so that’s why I and neither should you should pay attention to his dumb tactics"

"Soo Yun Unnie you never failed to amaze me how well you know the guys" Eun Bi said while smiling.

"Why shouldn’t I know them well? They are after all my friends" she said smiling back, but a small pang of pain surface in her heart "Well, you know almost all of them well" she thought and immediately look out the window of Eun Bi’s room, seeing the autumn wind tumbling down the leaves from the trees, not wanting to give away to her friend, how hurt she was feeling right now.

 

-----

A/N: Hi guys! I hope this update sheds some light on why SY acts the way she does around SH. I will love to hear what you have to say, is she being way to leniant or actually true to her resolutions? 
Do you think SH has it in him to truly change his ways? What do you think must be going on in his head? 
ALSO SORRY TO MY BAE SHIPPERS, lol, i realize I broke  a few hearts XD your time shall come my dears, he is coming back soon dont worry! 
until next time
~sayurimei