Sparring

Drops of Gold

"Keep your eyes open!", warned Alyse as I was getting bombarded with punches from Columbus, one of the Foxes. Although Columbus was shorter than some of the guys, his strength was nothing to mess with. It seemed like it could knock down Soli if she wasn't careful. Columbus had an almost shaved head and a slightly pushed back hair line from the lineup he had.

"How the hell am I supposed to keep my eyes open?!", I complained. With a swift hand, he faked me out by making me perceive his next hit to be my face. As he firmly grabbed my arm, he quickly jumped behind me to reach my arm behind my back and against my shoulder blade. I was flexible enough for that not to hurt as he held my arm in place, using his other arm to lock my body on his so I couldn't move. Alyse looked annoyed with me in the process.

"You need to keep your eyes open so you can not just predict his next move, but also to see if your prediction was correct", she demonstrated. Columbus was slowly moving my arm up further my back as I finally started feeling some pain.

"Well she is super flexible. You should teach her a martial art that incorporates that", Columbus suggested.

"I know she's flexible and quick but she doesn't keep her eyes open", she commented, "But still, all martial arts incorporate flexibility into a training regimen". Her purples eyes were riddled in thought. Alyse's hair in a braided up-do did not show how hard she trained as each strand remained in place despite her scattered thoughts. Columbus seemed to be thinking just as hard.

"Why not just have me do capoeira instead", I inserted snarkily. They all looked at me as if I were crazy.

"What is capoeira?", Columbus asked.

"It's nothing. I just made something up", I said. I'd rather they perceive me as if I were crazy than what they would originally have in mind if they ever found out about me. A sharp pain shot through my arm. With my somewhat free arm, I tapped on Columbus's stomach three times. He took that as a signal to let go. 'Thank goodness tapping out never got lost in history', I thought.

"Well Leela", she sighed tiredly, "just go home for today. We'll try to get you to stop closing your eyes two days from now". Alyse tried not to let me see her frustration with me, which I admit did make me feel disappointed in myself. She smiled as best as she could but I knew it was a sincere smile, as her dimples did not reveal themselves to me.

"Alright, I'll go. You go relax, Alyse", I said. She gave me a surprised look as I jokingly whispered, "Your stress is showing". The dimples appeared! Even Columbus had to hide a smile at my comment.

As I was leaving, I finally noticed that the sun was about to fall to the other side of the earth. It was getting dark outside but I only had about 15 minutes of light to get back to my house. I didn't want to go to La la land today. I just wanted to go home, my original home down here.

I took my time walking through the town, passing each building and house as I remembered the landmarks that led me to where I currently live, leading me straight to my rickety old house. Walking up the stairs and going into my parents bedroom flooded me with all the memories of all the times I laid in between my parents on their bed. I sat on the old bed, hearing an all too familiar squeak that let me know when my parents were awake and walking around. 'I miss you. No matter how much I avoided you and said regretful things, I hope you miss me too.' The familiarity of it all was overwhelming and I just broke down at the sight of my mom's old dresser where she had all her jewelry, skin products, and perfumes. Although the scent of living humans has been gone for centuries, I could still smell her fragrance she put on as she was leaving for church on Sundays and how it would never leave her clothes until she took a shower.

Tears were spilling over my face when I thought of my nephews and nieces and how the family would gather in this room. One by one, each family member disappeared from that vision in my head, reminding me of how I couldn't find the antidote to grey fever soon enough.

Just before the vision went away along with the people in it, the image of my new family came into my head. Vivid and detailed images of Alyse, Kai, and the foxes helped to calm me down a bit. I knew that someday I'd have to leave them as well as the other families I left behind with the passing years of being immortal. 'How can I leave them?', I thought to myself. 'They have done so much for me. And it's cruel to leave them behind when they start noticing that I'm not aging'. I rubbed the temples on my head as I stressed myself out. 'I made a huge mistake. I shouldn't have gotten close to Kai at all. I know I have a crush on him but I know if I stay around him too much, I'll get comfortable. I can't take that risk. Besides, if Kai ever finds out he will kill me. He might be disgusted at me too since I'm an old lady.' The thought of Kai and everyone else being angry at me pushed the thought of migration back into my head. The question was: Where could I possibly Go?

Questions and fear clouded my mind so I thought it would be best if I just leave. I know I couldn't stay in there forever as I might hallucinate and probably kill myself but keep on coming back to life. I decided not to go to my house because I don't want to be alone with my thoughts and I don't want to be near Kai or anyone else I'm close to but I don't think I have an option.