Unwanted Tourist

Drops of Gold

Leela POV

'I can't believe I'm walking around this place with a guy that just saw me ', I thought to myself. 'Why can't we have a normal friendship?'
Kai guided me through The Fog. It gets cleaner the more you head into the inner part of the little city. There were a few people outside but not enough to erase the feeling of it being a ghost town. "Kai are you sure people aren't outside 'cuz they don't trust me? I mean it seems like a city of hermits."
"Yes, I'm sure. I'm pretty sure you'll gain their trust soon though. You don't seem threatening at all".
"But you said it could take me up to six months".
"No I didn't. I said you could worry about it in six months, meaning if you don't gain their trust in six months, you're going to get banished and someone will report you."
"Report me? But everyone down here is a criminal".
"No. Some of us are runways, or just people with a clean record trying to escape the public eye".
"You mean the tracking devices built on every piece of technology invented right?"
"Correct". 
'I guess I'm walking on eggshells now but I do have a simple idea of getting the citizens to trust me. Maybe if I talked with the locals in public, where everyone can see, they would see I'm not up to anything bad'. I walked alongside Kai as he pointed out the buildings where I can trade for necessities and go for help if I needed. This city almost felt like a real booming city, by the way he described it. Each building had its purpose in serving the community.
Sooner or later, we arrived at a peculiar little cottage-looking-place. It was made of huge stones, mud, straw, and something that looked like tree bark. The cottage was adorned by weeds and green grass with little daisies that peek at you on occasion. "What is this place?", I wondered. 
"It's the end of the tour! No more stragglers hissing and yelling at you".
"But you still didn't answer-"
"It's my personal house. 


'His personal house?'
"So you mean to say the other guys don't live here?"
"No. We all have personal houses but we choose to live together sometimes", he said. As we walked inside, I noticed that he has an old laptop with the ladder on the screen and the time and date in the lower right corner. 'I guess that's how he knows when new people come to the Fog.' The whole living room portion was empty besides the fireplace and that one laptop. 
"What are we gonna do here?", I asked.
"We are gonna stock up your supplies and have you pick a dorm in case of emergencies", Kai said.
"What kind of emergencies could there possibly be down here", I wondered. "It's pretty much peaceful down here all the time."
"Well, you should know that it's October. The days are getting colder". He started packing supplies for me which included following him to the little room in the basement of the cottage. 
"Okay, that's what happens every year", I urged him to continue. 
"That means those bodies down here may or may not come back to life briefly".
"You mean a zombie apocalypse?"
"No. There isn't that many but there is still enough to ruin the city", he said furrowing his eyebrows. Kai opened the room, which was stocked with all kinds of weapons. There were mainly guns and blades packed in there. "They come back to life because of certain experiments that went on during the revolution. Doctors everywhere tried to come up with a cure for Grey fever but at the time, there were only few people who wanted to test it out. You couldn't test anything on animals so people were used. They took the people that were about to die and injected them with the "cures".
They all died of course but one doctor foundation way to make them live longer. He injected patients with some kind of liquid and it worked. He soon had every hospital and house hold administer his cure to those who were infected. Most of the patients died in the process and some lived. Those that lived only lived for a few weeks before they died. That cure had something in it that makes those certain patients come back to life every year at the same time the cure was injected. They die at the same time that they died before." Kai finished packing guns and weapons into my bag for me and lead me back upstairs.
"So why would they ruin the city?", I asked.
"It's because government officials send down troops to kill them and the troops won't differentiate between us and those patients. They will burn down places where we live and kill people who are not sick. That's why we have dorms away far away from the Fog and we carry weapons just in case they discover us." I nodded, trying to process all that information. "Officials know about us down here but it's secretive so they end up killing the troops when they come back with information", he said. 
Kai lead us out of his cottage and back into the open. 
We walked further away from the city into where more of the old ruins are. We walked about 20 miles before we took a break. The sun was setting so we decided to make a little campfire and spend the night around some old trains on tracks that didn't lead you to anywhere in particular. 
The night enveloped us in blackness as the light from the fire illuminated our faces and the nearby trains. And even though it was foggy down here, you could see little stars dotting the sky sometimes. "So Kai, how do you know so much about government and history? They don't even teach you that in the schools up there."
"I used to work for them", he yawned. He wiped his face with the edge of his black long sleeved shirt. "I quit when they started making new monitoring laws and when I found out some of their suspicious activity. I didn't want any part of it anymore so I ran away."
He looked as if he didn't want to talk about it anymore so I just left him alone for the night. "Hey Leela", he mumbled.
"Yeah"
"You don't seem suspicious to me"
"Why would I seem suspicious?"
"Because you speak like an old person. You have no scars on your body. You didn't know about vaccines. Sometimes you speak I. That dead language. You know how to work old technology..."
"Okay okay that's a lot of things. Now get to the point", I said as I rushed him.
"You seem innocent to me besides all of that. You're extremely down to earth and not once have you lied". 
"How do you know I've never lied?".
"I'm trained to know when a person is lying or not. Trust me, it's easier to point out once you know how complex humans are and how we've evolved."
'Yeah but I don't evolve. He probably has one less toe on his foot from humans evolving', I thought. "I guess I seem hella suspect at times".
"Hella suspect?", he questioned.
"I mean suspicious". We laughed at my "old" use of words and eventually ended up having a laughing fit. It wasn't funny enough to make us laugh like that, but I guessed that it was just our sleepiness talking.
I reached over for my bottle of water and purée it over the fire before I settled into the cool ground. My large blanket Warming me up instantly. "Goodnight Kai", I sighed before closing my eyes.
"Goodnight Leela. I'll wake you up early so we can get to the dorms faster."
"Okay cool". I fell into a deep sleep instantly. I heard Kai say something but I was too tired to hear the words. Drowning out the world, I re-animated mine in my dreams.


I think I can finally update this more since the writer's block went away!! Thanks for bearing with me