Summer

Drops of Gold

Some months later

"Come on! You can't move slow when you're stealing, Leela". Alyse shouted at me to move faster as I slid down the ladder. Every organ in my body felt as if they were floating in my body as I continued down the steep slope. My hands burned as my hands gripped onto the railing of the ladder, adjusting the pressure on the large rails on the side so as not to injure my hands too much. "Try to keep your body parallel to the ladder", she suggested.

"It's a little difficult to do that when gravity is pulling your body down at top speed", I shouted over the rushing air. I didn't feel any fear due to the drop, I was feeling  anxiety over whether or not I'd be injured. being used to doing extreme things and having my limbs and wounds repair itself made me a bit more braver than before. 

Alyse was right above me as she spread her body out as if she was about to belly flop, slowing down her fall. She moved her legs to step on my back so I could get my feet on the side of the ladder. I could feel her feet using a great deal of strength to push my body down. As she forced my body down, I felt her shoes scratch the surface of my back. I steadied my feet on the rails of the ladder, making me slide down faster. As Alyse and I started seeing the Fog, we tried to slow down our speed by applying pressure from our shoes to the ladder, wearing out some of the leather on it. When we saw the ground below us, Alyse jumped off ahead of me and ran away without a warning. 'Did she really just jump 2 stories down and leave me?', I thought. I instantly felt relief knowing that she wouldn't see the scratches healing even though they probably already healed themselves. 

I jumped off the ladder after I reached the very bottom of it so I don't trip and fall over nothing. I stood facing the way Alyse ran. 'Maybe she's really wary of people following us', I thought as I ran in a random direction. I didn't really care to follow Alyse since I knew she would pop up sometime again later. As I ran, I saw Kai leaving his place. 'Guess I ran too far'.

"Hey Leela", he called out to me. I jogged over to him. Kai was starting to look better and better every time I saw him, which was pretty much every day for about three hours or more on average. Yeah, when you're immortal keeping time is the normal thing to do since you have nothing but time. 

"What's up", I greeted. He opened his arms and leaned toward me as if to give me a hug. I leaned away due to the fact that I knew that I stink of perspiration and I didn't want him to smell it. He looked shocked that I didn't greet him like usual and just pulled on my arms to give me a hug instead.

Ever since our stay in the dorms, we became close quickly. It seemed so silly that we used to fight each other now. And Kai seemed to have gotten used to me hugging him and being touchy that he didn't mind anymore, since then. He was more open to hugging me first sometimes as well. 

"Nothing. I was just wrapping up my duties here and bumped into you", he smiled. He looked over me, noticing all the sweat dripping on me before passing his hand down my face to wipe off some sweat. "You sweat hard and excessively".

"I know", I said. Kai wiped his hand on his pants leaving a sweat patch on the side. "You didn't have to wipe my sweat off. It's gross".

"No. it's not. I sweat like that too so I don't really mind". I racked my brain for memories of hime sweating and I couldn't find any.

"No you don't. I've never seen you sweat. Maybe when I took those photos of you and stole your clothes, but you were still wet from bathing in that lake", I chuckled remembering.

"Wipe that memory from your brain, alright", Kai commanded before changing the subject. "I see Alyse has been training you thoroughly, as expected. Where is she?"

"I don't know. She ran off before I could get to the bottom of the ladder and I didn't bother to try to find her so I just ran any which way to just feel peace with my thoughts". He nodded.

"That makes sense", he acknowledged before opening the door to his place and guiding me inside. I followed him inside and sat on the floor where we usually hang out with the Foxes. Kai offered me some room temperature water that he always has ready whenever I come by. I thanked him as he took a seat in front of me. "Drink the water slowly, please. We don't need you choking today", he teased.

I shook my head at him and just gulped all the water down with a satisfying "ahh" at the end. Taking the cup out of my hand, Kai placed the water in an empty corner before striking up a conversation with me. "So, what do you want?"

"Nothing really, just the pleasure of your company and a nap", I joked.

"You shouldn't be napping in my house, ma'am. You have a larger place to nap in. Just go to Lala land and sleep there".

"Someone's in their feelings", I stated. Kai shrugged it off and grabbed his tablet.

"I'm not but we should watch a movie", he said.

"Nah, let's go to my place so we can watch it on the bigger screens in the back", I suggested. 

On the way to my place, we came across Alyse. Her purple eyes focused on the rest of the Foxes as she trained them in different fighting styles according to each personality. I looked at my newer friends that I had gotten close with since Alyse's training with me started. She wanted to make me join the Foxes due to my skill in escaping emergency situations. My job for now was to train, but when I finished training I would be inaugurated into The Foxes and my job would be to come up with evacuation plans and to secure the ladder while Kai watched over surveillance. 

My newer friends, Amaya and Soli, were in the midst of sparring. Soli's body was immensily strong while Amaya was quick with calculating everyone's next move. I didn't want to disturb their training session so Kai and I just quickly moved past them all.

When we got my TV's set up and laid down some blankets on the inflatable chairs, we sat down and watched some random movie that we found. The more we got interested in the movie, the closer we got to each other. I didn't realize that Kai and I were holding hands and basically cuddling before I moved away. He turned to me, "Why did you move away". It wasn't really a question. He didn't let me respond and he just pulled me back in, embracing me as he focused on the large TV. 

"Cuddle bunny", I teased. I could feel Kai laugh as he my arm comfortingly. Being so close to him and having him hold me felt so nice. It had been a while since I let someone get close to me like this and I didn't want to say anything else or risk ruining the moment. It felt like I could breathe him in forever.