Ticking

Drops of Gold

When we returned back to The Fog, I told him I was too tired to make these pizzas since we got home so late and just went to sleep, or at least tried to. It's been awhile since I've really dated anyone and the feeling felt so new to me all over again instead of feeling familiar, like most things do. I laid my head down on my pillow, remembering of the first time I felt like I loved someone.

It was when I was 12. I was a chunky and hairy girl paired with my being extremely awkward and weird without knowing it. To sum it all up, I liked him for a long time but he didn't like me back and I never really asked him either. I could just sense it.

At that age, my self-esteem plummeted and never changed as I grew into my teen years. Growing up, I had always felt ugly and unwanted. I was embarrassed being around friends that never really seemed to care if I was around. Being around family was worse because it felt as if they had a specific right to judge you and make you feel terrible to your face. I started to hate being around people but I didn't mind school too much, since all of those kids had known me since 1st grade. They had known me when I behaved as a bully in elementary, which I wasn't proud of, seen me draw into myself and become selfish in middle school, and saw me grow into a wallflower until grey fever hit the state.

All the funerals I went to, really took a toll on me as I had seen every person in the school in their casket as teens. Only a few of them were never found. I always thought that those that weren't found had lived until they could procreate and have children that were immune to the illness.

"I wonder if any of them noticed I'm not with them in heaven", I questioned myself. My mind quickly snapped its attention on my grumbling stomach. "I should have eaten and made the pizzas", I said. "I feel like I should bother Kai, now. It's too late for that now and we just got together, I can't look clingy so early."

"I don't mind clingy", said Kai. I've gotten so used to him popping in to my place that I don't get startled anymore. Kai had the bags from earlier in his hand, and another bag of dough he prepared already.

"How in the world is it that you always come at the right time?"

"I don't know. I kind of get an inkling of when I feel like you need me", he said proudly.

"Well you got my mind off of heaven and you brought food", I commented. As he set up the supplies on a nearby tech center, he turned to look at me as if I said something crazy.

My head backtracked into what I had just said and nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary.

"Heaven huh", he repeated to me.

"Yeah", I confirmed as I still didn't understand his hesitation. "Are you from a different religion or atheist", I asked as if the question itself was fragile.

"No", he said. "It's just I haven't heard anybody talk about Heaven since Krystal". His hand balled into a tight fist momentarily.

"Who's Krystal?"

"She was my partner not too long before I came down here. She was shot and taken to a facility here for deranged criminals"

"Why?"

"She tried to kill me because I stopped following orders from her or anyone associated with politics". I did nothing but stay quiet As he seemed he needed a moment. Kai stayed sill for a bit before he took a look at me and smiled. I felt a little concerned considering how quickly he tried to recuperate and go back to what he was doing. "Just don't talk about heaven around me please". I nodded at his request before I gently pushed him towards my chairs so I could finish up making the pizzas. The whole time I made the pizzas, he stared off into space.

When I finished, I set the hot pies down and sliced them before letting them cool down. Looking over at Kai, I sauntered over to where he was, rubbing his back to bring him back to me. He finally looked at me and came back to earth after comforting him for 10 minutes.

"Sorry", he apologized. He gave me a tight hug.

"It's no problem. Take all the time you need for yourself. I'll be right here whenever you need me", I smiled.

I stood up to grab our pizzas, bringing them with me back to Kai and feeding him one of his slices. At one point he reverted back to the normal Kai I knew, but two things didn't leave my mind as we had our late night pizza date: What goes on in that head of his and what about Heaven and Krystal gets him so shaken up like that?