Keep It Moving

Drops of Gold

I woke up as soon as the sun rose up. Kai was still asleep next to the charred wood pile. 'It's really early so maybe I'll find some place to bathe'. I grabbed my bag and walked my way through the openings of the trains. At the last train, there was a forest next to the train track. Everything that was once green, was now a burnt brown color, poking out at me with sharp branches. There were no traces of little animals, not even worms to show signs of life. 

I hurriedly maneuvered my way through the sharp edges and found a river. The water was fresh, clean, and clear. Years and years of being untouched by human hands and human made inventions must have made it filter itself out. 
Running my fingers through the running water, I tested the temperature of the fresh water. The water was lukewarm in my hands. As I got in to bathe I checked my surroundings, looking to avoid another embarrassing moment with Kai as a witness. 

I instantly relaxed the moment I settled into the water. 'You need to hurry up in here. Can't take too long when you know someone is gonna come looking for you', I reminded myself. After about a good 10 minutes of bathing and playing in the water, trying to find little fish, I quickly got dressed and headed back to our little campsite. Kai was still asleep which left me enough time to start a fire and make breakfast with some bags of bread and whatever else I found in the supplies.

I made a breakfast consisting of toast, slim Jims, canned fruits, and some lemonade using water from the river and powdered lemonade mix. " Wake up, Kai". I shook him gently as he woke up. He gradually opened his brown eyes and sat up with his hair matted to his head. He peered at me with his hand covering his eyes due to the bright light coming through the fog. He didn't say anything as he got up from his spot, stretched, and walked away to brush his teeth next to one of the trains. "Kai, there is a river close by to bathe in. I can show you where it is if you need it". He nodded at me as he finished brushing his teeth. Kai ate the random breakfast I made before signaling me to show me that he wanted to shower. 

"You're not a talker in the morning are you?", I joked. He just blinked nonchalantly as I guided him through the dead forest. His eyes had some dark circles under it as if he was awake the whole night. It made me feel a little guilty for waking him up. We arrived at the river, quickly. "Well, here you go. I already checked the water for anything dangerous. It's safe and clean so you don't have to worry about anything while you bathe". He nodded at me and turned away before stripping off his shirt. I walked away making sure he couldn't see me as I hid behind the trees, with my disposable camera I brought. 'This'll teach him to spy on me', I thought as I was getting ready to get revenge on him. Kai, completely in his birthday suit, walked into the shallow part of the water before jumping into the deeper end. He was completely under the water as I stole his clothes and bundled them up into a ball in my arm. 

He was free of dirt as he resurfaced. His skin glistened with water streaking down his face and shoulders. 'I know that dip woke him up'. Kai swam around for a bit in the water, floating on his back and soaking up some of the light. I wasn't hesitant to say that he was handsome but I stopped myself right there as I thought it was an inappropriate time to think such things. Kai bathed for about 30 minutes before getting out of the water. He wiped his eyes of any excess water before opening his eyes. Pacing up and down the side of the river, he looked for his clothes and towel. 

Click! I took a lot of pictures as I revealed myself to him. He stood in shock before trying to hide his private part. "Haha! Karma can be a , huh?" I said as I waved his towel, jogging lightly to the camp. 

"Leela give me back my clothes!", he yelled.

"You gotta catch me first, punk!" I ran at full speed before getting back to the camp and stood on the other side of the fire. Kai clumsily stumbled towards me, soaking wet. 

"Give me back my clothes"

"Not yet. I want you to embrace the embarrassment. Let us live in the moment", I teased.

"Okay okay we lived in the moment already now give me back my clothes now....please", he said through his teeth.

"It's cool", I stated as I threw his towel and clothes at him, "I have pictures of all your bits and pieces". 

"Give me those pictures too".

"Hell no! I'm keeping them since you have those pictures of me".

"What are you talking about? I deleted them and let you destroy them".

"No you didn't! I saw them on your laptop that you left open at your place. You know it only took one quick click on a suspicious folder to see all the pictures you took of me".

"Okay okay you got me. You can keep these photos and we're even okay. Just leave so I can put on my clothes".

"Fine". I said as I walked into one of the empty trains to cool down. I sat down in one of the red empty seats in the train. The red patterns on the walls were all dusty and faded. The seat across from me looked equally dusty as the rest of the train. 'Why don't the people down here just clean up this place? It could be so much more livable if they just clean up.'

"Leela", Kai tapped my shoulder as I snapped out of my thoughts. "Come on we gotta keep it movin". I nodded as I followed him out of the train, packed our things, and headed towards the dorms. 

Once we got to the dorms, he showed me some vacant rooms but had me out my emergency stuff in the basement part of the dorms. "Why is my dorm in the basement, Kai?"

"Because you are new so you need someone trust worthy to room with you".

"Okay...so who's my roomie?"

"Roomie?"

"Roommate, I mean".

"That would be me. I am your roommate since everywhere else is taken."

"What?! But you said some of the rooms were empty".

"They were empty for now because those rooms are reserved for other newbies to room with my coworkers that I told you about."

"Why don't I room with one of them?"

"Because you only know me and I studied your habits and your background information. Until you make other friends down here who aren't new, you're stuck with me here", he said. I didn't say anything and just nodded. I didn't want to have any more problems with him.

"Okay so what are some of the emergency procedures?", I asked. He explained them all to me and they were quite simple. They were all just common sense so I just listened and payed attention to him. As he continued to talk, I didn't realize I was falling asleep.

"Leela!", he shouted. I woke up instantly. "If it was that boring you could've told me".

"Sorry. I don't know why I was falling asleep. I usually have more energy than that."

"It's fine", he said patting my back. "If you want we can head back?"

"Nah, I'll just take a nap here. You can do whatever, just wake me up when you want to leave".

"Uh sure. I'll be on my laptop then".

"Okay", I said as I closed my eyes. It was only midday and I was already tired. Little did I know that I had a cut on the back of my neck from the sharp tree branches. Kai saw it as I turned to sleep on my stomach, the cut glowing gold for a few seconds before completely turning into new skin. He rubbed his eyes as he couldn't believe what he just saw.