Spending the Night

Drops of Gold

I decided on sleeping at Alyse house, which was really a large old apartment complex in the middle of Fog. It looked messed up from the outside but from the inside, it was fixed up and redeveloped to look completely new. The decorations were mainly red, orange, white, gray, and black color schemes using the brightness of the colors to liven up the minimalistic design inside. Fox silhouettes and designs occasionally adorned a small piece of the dark colored walls, demanding eyes notice the foxes bright colors. Each fox was a vibrant watercoloring.

"Leela, quit daydreaming. That's your problem when it comes to fighting", Alyse commented. We were climbing up a rope ladder to the top floor where her room was. My muscles grew tired but the pain did not affect me as I was used to doing strenuous and lengthy workouts with the Foxes.

"Why you always got something negative to say, Alyse? Quit talking about training now. We have a guest", said Amaya. Amaya was one of the Foxes, she was a very petite girl with light skin that rivaled the dark gold glow of sunset. She had some spots on her body and face that were dry patches of skin. When I asked her during training, she explained that she had eczema. Amaya had her hair dyed a dark blonde, matching the color of an orange tabby cat.

"I'm just saying", continued Alyse, "she has to get better at fighting. We want her to get stronger just in case anything happens or if she has a formidable opponent".

"Okay we get that, but she has plenty of time to do that. It's not like people come down here all the time."

"That's true", Soli interrupted, "This place only has 46 people down here and it's the reason why we can all fit in those dorms". Soli's dark brown skin gleamed in the light of the elevator. She was short in stature and curvy. Her hair was in transformation, going from tight coily 4C hair in the back to straight hair on the crown of her head, and getting longer from the short haircut she had. Soli always had a smile on her face whenever you talked to her, giving off a vibrant and cheerful aura. "And most people down here end up dying from loneliness really quickly".

"But you all are alive", I said. "You guys have lived down here since you were kids". I was confused at the thought that people die from loneliness down here than the dead bodies that are rotting on the roads in some parts of the city.

"That's because we already have our partners. We all kind of paired off down here when we were growing up", said Alyse.

"Oh really now", I teased. The elevator stopped and opened its doors before we all stepped out into a penthouse. Alyse guided us to the couches that were located in the living room area which would've been two large rooms away. The black walls had the red and orange foxes designs leading the way to everything.  "Which one is your boyfriend", I asked.

Alyse smiled kindly at the thought. "It's Manish of course", she blushed. "Can't you tell?"

"Actually I didn't know any of you were in relationships so...no I couldn't tell. But you guys are cute together", I said. "Now what about you two maidens?"

"I'm dating Columbus", said Soli.

"And I got Francisco", said Amaya. As I thought about the pairs, a thought entered my head.

"What about Madison?", I asked.

"She's has Baek", answered Soli. I guess she knew what I was going to ask her after her statement. "Baek is the guy in charge of supplies with Kai, Lay, and Tao. I still don't know why she chose Baek of all people. He's very rambunctious, loud, and irritatingly annoying".

"What does he look like?", I asked.

"Madison can tell you better than any of us can. But a brief description of him would be that he has dark brown hair, he is about the same height as Columbus, and he has a recognizable smile", said Soli. In my head, I wondered why I never got to meet the people that worked with Kai but I guess it's because everyone is so busy that they don't have time to meet new folks. At least that's what I remembered what Kai said last time we talked about it.

"Maybe you'll meet him and the other two soon", said Amaya.

"Why do you say that", I inquired.

"Because you guys are close, no", stated Alyse.

"Not that close. Aren't you all close to him as well", I continued. "I mean, Kai seems to treat us all of the same". I was confused at their question. From my perspective, it always felt like Kai was treating us all the same. It was just that I was catching feelings.

"No, he's just taken a liking to you", said Amaya. I didn't reply back to that. I didn't need to since I was going to be gone anyways. I always thought I could stay down here but maybe I'll find some other place down here where no one has gone before.

"Technically we all have Amaya", Soli interjected. "You're like family to us now and you're welcome to stay here with us forever".

"Forever is a short period of time", I said dimly. If only they knew what I knew, but I know that telling them will only hurt them. I've seen it plenty of times in my years of living but then again, my brain has never fully developed to an adult brain so I might just be thinking a little too irrationally.

The three of them didn't seem to understand what I was saying to them. They all just looked at me and gave me a hug due to the dismal atmosphere I created around us. As we continued chatting, we lost track of the time and fell asleep.