Now

Drops of Gold

       Heart in my throat and butterflies in my stomach, I breathe heavily with sweat dripping down my back as I sneak away from my apartment through the heating vents. The government is looking for me. They know I have four antidote vials with me and I am not giving them up.

        I see a crossroad of vents. I crawl into the middle of the pathway only to rest for a bit. Feeling the cool air of the summer breeze in the left ventway. I turn to follow the source of the breeze only to see that my escape is to jump from the vent, down 25 stories, through the floating traffic hovers, and down into an abyss of the forgotten city that I was born into. I had nothing to fear so I took a deep breath but couldn't find the strength to let go. 'The heating vents are suffocating me with hot air but I can not let go? I know if the police catch me, I'll be dead but why can't I jump?', I thought.

        Blaring sounds of sirens alerted me to the authorites coming my way. I gathered all my courage and cleared my mind, jumping down into the fog below. The police hovers started to nose dive for me. The fog became increasingly dense the more I fell in. My hands were barely visible even though they were above my head as I dived in deeper in. All became still and quiet for a minute. No sirens, city noises, or hums of hover cars could be heard. I was free-falling. It felt as if I had started to slowly drift down like if I was floating gently down to the ocean floor. I covered my mouth and nose so I could breathe better for less of a drowning effect. My thoughts had come to an abrupt halt when I hit the bottom, earth. I did not feel anything.

        I was spread all over. My limbs twisted, my head cracked open, and my body fractured all over. A warm glowing golden light started to illuminate my "birthmark", making it's light project onto all of my wounds and fractures. The light had me cocooned in warmth as it healed me. It had put my fractures and limbs back into place as if they were an easy puzzle piece designed for children and put back together by an adult. The light began to fade now, leaving me in unscratched and without any marks or blood to show for the damage. My head was back to normal and was comforted by the cool air that began to surround me.

        The time it took to heal me seemed to had taken only three minutes. I checked my black watch and it showed Thursday. The healing process had taken a little bit over a day to have me fully mended and revived.