Gold Blush

Drops of Gold

Kai POV


'Chapstick, turmeric, cinnamon, cinnabon, books', thought Kai, 'why does she have seasonings in her bags? Is she a cook?' There is nothing in her bag. Leela is either a really smart cop or a glutton. 

Looking through her bag is pointless. There are  no threatening weapons, badges, nothing that would prove her to be with the police. She almost seems innocent but her actions say otherwise. She looks like a normal runaway but something about her makes me suspicious as if she's hiding something. 

I know she's hiding something. She uses strange words, speaks with a strange accent, but behaves like us. Maybe she could be one of those mythological aliens? 

"I give up", I say as I put all her things back as she had left them. 'Maybe searching in her personal belongings is stupid. I should check for things in plain sight.' Walking towards the shelves of stocked supplies, I desperately began to search for anything. Anything that would prove me right but there is nothing.

As I scan the aisles, I hear Leela singing. Lovely tunes flow through the air, filling each molecule of oxygen with musical notes. Her voice is bright and she has a clear vibrato when she sings the high and low notes. 

I followed the sound of her voice. That's when I noticed she was hiding behind some plants. 'She probably has tattoos that reveal her loyalty to the law'. I climbed up the structure of bicycles, getting high enough to see all of her body and high enough to conceal myself. "Where are her tattoos?", I thought aloud to myself. "She has no distinguishable scars or markings. Maybe she is innocent?"
'Bull'. The small gleam of sunlight shone on her chest and stomach revealing barely noticeable birthmark. In that split second, I noticed it was shaped like a tornado. I started to takes pictures of it for research. I may or may not have taken a couple full body pictures of her, but I accidentally used the flash feature on my phone.

Leela took notice and immediately wrapped a towel around her and walked amongst the aisles. I didn't realize I was leaning forward on the edge of the structure. My hand that was preventing me from falling was slipping from the railing. "oh !!!" I fell down before I even got the chance to catch myself on the railings underneath. 

"The hell are you doing?", Leela shouted. "Were you taking pictures of me while I was showering?" I had no idea how to explain myself. I can't say I was searching through her things or implanting cameras. I definitely couldn't tell her I was taking pictures of her to search her background. "KAII IM GONNA KILL YOU". She wasted no time in kicking my and handing it back to me. 

I swear it felt like I was being stampeded on by wildebeests and elephants. Each punch left me with scratches and excruciating pain. She is stronger than any guy. "Okay okay! I surrender quit hitting me!"

"Not until you explain yourself", she said.

" I was taking photos of you", I admitted. At that moment her slap echoed throughout Wonderland and left a stinging vibration on my cheek. 

"You mothering ert!" Leela threw my phone and broke it. 

'It's too late. I already have them saved', I thought. 

"Wipe that ing smirk off your face before I beat your again", she said.

"You don't have to do that. You already broke my phone." I stood up, trying not to show any pain on my face. As I tried to meet her eyes I noticed her cheeks were a gold color than her skin. She was blushing haha. I don't even think she noticed her towel fell off when she slapped me again. I kneeled back down to get her towel and wrap it around her. The blush intensified as I tucked in the towel. "Don't worry, Leela. I won't do anything to you", I winked at her as I gave off a smile. " I was just curious. Besides remember how our signs are incompatible?" She nodded. "This", I said as I traced her s, "are probably the reason why".

"You have the nerve to call my chest small when you were taking pictures of it?"

"Hey, I was taking pictures so I can laugh about it with the guys when I get back home".

"Does that mean I can take pictures of your crotch for your non-existing ?", she spat back. It struck a nerve.

"Oh, so you were checking me out, huh?"

"Just leave. I'm not going to get into it with your boy attitude today."

"boy? What is that?". 'I swear she only uses old time phrases and words'.

"Never mind that. Just get out!". She walked past me and disappeared into a different aisle. She must've went to dress up but I still followed her. I heard her talking angrily to herself before she sniffled. She probably didn't notice that I was watching her. I saw a tear fall out from her eye. Instantly, I felt guilt pour over me. 'I had to do it but I didn't mean to make her sad'.

Once she was dressed and not tearing up anymore, I went up to her. "I'm sorry, Leela. I didn't mean to make you insecure about your body", I said as she listened to me. "I didn't know how to explain myself". 

"It's no big deal", said Leela. "I insulted you, too. Remember?"

"Yeah but that was just a natural response", I nervously continued, "You have a great body anyways. It's very toned and uhh........y". She stared at me as if I were crazy for saying that.

"Thanks. Your junk is a nice size...I guess".
I laughed a bit at her comment.

"Thanks", I said.
After a few seconds of silence she spoke up.

"Let's just forget about it and act normal."

"Okay cool", I sighed. 

Along the long walk back to her backpack and bags, I flashed a smile at her and whispered in her ear, "By the way, thanks for the view. I enjoyed seeing you ".