After Effect

Drops of Gold

       Wandering around the city that once thrived, I saw all the remains of cremated citizens that had grey fever. Some of the bodies remained intact but they were still unrecognizable due to the pus filled in their bodies. The more I walked among the dead, the more saddened I felt.

        I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard a crack of some sort closeby. 'How in the hell did I not hear anything when I was recovering', I thought to myself. I felt panic creep over me when I stood still. With a quiet step, I swiftly moved behind an old car with rust indented in between cracks of the car doors and borders. from the direction of the sound, I knew I was out of sight from whatever made that sound. 'I'm just being paranoid aren't I?', part of me argued, 'One can never be too safe' said the other part of me. My brain contradicted itself the more paranoid I got. "It can't be the police. They gave up chasing me. they don't go into the fog. No one goes into the fog", I whispered. I am completely neurotic at this moment.

        I could feel the anxiety build up inside me. 'You're being a wuss. Quit being stupid'. My body started to shake when I felt hands on my shoulders. The hands shook my body as if to see if I was alive and breathing.

        "Is it real?', the voice said. The voice was deep but carried a certain warmth with it. You could tell it was a male becuase of the tonantion and the way he pronounced the words. "Hey!"

        "Yes, I am real now stop shaking me please". As I turned around, I couldn't miss noticing his face. His skin was a pale gold color that was covered with dirt marks and grease. He had plain features but were perfectly placed for his head shape. He had childish deep brown almost black eyes. His hair was a brown black that resembled dark chocolate before milk is added. Small plump rounded lips adorned his face. His lips were pillows, close to perfection. "Do you live down here?"

        "Yeah". Only one syllable to answer my curiousity. He looked away from me and started to walk away from me. 'What happened to him? Does he have some dookie up his '. I walked up next to him, keeping up with his normal pace.

        "Why are you down here", I asked. "How come you didn't get sick with all these bodies around?". No answer from him. He seemed like he was annoyed with me as he kept on a poker face. His silence ticked me off. "Okay, only answer the questions you want to answer", I murmured under my breath, not liking his attitude towards me. "What's your zodiac sign?"

        "Capricorn", he answered sternly. His reply answered everything. he was acting very cold because it's in his nature to be that way with those he doesn't know. "What's your sign?". His question stopped me from analyzing the rest of him, his body, and his personality. I didn't expect him to ask me a question.

        " I'm a gemini". We stopped walking when we came upon a ladder. He made no notionas to what he wanted me to do. "is this going to take me to the city?". Nothing but a nod from him. "That's nice but I am sitting down here. I can make my own way down here using the old house and stores." I walked away from him following the abandoned car-lined streets to nowhere in particular. 'Find a place to stay', I thought to myself. i made a mental note that I should avoid going to the city unless I absolutely need it.

        Along that way, I found an old Wal-mart. It was the one I used to visit with my family. The old wal-mart was as i remembered but dark and slightly decrepit. It had a haunting feel to it. 'Well, Dad always used to say that Wal-mart was possessed since we spent so much money there.' I didn't care about my accomodations. For now it was home.