Up There

Drops of Gold

The next morning, I left early. Everything stood still in time with nothing moving or making a remote sound. Even the wind was quiet, whispering faintly in my ears to tell me that time was still going as I walked in the faint light of daybreak peaking in from the night. This ambivalent feeling of walking in the future but being stuck in the past forever was unnerving at times and caused anxiety for me. But, I still move on, watching different eras and time periods pass by.

I arrived home within an hour of walking with my thoughts;They talked with me on the way as an old friend, reviewing both the good times and the bad. I also thought about Kai's words to me from a couple of months ago, "If you cause harm to the people here because of some issue you have, I will personally end you".

"What is the worst he could do", I asked myself. I thought of all the things that could happen to me but nothing beats this feeling of emptiness and regret all mixed in with guilt. 'I should've never taken that cure and just died with my family. I would've been alone then but it would've ended quicker.'

'If anything, it would have saved me plenty of tears and nightmares. I never would have had to witness everyone who helped me throughout my life pass away along with their children. I would never have to be on the run and no one would be hunting me at all. I wouldn't have to be a legend up there either', I thought. I closed my eyes as I laid on my bed, ready to experience the feeling of blissful death. "Take me away", I prayed.

"To where", a sudden voice asked. My eyes remained closed as I felt my bed sink in with Kai's head landing on the pillow next to me.

"Anywhere where there's nobody around", I sighed.

"Why? Do you hate me again", he asked. I shook my head.

"No. I just wish I could disappear", I said into my pillow hoping to smother myself. Kai stayed silent and just rubbed my back. As he rubbed circles into my back, I turned my head to face him on the next pillow. "You can disappear with me if you want", I muttered. I didn't want him to feel sorry for me since this is a normal feeling for me that I've grown used to it.

"That would be nice. I could finally get away from those headaches in the Band of Foxes", he laughed. All I could do was muster up a slight smile for him. "Keep smiling, it can lift up your mood even if you're faking it".

"Alright, Kai". I didn't move an inch as I just stared at his face and let my thoughts roam free. He didn't break eye contact with me as he continued to smile at me. It was one of those weird things he does to get me to smile because he knows that his is contagious. His hand reached over to push my messy hair away leaving my ear exposed to air along with the side of my face.

"You know", he continued, "You can tell me what's going through your head, Leela". I nodded. I didn't want to say anything to him, knowing that it wouldn't solve anything. He didn't know the things that I have seen or the places I've been. He doesn't even know the real reason that i'm down here, but I wish he could. I wish that could know and understand me so that I won't have to be alone. And even if I did tell him, he would end up dying in the long run.

"I don't want to be here", I vocalized.

"Well, you can always leave. You don't have to stay here if you don't want to", he said. "But if you do leave, please write to me. I still want to be close with you". I gave him a real smile this time. "And don't forget either".

"Haha I won't. I won't be leaving down here for awhile, I'm just feeling kind of lazy".

"Well saying that you want to disappear doesn't sound like laziness from the way that you're saying it", he spoke. At this point I just felt like changing the subject since I was feeling uncomfortable.

"You know what can cure this feeling", I asked him. Kai just shrugged in response. "Some pizza will do nicely at this moment".

"Where from?"

"I can make one since I'm not all the way hungry yet", I stated. "Actually, both of us are going to make one because I can eat a whole pizza myself". I rolled over Kai to get to the edge of the bed, standing up as soon as I was going to fall off.

"Can I make a small one? I want chicken instead".

"Where are we going to get chicken, down here? There's no live ones running around down here and there's definitely no preserved chicken here either".

"You're silly", he laughed, "We can get it from up there. They have an abundance of fried chicken and I know someone up there who can supply it to me".

"Why-". Kai covered my mouth as he shushed me to be quiet.

"Don't worry about that. It's only chicken". As I removed his hand from my mouth, I noticed Kai had a mark around his ring finger with lighter skin making it slightly noticeable against the darker shade covering his hand and body. 'Was he married before? Where was his wedding ring? Why would he have a ring if they're from my time? Wedding rings have never been traditional since after people made a cure for grey fever and administered it all over the world'.

Kai seemed to have noticed me staring at his ring finger and went to grab my hand. He rushed us out of Lala Land as we ran towards the ladder in the outskirts of The City. He never let go of my hand while we ran and he made sure to go up the ladder first so I couldn't stare at it. The only thing he did when we ran miles to the ladder was talk about food. I let the thought pass my head as if it never happened. 'It would be impossible for Kai to know about wedding rings. Maybe it is just a ring he had before without any meaning that he lost down here', I thought. 'Kai can't be from my time'.