Next Day

Drops of Gold

        I woke up from my sleep feeling a searing pain. Blood seeped through my clothes and smeared into my sheets. 'Period time again?' You would think that being immortal, I wouldn't have a period but yes, it happens.

        My cramps felt like a jousting or sword fight wound. I needed to get up and grab some of the pills in the pharmaceuticals aisle. As I waddled to the aisle, I passed by the automatic doors that seemed to show the presence of a person. Quickly, I grabbed the pills and hid myself. The stranger entered. 'You should've put bells or sirens around the place.'

        "Leela! It's me Kai!". I came out from hiding, straightened my back, and put on a calm face. No way was I going to let him see me in pain. Walking calmly, I noticed that he had a bag over his shoulder and multiple scratches and bruises on him.

        "Um Hi?", I greeted unsure of what he was doing here. "What happened? Did you go to war or something?"

        "No, I just went into the city and had a tuffle with a group of people".

        "A tuffle?"

        Kai nodded at me. "You know. A fight."

        "I know what it means. I'm just shocked that you use that word". He must be really smart. "Anyways, you were almost caught by the police weren't you?"

        "Yes, but that was after. Why am I even telling you this? I just came to give you this". He handed his backpack to me. Inside, there were various medication and currencies. Everything I needed to survive was in this pack including a couple of weapons.

        "You were jumped because you stole some stuff". I knew he was grateful that no one ever went into the fog, unless you were in desperate need of it. 

        "I almost forgot to tell--Leela, why are you hunched over? Why are you still in your PJ's?"

        "Oh sorry. I tend to oversleep and...I have a slouch"> I felt my stomach swirl the soup of pain and vomit. The vomit making its way up my throat like a slowly erupting volcano. I tried to swallow but it made the feeling worse.

        He narrowed his eyes at me. "Well okay. Make sure you use the vaccinations and medication everyday. It will help you not to get any weird diseases you can catch down here".

        I swallowed the upcoming vomit before grabbing his backpack. As I turned around to set it down, I heard him. He didn't make a sound that was audible but I could hear him try to hide his laugh. "What?"

        "You're bleeding through your pants. Period huh?", he commented. I felt a slight blush creep on my face as I sighed inwardly. "That's weird. Girls take shots for that so they don't go through the blood and cramps. Most girls don't even get a period nowadays. It's that control stuff""

        "I'm pretty old-fashioned but I'd try using it".

        "You only take the shot once in your lifetime, crazy". I forgot about that. You take the shot once but when you want kids, you just take another shot to counteract it. 

        "Oh". He held the syringe next to my arm before holding onto it. 'That needle looks super pointy and looks like I could die from it'. Kai's long and skinny fingers curled themselves around my upper arm area. They were cold like his face always conveyed. 'He's even got the cold hands like an old-fashioned doctor'. He pressed his thumb onto a vein while reaching in his bag for a sanitary wipe. Gently, he swiped it over my skin, deceiving me into thinking that this process would be painless. Eyes focused on  the target, he poked the needle into my arm. It didn't necessarily hurt but it had an excruciating numbing effect. After pulling the needle out, Kai placed a Mickey Mouse bandage on my arm. 

        "Say something, please. I don't understand how you're so quiet". I didn't notice that I wasn't breathing until I gasped for air. 'Must've been trapped in my mind to not notice.' "It didn't hurt that bad. Are you sure that much of a scaredy-cat?"

        "No. I just drifted into my own little world and didn't realize". I looked at him to see him laughing at me. 'Big mistake a-hole.' My mind and rage seemed to control my actions at that moment. I had swung my fist and punched his jaw, roughly. Realizing what I just did, I immediately apologized.

        "It's fine. You're not the only one who has hit me today".

        "Why do you keep agitating me? Go away!"

        Kai's face twinged a bit at the corner of his eyes. He gave no argument and just left without a word, taking his bag and backpack with him. 'He gets it. Don't mess with the ing bull. Hell! Don't with this rock during mother nature's erosion because this rock will knock you out, son!'

        My body just dropped itself on the bed and din't move the rest of the day. Besides going to the bathroom, changing, and eating, I didn't do much else. The shot seemed to last the rest of the week so I guess that it worked. 'Maybe I should take the real shot next time'.