Settling In

Drops of Gold

        I set up a "bed" for myself using the old air mattresses and blankets in the store. It had felt like the time I'd stayed with my brother's family when they fell sick.

        His face was pale with the red blotches making him look weird. "Big Brother, you look like the Ferocious beast", I laughed as he let out a weak one. "Say 'Great Googly Moogly' so you can complete your new look". 

        "Great Googly Moogly", he wheezed. My heart cracked as he smiled at me. My once strong and healthy brother was now deteriorating into an old man, aging everyday and dying slowly. I guessed that he could feel the coldness I was radiating off of him. 'If only there was a way I could save them all', i thought. Big Brother punched my leg roughly. "Don't be getting all soft on me soldier. I can still kick your while I'm in this bed", he tried to cheer me up, "If you don't stop your crying I'll tickle you! Just because Mom and Dad are gone doesn't mean I'll go easy on you. They would've wanted me to teach you to be strong so quit crying. Go visit my family at the grave if you want to cry but don't bring this depressing stuff to me. I'm not dead yet, Lala."

        Memories of friends and family flooded my mind along with the guilt I have for taking them for granted. 'If only I had gotten the antidote sooner for them but it wouldn't have saved them all'.

        The store made me feel lonely again as I tried not to cry. The tears burned down my cheeks, trailing their wet remains in their salty tracks. I wanted to stifle the feeling but I couldn't, I just couldn't hold it in any longer. My sob eventually came out but only because I knew that I needed to forget it all. It wasn't my fault they died. 'Yes it is', my mind argued back. "No it's not. I didn't know about the antidote yet and they are resting peacefully now. It's been centuries since their deaths' but I need to get over it." The remorse and melancholy remained engraved on the inside. Gratitude gradually swept over me, calming me a bit, to know that no can hear me from down here. Not even the government.

        My sobbing stopped when I decided to clean myself up. I had grabbed some wipes, soaps, and water bottles to bathe myself. There was some power left in Wal-mart. the television sets switched on and I watched a couple movies after I had clothed myself. Movies like Finding Nemo, The Mortal Instruments, and all the Bruce Lee movies kept me entertained. Everything I ate was junkfood and canned food i could heat up by making a fire on some of the old broken scanners.

        Within the next few days, I had settled into my new home. I secretly named it, "La La Land". It was seemingly brand new thanks to the cleaning and redocorating and restoring of the lights I did. Settling in kept my mind pre-occupied which is what I'd hope for to keep me numb. Afterwards, I had made the decision to go out and find my old house and places I felt comfortable in, my new empire.