Maybe everything's not lost

Should we act like nothing's wrong?

“Ne, don’t worry, I’ll call you when I get back Ji, I promise! Yes, I won’t bail again, I told you already” Soo Yun said and finished her phone call.

“Jiyong Oppa is bothering you again?” Eun Bi, who was seating next to her, asked.

“Ne, He told me that if I missed his belated birthday party he was going to kill me, aish, sometimes he is more needy than a girl” she replied to her friend and place her phone on her purse and began staring out the window to the landscape that was rushing through.

It was finally August; the first month of the final semester of the girls major; they were currently on their way to a work trip with children for one of their classes and the place was two hours away from their university. They had being split up in pairs to work and naturally Eun Bi had ended up with Soo Yun, ever since the two girls got to better know each other they had naturally became closer, Eun Bi even had become one more of the gang and Soo Yun had become the shelter for Eun Bi whenever Seungri felt like misbehaving.

Eun Bi had become one of the few, along with Young Bae, that knew what was currently going on between Soo Yun and Seung Hyun and the girl couldn’t help herself to give him a glare whenever Seungri brought her along and he was there, while Soo Yun wasn’t.  

The girls had become even closer that final year, not only because they spend almost all their days together due to classes and projects, but because finally Bae had managed to get himself a girlfriend, Hyorin; and Soo Yun didn’t want to get in the way of her friend’s happiness, she felt like she had already hold him back too much with her own drama all this years.

Eun Bi had tried multiple times to set Soo Yun up with some of her friends, but Soo Yun didn’t bulge, she always told her:

How do you expect me to go out with someone or even fall in love with someone else, when I’m not even confident of loving myself? Do you think that if I loved myself enough, I will still let that idiot to have so much power over me?”

Soo Yun still went out and that help her to meet new people, but she never let anyone get close enough to the point of being able to ask her out.

Soo Yun felt the weight of Eun Bi’s head on her shoulder and smiled, she never imagined after all this time to be able to have a friend this close that wasn’t one of the guys, but she was grateful that despite knowing the drama that meant being her friend, Eun Bi hadn’t bailed on her.

Yun woke Eun Bi up when it was their turn to be dropped off in their assigned elementary school, that day they had to give a small talk to kinder garden children, but as soon as the pair walked in, they were receive by the news that the school had mixed up the dates and the kids were out in a field trip.

That meant having to call their professors, wait around an hour to be picked up and be assigned to a different school with another two of their classmates. After many changes, it was just 11am and the girls had to wait until after lunch to be able to get their practice done.

Soo Yun was teasing Eun Bi while they were seated under cover, overseen the playground, watching the rain falling down, until Lee Hyori’s Amor Mio began sounding like crazy.

“Unnie, when are you going to change that ringtone? Is like you’re asking to be always down” Eun Bi said to her, while Yun reached out for her bag.

“I love this song, get over it” she said while reaching in her bag to fish out her phone.

“I like it better when it was it’s Over by Lee Hi” she replied but saw her friends shock look and reached to her side “Unnie what’s wrong? Your face is white”

Yun showed her who was calling her and both girls jaws dropped, the screen was clearly showing one name: Bingu Seung Hyun

Soo Yun took a deep breath and picked up the call.

“Yoboseyo?” she managed to say trying to act as cool as she could, although her mind was going through a mini breakdown… it had being almost a year and a half since she had seeing his name on her phone screen.

“Yun-ah, how you been?” he casually replied to her.

“I’m ok” she said and got up, since Eun Bi was practically leaning over her to try to hear what he was saying, and tried to find a quiet place to talk.

“It’s good to hear, I was wondering if you wanted to go grab lunch with me, I had to come near your university and I imagined you’ll be in classes, are you up for it?”

 “Oh really… Sorry, but actually I’m not in classes today”

“Did you get sick, are you ok?” he asked her with a worried tone.

Soo Yun rolled her eyes, she didn’t know what to make out of his tone of voice, him, worried about her?

“Aniyo, today we had to come on some kind of field practice outside Seoul, that’s why I can’t grab lunch with you” she said and could see Eun Bi staring at her, like demanding knowing what was going on.

“Don’t worry; it was my bad for not asking in advance. So how are things going? Dae told me you are in your last semester, so cool” he replied with his old tone of voice, the one she had missed all this time, the one he only reserved for her.

“Everything is going ok, I mean we just started, so far so good. It’s a bit tiring I’m not going to deny it, but knowing I’m so close to finish it, gives me strength to endure it”

“I know you can make it, I mean you are Nam Soo Yun, you can pretty much do anything”

Is he for real?” was what came through her mind before replying back “Thanks, so how you been?”

“Ok, work is being kind of tiring lately; I’m actually looking for another place to work at, the hours aren’t quite working out for me lately, I mean, even my mom has being telling me she rarely sees me, she even got Hyung to call me to nag me about it” he said and let out a goofy laugh.

“Well it wouldn’t be the first time ahjumma does that, back in the day the one that got her calls was me. I still remember when she call my mom worried because you haven’t visit or call her in almost 2 weeks and my mom told her you were practically living at our place, eating over almost every night. She scolded you so bad that time” she said laughing at the memories.

“Oh God, I don’t know what was worse, my mom’s or your mom’s scolding. I was so embarrassed with your mom, when it was you the one that used to call me over”

“Me? Please, I had to almost kick you out every night, otherwise you will had ended up sleeping in my bed”

“Well, you did have a pretty comfortable bed back then. Plus, is not like I haven’t already slept on it” he said laughing and she was pretty sure he said the last phrase with a smirk on his face.

“You only slept on it because I couldn’t kick you out! Although I still remember the time you first met with my Dad” Yun said laughing, she couldn’t believe how comfortable she was feeling talking again with him, despite all.

“Oh, not that time… I am still embarrassed to dead; it was your entire fault”

“Did I tell you to get on my bed to watch that movie? No I did not, there was a perfectly good chair in my room but you chose to lay down. Although I still can’t figure out what was funnier, the look on my dad’s face when he came in and saw you taking most of my bed, while I was in a corner of it or your face when he said hello and asked for your name”.

“I was so embarrassed; I still don’t know what I said to him. I think that if I see him again, I don’t know how I will act around him”

“Please you will act all casual, like the time he saw us coming back from the cinema after we watch Slumdog Millionaire, he even asked you if it was only us and you told him yes. I almost hit you! But that’s nothing compared to the time you and Dong Wook left me alone with your father, the same day I met first met him and he ask me which one of you guys was my boyfriend. I almost died of embarrassment there, hell I was only 18 and when you guys came back both of you gave me a hug and your dad just rolled his eyes”

“I had forgotten that, hahahaha, I keep forgetting you are like a walking encyclopedia of random events, you never forget anything, you remember even the things people were wearing”

“Is not my fault my brain only works for those things, why does my super power have to be remembering random things that don’t matter? Why I can’t remember the things I learn in class everyday that easily?”

“Still struggling with classes?”

“More like surviving them… I was so waiting to finish my classes and have a break before starting grad school, but we just got noticed that grad school begins earlier, so no break for us” she said sighing and Eun Bi got up, but Yun simply shake her hand, sending her away.

“So you already decided to enroll in grad school, that’s a big step Yun, do you feel ready for it?”

“Yes, I mean, getting a job only with my major is really difficult, most jobs asked for more preparation, so I decided to just get it over it now that I’m still used to studying. I think that stopping and then coming back will be more difficult at the end”

“Well, I know you can do it. I promise that by the time you finish I will take you out to celebrate, just us, like old times” he said and she felt her heart take a leap again.

They kept on talking for almost an hour, like if nothing had happen in all this time apart, until Eun Bi called her out, telling her that it was almost time for them to go with the kids.

“Are they calling for you?” he asked her in a sad tone, like if he didn’t want to say goodbye.

“Yes, the kids are back from lunch, so our turn to interact with them is up” she said and a part of her also didn’t wanted for this call to end up.

“I see… text me when you get back in Seoul, I want to know you arrived safely”

“Hum, sure Seung Hyun-ah, sorry but I got to go” Yun said.

“I know, take care, I had really miss this”

“Miss what?” she couldn’t help on asking.

“Us, talking… I have missed you, Yun. Take care, let’s talk again some other time” he said.

“Sure, take care” she said ending the phone call and feeling her heart racing a 1000km per second.

Eun Bi came closer and saw her friends face blushing.

“Unnie you ok there?”

“I seriously don’t know” she said trying to get a grip of herself and began walking towards the classroom.

“What did he said?” Eun Bi asked her.

“That he missed me” she finally said out loud and look to her friend.

“Mworago? He misses you?”

“Yes”

“So now what? Are you guys ok, or what? Are you just going to let him have it so easily after all this time?” Eun Bi told her, snapping Yun’s bubble.

“I don’t know… I don’t know that should I do now, all that I know is that perhaps everything is not lost between us” Yun said before entering to the classroom full of kids. 

 

----

A/N: sorry I didnt update last weekend, life happen! 

What do you think about this new development, is ok for SH to try it again, should SY give him another chance? Cant wait to see what you guys think about it...
~sayurimei